Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which masters to do??

Options
  • 23-06-2012 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi All,

I am hoping someone can tell me the diffrrence between a level 9 taught two year masters and a level 9 taught four year masters (apart from the time to complete). I am wondering what the benefits are of spending the extra time, money and resources on a extra two years would be, post qualification
    The subject of the masters programmes are the same. any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

First time I've ever heards of a four-year part-time Masters I have to say. I'd imagine the only benefit is maybe less time-pressure for thesis research etc. and obviously fees spread out more which would help with financial pressure.

I am presuming that it is the same cost as the two-year option - at least that has been the way in any part-time models I have seen. I am also presuming that the workload is the same.

Four years is really too long to spend on a taught Masters. People do PhDs in that sort of time-frame. Obviously if it's just something you want to do and time isn't a major issue fair enough, but it is a long time for a qualification which would routinely take just one year full-time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

navillus9 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am hoping someone can tell me the diffrrence between a level 9 taught two year masters and a level 9 taught four year masters (apart from the time to complete). I am wondering what the benefits are of spending the extra time, money and resources on a extra two years would be, post qualification
    The subject of the masters programmes are the same. any advice is much appreciated.

What discipline and country?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 navillus9

dyl10 wrote: »
    Hi All,

What discipline and country?

Hi again, thanks for taking the time to reply. To ans your queries, the country is Ireland. The discipline is psychotherapy. The cost for the two year part time programme is about half that of the four year programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 SpencerT

My thoughts on this would be that the 4 year Masters may include accreditation requirements along with the academic criterion. The prospectus should detail out the programme schedule for each year so you might see whether this is the case or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 navillus9

Hi Spencer T,

It seems you may have "hit the nail on the head" thanks for replying. it has helped me clarify this for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 SpencerT

Hi Spencer T,

It seems you may have "hit the nail on the head" thanks for replying. it has helped me clarify this for me.

Great stuff Navillus - good luck with the decision :)

Advertisement