Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beat 102-103

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

ziedth wrote: »
    It's an interesting point on a wider scale though. Say we removed our anonymity from this forum and we used our facebooks or whatever do you think people would complain as much or gun for the likes of Ciara Conway?

Breakingnews.ie and other news websites have done exactly that to cut down on the abuse. Not sure how much it works, the likes of theJournal is full of trolls who just setup a fake twitter account and only use it for posting on news sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

And on the flipside...how often does Gary Wyse delete comments he has made on facebook? He posted a message about the roundabout on the quay a few weeks back...it prompted a large response, which he then deleted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

And on the flipside...how often does Gary Wyse delete comments he has made on facebook? He posted a message about the roundabout on the quay a few weeks back...it prompted a large response, which he then deleted.

Your friends with a Fianna Failer on Facebook? :O :P

What was he saying and what was the response? Maybe he didn't like it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I noticed this new trend on Facebook(albeit some of them are brilliant) or people sending abusive messages to the likes of Drake and Niki Minaj and getting 10's of thousands of likes so the point is probably moot.

ziedth wrote: »
    I noticed this new trend on Facebook(albeit some of them are brilliant) or people sending abusive messages to the likes of Drake and Niki Minaj and getting 10's of thousands of likes so the point is probably moot.

Happening a lot alright. Couple of non-abusive but sub-story style postings also to get a big response.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Sully wrote: »
    Your friends with a Fianna Failer on Facebook? :O :P

What was he saying and what was the response? Maybe he didn't like it

I see people, not parties. ;-)

Gary strikes me as someone who sometimes becomes a bi overwhelmed by social media. He's trying to do it all himself when he should be really hiring an intern. BOOM!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Sorry to say Sully but you're way off in your reading of this thread. People made a number of points abut Beat. Some other people argued against these points. These defences were then retorted. Then Niall Power came and addressed some points. The thread did indeed go quiet after this but I'm sure you realise that correlation doesn't necessarily mean causality. The reason it went quiet was that Niall stated that he wouldn't be back to continue the debate. We had all argued back and forth between ourselves. Niall's contribution would have led to more debate in a different direction but he straight up said that he wouldn't be contributing any further to the thread.

As for the follow-on topic, I'd love if more people were upfront about who they were but there's very little for people to gain in doing so. Ciara Conway has been mentioned but it could be anyone in public life we're talking about. A handful of people on a message board might have a bit more respect for her if she were to come on here and engage with us but the kind of people who use these boards are unlikely to be easily swayed in a particular direction so, while she may have earned a little respect, she wouldn't gain many/any votes which is what politics in this country is all about for a lot of people - getting elected and staying elected! There is a potentially massive downside to any engagement because, if she (or, again, anyone) made a gaffe, there is a big chance that it would spread across social media and maybe break into mainstream media. It's also a very unforgiving forum because it's very obvious if you avoid certain points brought up by someone. For these reasons, it's never going to happen on a large scale, much as some of us might like it to.

I would like to see businesses able to represent themselves here but, unfortunately, it's against Boards policy. I think a strong point that TripAdvisor has going for it is that business owners/managers can respond directly to reviews. We badly miss this aspect here but there's nothing any of us can do about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

as an old skooler using the 'net since before businesses became involved, I'm happy to see Boards remain as commercially free as possible. I've owned a 'net business since '92 that I'm semi retired from to concentrate on music and have never felt a desire to whore my business nor spew on the whore-ings of others. Happy to have a few places left on the interwebs where I don't have to deal with needy business owners and their shilling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

old gregg wrote: »
    as an old skooler using the 'net since before businesses became involved, I'm happy to see Boards remain as commercially free as possible. I've owned a 'net business since '92 that I'm semi retired from to concentrate on music and have never felt a desire to whore my business nor spew on the whore-ings of others. Happy to have a few places left on the interwebs where I don't have to deal with needy business owners and their shilling.

Well said.

Different story if someone comes on looking for 'product x' or 'service y', in that case I'd like to think that, if you're good enough someone will recommend you. If I've ever spotted something relating to the business I'm in, I've PM'ed the person who has the query. Other than that, I enjoy Boards for what it is!

I wouldn't be advocating reps all over the gaff representing their business, but I found what Niall Power had to say interesting and informative and answered a few queries I had about Beat, that's why I never posted again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

old gregg wrote: »

Yeah that's a good point. It'd be very difficult to draw the line of what is and isn't acceptable and would be a nightmare for mods so leaving it how it currently is is probably the lesser of two evils.

• Advertisement
Advertisement