Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP activation problem

Options
  • 23-06-2012 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭

I'm getting a message asking me to activate Windows.

I can't read the Product Key from the sticker on my computer as it's faded, and I don't have the original documentation as it's a second hand laptop.

I tried downloading a keyfinder program which gave me a product key but upon entering I get a message saying 'incorrect product key'.

It tells me I must activate within 1 day.

Why would it ask me to do this? (laptop is a few years old and it's a genuine version of XP that I've been using for the past 2 years) Anybody know what can I do? Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Did you install any updates recently?

The windows genuine advantage would have checked if you were running a valid copy.

Seeing that this was second hand I'm a bit wary that the copy wasn't activated then (it should have still given the 30 day notification to do so).

Can you contact the person who sold it to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

chin_grin wrote: »
    Did you install any updates recently?

The windows genuine advantage would have checked if you were running a valid copy.

Seeing that this was second hand I'm a bit wary that the copy wasn't activated then (it should have still given the 30 day notification to do so).

Can you contact the person who sold it to you?

I may have installed updates, can't remember. But the laptop I have is several years old so why would it be askiung me to do this now? I've had it for 2 years and been running XP without any problem. And I'm not sure if it would be possible to contact the original owner, was a friend of a friend kind of thing.

antocann wrote: »

That's the keyfinder program I used. I downloaded it and it gave me a key so I thought grand that's it sorted, but when I enter the key it gave me it says incorrect product key. I tried again and was careful to enter all characters correctly but same result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

if its giving you the wrong key , i think the windows on it wasnt genuine

Advertisement