Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More than a 1 year lease?

Options
  • 23-06-2012 1:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 104 ✭✭

Can tenants be asked to sign a 2 or more year lease on a property. I guess this has implications with the four year tenancy legislation but is it against any regulations to have a lease for more than 1 year??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Of course; nothing to stop a landlord (or tenant) asking for a longer lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

only restriction is that if the lease exceeds 35 years you will have to pay stamp duty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I've been fortunate to have two tenants asking for longer than one year leases (one two years, one 19 months). I've been happy to comply, it saves me registering with the PRTB every year, advertising costs etc. In return, they get a slightly lower rent, and everyone wins. Would only do it with tenants who you know or have stellar references though.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Note that there is still an entitlement to a rent review after a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Victor wrote: »
    Note that there is still an entitlement to a rent review after a year.

On a fixed term lease? I thought that was only on a part 4 tenancy?

• Advertisement
Advertisement