Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beat 102-103

Options
  • 23-06-2012 9:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

The TV3 of local radio. With the exception of the old skool show on a sunday afternoon, this is without doubt the biggest mess of a station I've ever encountered.

The news readers (at least the one I've just heard) sound like they're in 1st Class reading Ann & Barry aloud to the class.

The music is horrible, the ads are constant and in your face.

(The great idea was to sell advertising to companies at a discount as long as they paid for a full year. This means that we get to hear the same ads, from the same businesses, constantly, all year long)

Crap like the Beat Tweet is cringe worthy as we get to listen to whatever crap celebrity has waffled about next.

Like TV3, it is a fountain of unoriginality, drowning the region in mediocrity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I quite like beat breakfast TBH but I very rarely listen to the radio. MP3 players put an end to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

The TV3 of local radio. With the exception of the old skool show on a sunday afternoon, this is without doubt the biggest mess of a station I've ever encountered.

The news readers (at least the one I've just heard) sound like they're in 1st Class reading Ann & Barry aloud to the class.

(The great idea was to sell advertising to companies at a discount as long as they paid for a full year. This means that we get to hear the same ads, from the same businesses, constantly, all year long)

Crap like the Beat Tweet is cringe worthy as we get to listen to whatever crap celebrity has waffled about next.

They have the odd good tune on but they do play the same songs about 10 times a day. Better to be like TV3 then RTE my friend,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

The place I used to work had this station on for the entire 39 hour week, used to drive me crazy. Not hearing it was one of the upsides of being made redundant!

The three idiots on in the morning boil my blood. The news is a joke, more interested in talking about what Shakira's dog was wearing than delivering any real news.

They play the same music in a constant loop basically all day.

Pure shite!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Irish Beats is a good show, showcases some good Irish music.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Sitec wrote: »
    The place I used to work had this station on for the entire 39 hour week, used to drive me crazy. Not hearing it was one of the upsides of being made redundant!

The three idiots on in the morning boil my blood. The news is a joke, more interested in talking about what Shakira's dog was wearing than delivering any real news.

They play the same music in a constant loop basically all day.

Pure shite!!
    Jaysus they are head wrecking!! Can't stand them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Doylers wrote: »
    They have the odd good tune on but they do play the same songs about 10 times a day. Better to be like TV3 then RTE my friend,

You must be joking? Unless you're a fan of soaps, reality shows and every bit of crap that comes from America...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I enjoy Rob O Connor occasionally, but I am more a Today FM kind of guy, Beat is on as a last resort in the car/kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Its supposed to be a young peoples station hence the sh1te music, showbiz gossip and lack of any real news.

I would fill up my earholes with superglue before I'd listen to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Its a shocking excuse for a station alright. Im sure there are good people/shows on there, but they are hidden among the other ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

I listened to last weeks news last night on the station.
    They must have patched the wrong recording into the pre recorded show.
    It had me scratching me head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Yeah its a dire station alright, and they're alwyas making mistakes when reading out the news that I dont think they even notice. They often talk about threads on After Hours too iirc, or that could be a different radio station.
    I worked at a place that was playing Billy Mcarthy every morning, and it wasnt any better I can tell you. I live up in Kilkenny, and most places play the Sue Nun show which I can assure you is 100 times worse than any radio show in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

You must be joking? Unless you're a fan of soaps, reality shows and every bit of crap that comes from America...

People in "liking different things" shocker..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,658 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

shockwave wrote: »
    Its supposed to be a young peoples station hence the sh1te music, showbiz gossip and lack of any real news.

I would fill up my earholes with superglue before I'd listen to it.

This. I'd imagine their target audience is 13-23 (leaving college age)

People in "liking different things" shocker..

Nice.

