Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dentist prices

• 23-06-2012 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

Whats up guys?

Just back from the dentist myself and in the 40 minute stay i racked up a nice bill of 400 quid!

Was in agony last night witha tooth so decided to go to the dentist first thing this morning. Straight away he decided i needed a root canal but gave me some new lining stuff that can fix the nerve without need to have it removed.

So i agree to this, 60 euro. not bad if it saves about 1000 euro on a root canal.

So he fills the tooth after the lining is in and while doing so says another tooth needs a filling too. And he does both.

Next thing i know the bill is 400 quid and i need 2 more fillings next week which will be another 250 :eek:

So long story short, are all dentists this expensive or is this realistically a good price?

Breakdown for treatment is:

Lining - 60euro
    Filling 1 - 95e
    Filling 2 - 95
    Scale and Polish - 55e
    2 Bite wings - 45e
    Clinical examination - 45e

i wont name the place but would really like to know am i getting ripped off or whats the story?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

80 yoyos / filling was the most i've seen.

Have seen another dentist thats only 40 euros / filling without stamps (which are gone now anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

sounds about right , you should always have xrays / photos though and go through them first - did you do this ?
    i wouldnt trust any dentist who does not hilight issues in an xray and or photo first.

if you just go by thier say so about the health of a tooth - then you really need to rethink your approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭foret

Very hefty bill.

This size of bill should have been explained to you before such extensive treatment.

Unacceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

They (dentists) are expensive, but the cost should have at least been explained to you beforehand... was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

The breakdown sounds rather cheap to me. My dentist charges much higher prices for each procedures you had (prices are displayed at reception, it's now mandatory).
    He could have warned you, but if these things had to be done, there is not much you could have done. The fillings, for instance, they have to be done, if you leave it too late you might end up with a root canal or an implant which would cost you much more. So bottom line is: if you visit your dentist often enough and pick up any problem early, it will be cheaper in the long run

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Looks about right.

Just thank yourself that you didn't get a root canal. Agony and you get the pay over a grand for the privilege :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I paid €50 before Christmas for a checkup/clean/polish at my dentist (Dublin 15). When I went back there last week the price had gone down to €35. So not everywhere's a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TheBrinch

alphabeat - The 2 bite wings he took are the xrays yeah (had to google it).

The only price which was explained to me was the 60 euro for the Lining which can save you getting root canal treatment.

While filling the tooth after he said the tooth beside will need a filling soon so he might aswell do it now.(another 95 euro unexplained)

What really annoys me, which i didnt realise at first was he billed me the 55euro for a scale and polish which he said he wasnt going to do till my next appointment!! This should never be the case with a proper professional. (I do admit i should have copped on to this and said it though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

alphabeat wrote: »
    sounds about right , you should always have xrays / photos though and go through them first - did you do this ?
    i wouldnt trust any dentist who does not hilight issues in an xray and or photo first.

if you just go by thier say so about the health of a tooth - then you really need to rethink your approach.
    I wouldn't want an X-ray taken everytime something needed to be be done to verify it actually needed to be done.

How does the photo option work? Outta curiosity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

they usually take min cam picture first ,
    show you the pic , and advise where likely truble is ,
    and do an x-ray to find extent of issue

then show you the x-ray - you can see clearly where the problems are and if they need treatment

instead of them 'telling you' you need treatment .

at least mine does , and thats why i use them .

i know of people who got fillings and they 100% Did not need them .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I paid 96 for a white filling recently, is that expensive?

I paid 96 for a white filling recently, is that expensive?

depends the size and location of the filling, but on average, it doesn't seem expensive. I recently paid 200 euros for 2 fillings, including a white one. Hubby paid 250 for 2 white fillings at the back

That's my dentist fees for fillings:

Fillings
    from 80-140 Euro (amalgam- silver)*
    from 105-165 Euro (composite- white)*

• Registered Users Posts: 21 waltermc

I agree that dentists are not cheap. My daughter had to pay €4000 for crowns fillings and root canal treatment. if she did not need so much done she would have went out foreign to get it done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

my wife is going home to slovakia next week for a month and getting a root canal and crown done.
    it will cost no more than 400E for the lot and hopefully she'll get a discount as she is a friend of the dental nurse in the clinic.

It would have cost us over a thousand here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

People always complain about the cost of services.

Post your profession and your wife's here,it is easy to compare your average earnings/benefits verses those earned in Slovakia.

Before you complain about prices for any service in Ireland, ask yourself if you would be willing take a substantial pay/benefit reduction to levels paid in Slovakia in order to get cheaper services.

Advertisement