Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for new job without current employer knowing

Options
  • 23-06-2012 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭

I have been considering leaving my current job. I have only been there since march but would like something more challenging. Would I be better off not to list my current job on my cv? I don't want my employer contacted until after I hand in my notice. I am contractually obligated to give 4 weeks notice so any potential job I will have to say that I won't be available for 4 weeks. That would look really bad if I'm saying I'm unemployed on my cv. What's the best way to handle the situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you leave the current job off, then it looks like you've been unemployed since March. Not a good look.

Legally, a potential employer cannot contact anyone until you give permission.

There's always a risk that they will anyway, but that's just the risk you've got to take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Any time I've been applying for a new job it's been without the knowledge of my current employers, this is pretty much standard across the board and prospective employers will be well used to it. List your current role on your CV but mention in your cover letter that your current employers aren't aware that you're looking elsewhere and you'd appreciate if your application was handled in confidence.

Advertisement