Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petrol Prices in Tullamore

• 23-06-2012 10:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,000 ✭✭✭✭

So its good news re the expected reduction in petrol prices but on a recent visit to newbridge (last weekend) I had to comment on what I discovered.

Back in 2010 there was a thread re Tesco's taking the Mick out of drivers re fuel prices, sadly it would appear the entire group of petrol stations in Tullamore have been taking the piss completely.

Average prices are still around the 1.64/1.65 mark with only the Tesco station beside tesco's at 1.63 consistently for the past month or more.

Driving towards newbridge last Sunday it was not long before I noticed much cheaper petrol and at smaller stations notable previously for being generally expensive. Firstly the station at rosinallis @ 1.61, then amazingly the station outside mountmellick @ 1.59, finally to my astonishment all newbridge stations at 1.56 with one at 1.55.

Back to Tullamore on Tuesday and Hey presto, all the petrol stations continuing to take the piss, still at 1.64. Is it any wonder Tullamore is a ghost town these days. Absolutely disgraceful and please no bleeding hearts advising on the reasons, merits of high fuel prices, most consumers are not G******* but sadly forecourt owners in Tullamore seem to think we are.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Dempo1 wrote: »
    So its good news re the expected reduction in petrol prices but on a recent visit to newbridge (last weekend) I had to comment on what I discovered.

Back in 2010 there was a thread re Tesco's taking the Mick out of drivers re fuel prices, sadly it would appear the entire group of petrol stations in Tullamore have been taking the piss completely.

Average prices are still around the 1.64/1.65 mark with only the Tesco station beside tesco's at 1.63 consistently for the past month or more.

Driving towards newbridge last Sunday it was not long before I noticed much cheaper petrol and at smaller stations notable previously for being generally expensive. Firstly the station at rosinallis @ 1.61, then amazingly the station outside mountmellick @ 1.59, finally to my astonishment all newbridge stations at 1.56 with one at 1.55.

Back to Tullamore on Tuesday and Hey presto, all the petrol stations continuing to take the piss, still at 1.64. Is it any wonder Tullamore is a ghost town these days. Absolutely disgraceful and please no bleeding hearts advising on the reasons, merits of high fuel prices, most consumers are not G******* but sadly forecourt owners in Tullamore seem to think we are.

I noticed recently that any station that is run by foreign nationals are always much cheaper than any Topaz.

For instance in Athlone near golden Island small station is cheapest in country and its run by few non Irish lads. Same thing over in Clonard Texaco run by an Asian man and he is always cheaper than anywhere else.

So fair play to the enterprising people coming in and trying to bring down prices. I really think the government needs to look at the monopoly Topaz now has as they are after taking over the majority of stations wiping out any competition.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Newbridge is always that bit cheaper than Tullamore. Is it simply down to competition in that area while Tullamore station don't bother competing?

160.9 in Teaxco today anyway. Still overpriced though!

Its bad when Edenderry is cheaper than Tullamore. The Topaz garage was 159.9 on Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

The likes of Tyrellspass, Mullingar etc all have cheaper fuel than Tullamore. Makes you wonder if there's some kind of price fixing going on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

lizt wrote: »
    The likes of Tyrellspass, Mullingar etc all have cheaper fuel than Tullamore. Makes you wonder if there's some kind of price fixing going on!
    I remember when the tesco one opened in tullamore first it was really cheap. Bit off topic but Wasn't there a diesel washing operation outside tullamore recently discovered?

athlonelad wrote: »
    I remember when the tesco one opened in tullamore first it was really cheap. Bit off topic but Wasn't there a diesel washing operation outside tullamore recently discovered?

Tesco really cheap that was a business ploy in order to establish the new station. Once the station got established and had its customer base built up prices went up. I noticed before Tesco Tullamore get their fuel from Topaz tankers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Dewdropdeb

I travel to Mayo a lot and petrol in Ballina is often a whole ten cents cheaper than Tullamore or more. Really annoys me. You can see it getting cheaper and cheaper as you continue west.

Tesco do have the 5/10c off at the moment tho if you spend €50/100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Dewdropdeb wrote: »
    I travel to Mayo a lot and petrol in Ballina is often a whole ten cents cheaper than Tullamore or more. Really annoys me. You can see it getting cheaper and cheaper as you continue west.

Tesco do have the 5/10c off at the moment tho if you spend €50/100.

Roscommon town on Friday was 157.9 Petrol and 147.9 diesel at Gulf on the Athlone Rd.

Re. the Tesco offer, you're spending min. €50 to save max of €3.50 (empty 70 litre tank * €0.05/litre)

Roscommon town on Friday was 157.9 Petrol and 147.9 diesel at Gulf on the Athlone Rd.

Re. the Tesco offer, you're spending min. €50 to save max of €3.50 (empty 70 litre tank * €0.05/litre)

It's not bad if you shop in Tesco and are spending that amount of money anyway though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,000 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It's not bad if you shop in Tesco and are spending that amount of money anyway though.

LOL, I would need slightly more encouragement to enter the tesco petrol station in Tullamore, more likely needing a dragon slayer. I have yet to encounter such a bunch of rude and unhappy staff.:eek:

LOL, I would need slightly more encouragement to enter the tesco petrol station in Tullamore, more likely needing a dragon slayer. I have yet to encounter such a bunch of rude and unhappy staff.:eek:

Lol, I know! I stopped going their as soon as their prices were the same as everyone else's!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Anyone know the price in Kilbeggan?

