Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

derelict house between kenmare and killarney

Options
  • 23-06-2012 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

I was travelling from kenmare to killarney the other day and roughly half way there is an old 2 story house on the left facing a lake on the right. Just wondering does anyone know any history of this house as im suprised its never been snapped up considering its amazing location,from what i seen it was the only house around the mountains.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭MP62

bizzyb wrote: »
    I was travelling from kenmare to killarney the other day and roughly half way there is an old 2 story house on the left facing a lake on the right. Just wondering does anyone know any history of this house as im suprised its never been snapped up considering its amazing location,from what i seen it was the only house around the mountains.
    It used to be a pub, maybe it couldn't compete with "Ladies view" and "Moll gaps", I don't know but maybe there's a business opportunity there for you.
    Btw there are two other houses near by as well, both bungalows, one is derelict and about 200 meters on the Kenmare side and the other is about 1/2 mile towards Kenmare, it's occupied and is an "adopt a sheep" farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭sneem-man

The Shepherds Rest was the name of the pub,I think it shut in the early 80's,If memory serves me correctly it had two swinging doors (Like you'd see in the old western movies) Sorry about the lack of info...

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭whistlingtitan

sneem-man wrote: »
    The Shepherds Rest was the name of the pub,I think it shut in the early 80's,If memory serves me correctly it had two swinging doors (Like you'd see in the old western movies) Sorry about the lack of info...
    It was on the market a few years back for 10k lience and all but no takers because of the back story with it

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

It was on the market a few years back for 10k lience and all but no takers because of the back story with it
    What do you mean when you say the back story with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

Feck it - fill us in on the back story. I very very vaguely remember hearing something about this but I think it might have been 20 years ago.

• Advertisement

take what you will from this story its as best i can remember hearing it

sometime in the early ish eighties the owner past on after a night of drink and something odd is meant to have happened (dont know) and the pub land and lake was passed on to his son a fairly straight late 30 ish man who began running it and it was back then a busy spot good few houses around it with no other nearby pub and the day time trade was very good with busses and passing trade
    but late one night he was drinking himself in the pub and after a few was heading home to leave some staff to finish up when he was accosted by an ealdery gentleman and told not to drive as something bad was about to happen he brushed it off (not langers now just a few) and headed off home but after travling some miles reemembered something or for whatever reason turned and headed back to the pub and ended up driving straight into the lake right in frount of the pub and died now the strange bit
    it is said localy that late at night if you are there you can see lights at the bottom of the lake and that strange things happen in the pub its self

it was bought and sold a few times in the 90s but never stayed open long due to what seams very differant and strange reasons
    idle for a long time now oh yea nearly forgot the pub use to run boats there for either just a boat trip or fishing but rummor has it that after that nobody ever caught a fish again there and at the time i was told this nobody knows what happened the boats on the lake either( they were row boats)
    so if you want a hand cheap business it is there oub lake and land (several fields)

sometime in the early ish eighties the owner past on after a night of drink and something odd is meant to have happened (dont know) and the pub land and lake was passed on to his son a fairly straight late 30 ish man who began running it and it was back then a busy spot good few houses around it with no other nearby pub and the day time trade was very good with busses and passing trade
    but late one night he was drinking himself in the pub and after a few was heading home to leave some staff to finish up when he was accosted by an ealdery gentleman and told not to drive as something bad was about to happen he brushed it off (not langers now just a few) and headed off home but after travling some miles reemembered something or for whatever reason turned and headed back to the pub and ended up driving straight into the lake right in frount of the pub and died now the strange bit
    it is said localy that late at night if you are there you can see lights at the bottom of the lake and that strange things happen in the pub its self

it was bought and sold a few times in the 90s but never stayed open long due to what seams very differant and strange reasons
    idle for a long time now oh yea nearly forgot the pub use to run boats there for either just a boat trip or fishing but rummor has it that after that nobody ever caught a fish again there and at the time i was told this nobody knows what happened the boats on the lake either( they were row boats)
    so if you want a hand cheap business it is there oub lake and land (several fields)

Have got to say I never heard that. Nor had I ever heard that it and the licence were on the market for 10k, I know people who would have paid that and lots more and would no more have cared about superstitions. We don't live in a story by Peig, scared of banshees and curses! If you know people who know about it, tell them I'll rustle up the 10k by next week if that really is the asking price...I'd be surprised if that's correct but happy to take advantage if so.

