Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

argos tv wont work

Options
  • 23-06-2012 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

i bought a alba lcd tv in argos over a year ago and just recently discovered that it wont connect to my ps3 through hdmi. isent an email to argos about this but got no reply- i wonder if i can get it replaced or a refund, and i should mention i can't find the receipt.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭antocann

treeminder wrote: »
    i bought a alba lcd tv in argos over a year ago and just recently discovered that it wont connect to my ps3 through hdmi. isent an email to argos about this but got no reply- i wonder if i can get it replaced or a refund, and i should mention i can't find the receipt.

have you used the ps3 trough hdmi before? if not , hold in the power button till after is turns on and you will hear a beep then select hdmi

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

proof of purchase is needed, find it first, then go on from there.

was it paid with a card? if so, that will do.

then go into a Argos, and see if they will take it in for repair

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Did you buy it specifically for HDMI?

The TV has been working fine without defect, so your only hope is it advertises HDMI functionality, which is now not working. Does any other HDMI device connect successfully?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭treeminder

antocann wrote: »
    have you used the ps3 trough hdmi before? if not , hold in the power button till after is turns on and you will hear a beep then select hdmi

yeah i use it with a bush tv and it works with xbox so it must be a compatablity issue

dudara wrote: »
    Did you buy it specifically for HDMI?

The TV has been working fine without defect, so your only hope is it advertises HDMI functionality, which is now not working. Does any other HDMI device connect successfully?

yeah the xbox hdmi connects fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

HDCP issue?

Is it HDCP compliant by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭darth_maul

Maybe your ps3 is set to a resolution that the tv doesn't support, doesn't sound like a fault with TV of the Xbox is working through HDMI

does anyone know who i should ring? argos technical support or alba tv support?
    i already rang the number from the tv manual and argos's uk number but i think they only work if you are in the uk yourself. the phone recorded message said something like " you are not allowed to access this number".???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

i already rang the number from the tv manual and argos's uk number but i think they only work if you are in the uk yourself. the phone recorded message said something like " you are not allowed to access this number".???

Did you holding down the power button on the ps3 while connected to the alba tv like previously stated? I have to do this when i move the ps3 between rooms

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Ive an argso cupboard that doesnt work either.. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Tow

Argos and Alba are part of the same company 'Home Retail Group'.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,998 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Did you try searching for your TV model and PS3 connection issues? More then likely someone will have got it working.

If it's a flaw there'll be plenty of info to use if you try to bring it back, but I think you may have issues unless you asked would it work on PS3 at time of purchase. You bought and used the TV for a year so it works as a TV, it connects to Xbox so the HDMI is working.

Try it with different cables also. You don't need expensive cable for HDMI. They either work or don't, so a €2 cable will work as well as a €100 cable if it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Googling "Alba TV PS3" brings me to this page.

Have you tried the suggestions here?

Googling "Alba TV PS3" brings me to this page.

Have you tried the suggestions here?

yes i have, i read that the problem can be caused by a faulty hdmi motherboard. I'd say that's whats causing it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

yeah the xbox hdmi connects fine

If the XBox connects fine, then it works as a HDMI TV and I don't think you've anything to go back to Argos with.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Donkathon

Did you get this sorted?

Is it the 32" alba you've got?

its a 19 inch hd ready alba, and i waiting for argos technical support to ring for trouble shooting help, but i'm pretty sure its a hardware fault~so i don't know what i can do without a receipt?

well a argos technician rang me this morning. when i said the time was inconvenient, he said he would ring back at 4.00pm. i waited over an hour and the arsehole never rang me. some costumer service that is.

does the box it came in count as proof of purchase? it has the catologue number and the bar code so if they scan it, it should say it was bought there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

its a 19 inch hd ready alba, and i waiting for argos technical support to ring for trouble shooting help, but i'm pretty sure its a hardware fault~so i don't know what i can do without a receipt?

it's not a hardware fault, the tv just isnt compatible with the ps3

quite a few cheap tvs have the issue that they'll fail on HDCP

the tv is working just fine - no fault

• Advertisement

I wouldn't regard a €150 tv cheap, and it doesn't say anything about it being incompatible on the box or manuel. so it is a fault.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I wouldn't regard a €150 tv cheap, and it doesn't say anything about it being incompatible on the box or manuel. so it is a fault.

I'm sure theyre covered as the onus to research incompatiblities would be on you (by your own logic can't you also say Sony didn't advertise that this tv was incompatible with the ps3 so the ps3 is faulty). Now if they advertised that it was compatible but it turned out not to be would probably have a case.

Really do hope you get this sorted as its a PITA, but I reckon your only shot is from a gesture of goodwill on Argos' side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Not really any help unless you get a refund but people sell really good 20 - 24" LCDs on adverts.ie all the time for less than €100.

Wont work as a TV (unless you have a set top box like Sky) but great for gaming.

does anyone have the number for technical support?
    i rang this number from my mobile 00448456402020 and i am not allowed to call this number. argos email support is pathetic aswell they wont reply to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

antocann wrote: »

Have you actually tried this?

that was the first thing i tried my friend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

If the HDMI works with other devices. I doubt your barking up the wrong tree by going back to argos and looking for help there.

I have an issue with my laptop not working with a Sony Tv. Im not going to back to them and try and say its a hardware fault on the TV as I have used multiple devices on the HDMI socket before and all work fine.

Do you have another tv in the house with HDMI, if so go and make sure its set properly on HDMI. Then go back to the alba and turn the PS3 on first and then the TV see if that helps it recognise it.

Or try this?

1. Plug your PS3 into the TV using your original scart connector and switch on as normal.
    2. Press source on the TV remote and go to the EXT 1 setting.
    3. This should bring up the PS3 menus and when it does, put the HDMI cable into the back of the PS3 and TV.
    4. Go to display settings on your PS3 and select HDMI.
    5. When it says about the HDMI signal and the screen going off for 30 seconds, when the screen does go off, press the source button on the Alba tv remote and go down to whichever HDMI port you put the cable in.
    6. The PS3 screen should be already there and, if it is, press X to save the HDMI signal setting.
    7. Unplug the Scart lead etc and just follow the rest of the onscreen instructions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Or go back to Argos and see if they have the same TV on display, then ask if they'll let you connect your PS3 to it.

Advertisement