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Anyone know the price in Kilbeggan?

Think its 150.9 diesel/160.9 petrol. I have to go there in the morning, I'll post then with correct prices

Interesting to notice our tullamore petrol retailers are dropping prices but intriguing they are being half hearted about it, still around the 1.60 mark with the finger board typically still at 1.63 today, sad to see there is quite clearly a cosy cartel in opperation, quite disgraceful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,196 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Interesting today to see Birr, which is usually a quite cheap place to go, not so much at the moment. 1.57 for petrol at the moment which isn't bad but I've seen 1.56 or even 1.55 in places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Dewdropdeb

haha true story, although I find the main shop just as bad. Don't know how that place makes money loads of staff standing around chatting ignoring customers being generally ignorant and rude. Aldi meanwhile has 4-5 staff and whilst not brimming with endearment they are functional and efficient and get You in and out quickly. Tesco could learn a few thugs there.

Having said all that, Tesco employees have nothing on yer wan at the train station! Never seen a more miserable crotchety woman in my life! :)

I called into Topaz Arden today just to buy a paper and I spoke to the manager about their high prices in the region (163.9 today for petrol), I pointed out that the region is very expensive and it appears Topaz are basically tearing the arse out of it as its approximately 10 cent per litre more expensive than other regions and she said she just gets the prices telephoned down to her from Dublin.

She advise me to contact her HQ in Dublin, I called them a lady took my details and 4 hours later still no callback from them.

In the meantime I have written an email to Joe Duffy show on rte radio highlighting how it appears the Irish government are allowing Topaz to create a monopoly eliminating competition and overcharging the Irish consumers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I always find Tullamore more expensive than Limerick at any time of the year, I notice this when I make the trip home.It's been in the 1.50's down here for the past month nearly at this stage.

Dewdropdeb wrote: »
    haha true story, although I find the main shop just as bad. Don't know how that place makes money loads of staff standing around chatting ignoring customers being generally ignorant and rude. Aldi meanwhile has 4-5 staff and whilst not brimming with endearment they are functional and efficient and get You in and out quickly. Tesco could learn a few thugs there.

Having said all that, Tesco employees have nothing on yer wan at the train station! Never seen a more miserable crotchety woman in my life! :)

OMG, had the displeasure of asking her a question recently, had visitors from Germany and needed to get some advice, Jesus wept, a battle Axe of the highest order, even the hanging flowers outside seemed to have withered in company.

I did manage to piss off a staff member in the Tesco Petrol station a few months back, she was sitting behind the counter, texting friends I presumed (that in itself amazed me, friends?). Without looking at me she put her arm over the counter reaching out for my credit card, I decided to stand back forcing her to get up off her arse, after the transaction I advised her to consider engaging with customers, refrain from being so rude and consider having a personality transplant, I got a Blank stare which said it all :eek:

Topaz Kilbeggan 160.9 Petrol/149.9 diesel this morning.

Topaz Kilbeggan 160.9 Petrol/149.9 diesel this morning.

Seems the TCC "Tullamore Cosy Cartel" exists in Killbeggan also, I'm not sure but i am sure one of the garages i saw in Newbridge last week was a topaz and like the rest there it was 1.56 for petrol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

havent logged in here in a while. I travel to temple street every so often with the daughter. Its bad when prices in the big smoke are cheaper than here. I **** you not.

Dusty87 wrote: »
    havent logged in here in a while. I travel to temple street every so often with the daughter. Its bad when prices in the big smoke are cheaper than here. I **** you not.

Stop in Lucan for diesel today - 4 cent cheaper than in Tullamore!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

Dusty87 wrote: »

would that be a certain filling station near the river?? If so.. the queues to get petrol today at around 4.30pm was something else!!!:eek:

Stop in Lucan for diesel today - 4 cent cheaper than in Tullamore!!

It's 10 cent litre cheaper at €153 per litre in Clonard for past two weeks (petrol)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

My favourite topic! :D

Was in Mullingar during the week and petrol there is for the most part under the 1.60 mark, Tullamore are seriously taking the p1ss now! :mad:

Any chance Midlands 103 would do a piece on it? Or the Tribune?

Texaco Tullamore Diesel 149.9/Petrol 159.9

Over the road in Portarlington Diesel 158.9/ Petrol 169.9

offaly1 wrote: »
    would that be a certain filling station near the river?? If so.. the queues to get petrol today at around 4.30pm was something else!!!:eek:

Liffey? No dont pass that one your on about, i mean in general!

Texaco Tullamore Diesel 149.9/Petrol 159.9

Over the road in Portarlington Diesel 158.9/ Petrol 169.9

Which petrol station in Portarlington?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

heard it was discussed on radio 3 this morning. all the stations in tullamore were asked to comment and everyone of them had "no Comment"....says it all really

• Advertisement

heard it was discussed on radio 3 this morning. all the stations in tullamore were asked to comment and everyone of them had "no Comment"....says it all really

Heard bits of it. If I remember correctly, they pretty much said there's no regulatory body to complain to.

Advertisement