But seriously..TV3?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What's particularly galling (and this is a general point) is that once a station gets its licence it'll never lose it short of some sort of propriety scandal. The actual content doesn't matter a jot - just get on air and its happy days forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

mike65 wrote: »
    What's particularly galling (and this is a general point) is that once a station gets its licence it'll never lose it short of some sort of propriety scandal. The actual content doesn't matter a jot - just get on air and its happy days forever.
    Actually very few stations in Ireland have that freedom. Most have targets to meet for the BAI as far as content goes, like how much of what they broadcast is music and how much is talk. The licences have to be re-applied for every few years, and when they re-apply they're evaluated on how well they've been able to stay within their content limits. When you get the licence, you get it on the grounds that through a days airtime you will have x% talk radio and x% music, and once the BAI agree to it you have to stick to it until the licence runs out.

Kinda right on the scandal point though, anytime something does arise I'd say its dealt with and everyone goes on happy.

Ah cmon on now, how many stations have kept to the remit? 4FM or whatever its called this week is nothing like the station that was pitched to the BAI

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I can't for the life of me understand why a radio station would need a license to operate.

Bandwidth! Its precious and needs protecting you know!

mike65 wrote: »
    Ah cmon on now, how many stations have kept to the remit? 4FM or whatever its called this week is nothing like the station that was pitched to the BAI
    Thats the thing, not every radio station has to answer to the BAI. Its all nitty gritty and tbh I only have a basic understanding of it. Something to do with the licence you get. Never listened to 4fm, but I'm guessing they're not living up to their 'Classic Hits' promise.

Its like what you were saying above, even if they weren't keeping in their paramaters correctly, it would take something big for the licence to ever be taken away.

• Advertisement

Beat cater to the lowest common denominator basically, especially at breakfast time, someone has to after all.

Mind numbing TV3 celebrity tattle is here to stay, it won't be stopped, just tune out/flick to Newstalk or TodayFm. No point fighting it.

That's a very defeatist attitude.

We should start our own station! One that speaks just to the people of Waterford, brings them the pressing issues as well as some music and....aw shiiiiiit.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Right, Looks like I'm going out on my own on this one. I actually quite like Beat. I enjoy listening to Beat Breakfast in the mornings, "Can I just saaay" Marys laugh is just too funny. I turn on Beat Breakfast before work or Capital FM (London) on my phone most mornings. I'm in work during the day and dont get to hear it during the day but fire it on again when I go jogging in the evenings for the top 7 at 7. Its upbeat and young ...

What I will say is that you would definately know when someone is filling in for another presenter, to me they never compare. While I am a fan of a certain ex Beat Presenter and ex AA roadwatch presenter there is no chemistry might you say in the mornings, between her and Mary.

I don't like Irish Beats, it does my nut in but salute them for promoting Irish music etc.

A million miles better than SPIN South West which is pure muck, your blessed by not having it broadcasted to the south east. I for one am a fan of Beat ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Don't like it don't listen?

You have a choice of at least five other different stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Username99

I taught I was the only one who found Beat 102-103 to be the most annoying radio station I have ever listened too. The worst part being the breakfast show, they absolutely wreck my head. I could go, on and on.....

Username99 wrote: »
    I taught I was the only one who found Beat 102-103 to be the most annoying radio station I have ever listened too. The worst part being the breakfast show, they absolutely wreck my head. I could go, on and on.....

The breakfast show is shockingly awful alright isn't it, even the ads for it would make you cringe.

I just don't get why it needs to be so formulaic. Where has all the originality gone? I know they are somewhat shackled by the need to appease advertisers and "those upstairs", but that's no excuse for the sheer mind numbing nature of most of the shows.

Also, I'm presuming (and hoping) that the girl reading the news today was new so I don't want to be too hard on her. I'm sure she'll grow into the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Marchandire

KevIRL wrote: »
    Irish Beats is a good show, showcases some good Irish music.

Aren't you one of the DJ's oldest friends? Let's have some impartiality here, shall we? :rolleyes:

Btw: If nobody seems to like Beat FM, who exactly is their audience?

• Advertisement

Doesn't mean he can't have an opinion.

The thing about Irish Beats, in my opinion, is that it contradicts the "target audience" that you're talking about for beat. The general beat audience love David Guetta and Rhianna, and whatever drivel they're collaborating on next. I can't imagine they'd have the attention span for new music. In the same way that bars don't showcase original bands - cause people get bored when they don't know the songs.

Advertisement