Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bird (Sparrow?) in work

• 23-06-2012 9:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Hello everyone.

There was a bird in the office this morning - a small one like a sparrow, probably is a sparrow, I haven't had a close look.

It was hiding behind some bins, but eventually someone got it in his hands and brought it outside.

It seems to have been here overnight and, unfortunately, it seems quite weak and can't fly away, so they've put it in a box with a muffin and some water to see if it eats and gets stronger later.

In the meantime, what, if anything, should we do with it?

Wait and see? If it remains weak we can't exactly leave it in the office until tomorrow, so it will probably be left outside to it's fate - I wouldnt fancy it's chances against a cat in this state.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,454 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It might be a chick that is just out of the nest and doesn't have much skill at flying just yet.

The muffin might not be the best food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Leave it a while in the box and then check on it. We had one fly into the window at work and it was like that - just sitting in the grass. I put it in a box while I was at a meeting came back down and when I lifted the box it flew away. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Probably just a bit tired from possibly flying against the window trying to get out. A bit of rest should do. If you put him in a covered box, so it's dark inside, he'll probably sleep. When you're leaving the office, bring the box outside and open it. He'll probably wake and fly then.

Recently I found a blue tit outside the local shop. Didn't seem injured and didn't mind when I picked him up. I put him on my finger and cycled up the road. About half a mile up the road, he flew off, no bother. The sparrow will probably fly when he's able/good and ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭antocann

Des wrote: »
    Hello everyone.

There was a bird in the office this morning - a small one like a sparrow, probably is a sparrow, I haven't had a close look.

I was hiding behind some bins, but eventually someone got it in his hands and brought it outside.

It seems to have been here overnight and, unfortunately, it seems quite weak and can't fly away, so they've put it in a box with a muffin and some water to see if it eats and gets stronger later.

In the meantime, what, if anything, should we do with it?

Wait and see? If it remains weak we can't exactly leave it in the office until tomorrow, so it will probably be left outside to it's fate - I wouldnt fancy it's chances against a cat in this state.

remind me not to read half asleep .

not much you can do , i was giving 2 birds that fell of a room before , all the vet wanted to do was put them to sleep

Advertisement