Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spousal Visa Query

Options
  • 23-06-2012 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hey all,

Firstly I know there is a thread currently on this forum similar however I did not want to hijack the thread from the original Op.

My Girlfriend is American and we are looking to move to the States early next year. However we can currently residing in Sydney. We have tried now on a few occasions to ask the Embassy here if we can marry here, in Oz. And apply for the Spouse Visa as soon as we are married. But they fob us off with links and paragraphs to FAQ's on Visa's.

So my question is. Can we Apply for the Spouse Visa in Australia, knowing that we will be back in Ireland at the end of the year (Early December) and do my Interview in Ireland. Since it usually takes 6+ months for the interview process. Or is the Petition and Visa application tied to country you apply in originally? In this case Australia.

Ideal scenario for us is, Get Married here, Send in Petition and Visa application here. And interview in Ireland. Since it usually takes 6+ months for the Application to process. And then hopefully move across to the states As Soon as they will allow.

Just to Note : I have a Guaranteed Job in America Once I clear a Visa. With my Girlfriends Family Company, However we don't/can't currently go down that route due to the fee's involved. However would it be possible to link in this Job Offer to my Spouse Visa?

Any help on the matter would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Falcon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Yes you can apply in Australia and then transfer the case to Ireland. The only requirement for where you interview is that you must be legally resident in the country, and as an Irish citizen you clearly will be. Transfering a case can mean a small delay of a few weeks as paperwork gets sent on, but it doesn't sound like you are in a hurry so that is not an issue.

The job offer doesn't count for anything I am afraid, as there is no income until you actually start the job. It may help with getting a quick interview if you can prove they need you by a certain date, the US embassy in Dublin is fairly accomodating. But your US then-wife still needs to come up with the finances to support you, or her family can co-sponsor.

Advertisement