Know a fellow who lives within walking distance from it so will ask him.

I understood it did good business cos there was a path from the Black Valley up behind it. Then Kate Kearneys began getting the Valley trade and Molls Gap and Ladies View got the bus trade so business just fell away.

Will check it out. Had of course heard of the haunting at Derrycunnihy Church. But nothing at Looscanagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I first past this pub back in '92.

Always wondered about it , reckoned it had to be a viable business with the passing business going to Moll's Gap.

Saying that , the lake in front of the pub always seems ' cold ' and rather dark. Perhaps it's in shadow a lot or something.

Thanks for the story whistlingtitan, Ill have to ask my Mother in Law now , she is from Killarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

I'm scared

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

nice story,,,,is it true?

this is anyway,,,

their was a man called john mullane who drowned in the early eighties in the lake , was misadventure though , he was bet that he could not swim out to a rock and back ,he made it out but alas he never made it back , drink was involved and it was the ultimate price to pay for their bravado or whatever you would call it , i knew john personally and he was a gent.

• Advertisement

You didn't "seen" it, you saw it and yes that's the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Gluteus maximus

Have driven past it often myself and wondered what the story was - would be a great spot for a decent pub lunch, sitting outside next to the lake etc.

The auctioneer's board up on it a few years ago was yer man Tom Spillane from Killarney.

But beware - believe nothing an auctioneer tells you!!!

Conor74 wrote: »

Have got to say I never heard that. Nor had I ever heard that it and the licence were on the market for 10k, I know people who would have paid that and lots more and would no more have cared about superstitions. We don't live in a story by Peig, scared of banshees and curses! If you know people who know about it, tell them I'll rustle up the 10k by next week if that really is the asking price...I'd be surprised if that's correct but happy to take advantage if so.

Know a fellow who lives within walking distance from it so will ask him.

I understood it did good business cos there was a path from the Black Valley up behind it. Then Kate Kearneys began getting the Valley trade and Molls Gap and Ladies View got the bus trade so business just fell away.

Will check it out. Had of course heard of the haunting at Derrycunnihy Church. But nothing at Looscanagh.

True or not that is the story I heard the price I know was right at 2001 as I looked at it back then

As for the guy who died swimming heard that but don't remember it been linked to the story of the pub

MP62 wrote: »
    You didn't "seen" it, you saw it and yes that's the place.
    Seen, saw.....who give's a s%*t. Oh and just too correct you its not "is this the place i saw" it is "is this the place i have seen".:p

True or not that is the story I heard the price I know was right at 2001 as I looked at it back then

They must have had the worst auctioneer ever!

Because in 2001 pub licences alone were worth about £150,000 and hard nosed businessmen all over the country who didn't give a hoot about alleged hauntings or sad stories were out looking for them all over the place. ;)

Who was selling it for 10k?

Seen, saw.....who give's a s%*t. Oh and just too correct you its not "is this the place i saw" it is "is this the place i have seen".:p
    It's to not too, oh and you're still wrong about seen, it's saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭chalkie 501

This is a great thread,
    not only am i learning about a "haunted" pub but i'm also getting an english lesson:)
    thanks chaps,i be needing the proper speak talk goodo 4!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

It's earie around that place. I felt it in me waters even before I heard the haunted story.
    Nevertheles, I once walked up to the cottage on the other side of the lake and it had been used as a drug den full of matresses, used needles and what not. Horrid.

This is a great thread,
    not only am i learning about a "haunted" pub but i'm also getting an english lesson:)
    thanks chaps,i be needing the proper speak talk goodo 4!!:D
    Nice one I'll learn you good and proper;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59,610 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

We'll all be teached to talk dacent and write proper to/too :)

MP62 wrote: »
    Nice one I'll learn you good and proper;).
    It is not learn it is teach.:D

It is not learn it is teach.:D
    I seen my learnings are n't losst on yous

• Registered Users Posts: 59,610 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

You misspelt 'yous', MP62- it should be 'youses' (i.e. plural form) ;):D

Advertisement