Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject choices for 5th year?!

Options
  • 23-06-2012 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hey, im new here!
    I'm skipping 4th year and going straight into 5th year, but I'm nervous about my subject choices. I'm doing(all higher level)-
    English
    Irish
    Maths
    Spanish
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Biology
    Japanese(my school offer it as an extra subject, instead of religion class, so I thought i might as well!)
    What do you think of these subject choices?

Am I crazy for doing 3 science subjects instead of 2?? :confused:
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

bigbang. wrote: »
    Hey, im new here!
    I'm skipping 4th year and going straight into 5th year, but I'm nervous about my subject choices. I'm doing(all higher level)-
    English
    Irish
    Maths
    Spanish
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Biology
    Japanese(my school offer it as an extra subject, instead of religion class, so I thought i might as well!)

Thanks!

Hey! First of all, welcome!

No, you're not crazy doing the three sciences. It's my biggest regret (well I wasn't able to do them with timetable) not being able to do the three. If you're anyway sciencey at all, you'll be fine and they're enjoyable. If you're good at maths I would recommend applied maths too! Japanese seems hard but people I know say it is ok once you know your alphabets etc! I don't know much about it though. I'd recommend the 3 sciences and app maths (outside school) if possible. That's only if you do really enjoy the sciences!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

ChemHickey wrote: »
    . I'd recommend the 3 sciences and app maths (outside school) if possible.
    physics and applied maths are related - Biology and Ag Science are also similar

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cityguy78

If your a whizz at physics and maaths, I'd definitely consider applied maths otherwise you'd be mad not to go with Ag Science, especially if your going to do biology

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

bigbang. wrote: »
    Hey, im new here!
    English
    Irish
    Maths
    Spanish
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Biology

Thanks!

Nah not at all, I wish I'd taken more than just Biology and Applied Maths! I could have taken Chemistry and/or Physics but they clashed with History and Music, respectively so I had to make a difficult decision. BTW, I do 9 HL subjects (M, I, E, French, Bio, Hist, Music, Ap Maths, Japanese).

Japanese is a brilliant subject, really really good for the Leaving. Put the time into learning the two alphabets (Hiragana and Katakana) at the beginning when you do them at it'll make everything so much easier. And you'll be surprised how much Japanese you'll know by the end of 5th Year. The grammar is beyond easy (two irregular verbs in the whole language, no subject pronouns, no feminine/masculine, no future tense...once you get the hang of the grammar it's reallly manageable). There's an oral exam for the LC but like nothing as hard as Spanish, and Japanese isn't even too hard to pronounce. I didn't find taking Japanese on as a 9th subject (Saturday classes) to be too much of a strain!

Where Applied Maths is concerned... it's a good subject, but I wouldn't take it if I weren't fully committed to it. I did my homework every week (it was an elective 8th subject in school, we had a double on a Friday for Fifth Year) and made sure I went to my teacher (also my Maths teacher) with any questions. Basically, I worked my ass off for it, and came out with 97 at Christmas and 98 at Summer. But a lot of the girls in my class didn't fare so well, because they slacked on the homework. One girl, who got 97 in HL Maths and an A1 in HL Physics got a C2 in the Summer exam purely because she wasn't keeping on top of her work. So basically, don't take it for granted if you're doing Maths and Physics that Applied Maths will be a breeze.

Overall, really good subject choices :)

Advertisement