Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling abroad from home

Options
  • 23-06-2012 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is the wrong place, feel free to move if necessary.

I've tried searching on the internet but can't find an answer to my question. I'll be abroad for a few days next week, roaming on my Irish number. I know that if I want to call home I need to use 353 in front of the number, but if someone from home were to call me, is that necessary? Or do they just call my number as it is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

you should put '00' first and then the '353' then drop the first '0' of our local area codes. So a Dublin number would be '003531*******' with the '1' being the Dublin area code.

I think you will receive a call to your mobile from Ireland that is providing you are not blocked from receiving same. I do not think the person needs to know you are out of the country but no harm in putting the '00 353' first and dropping the '0' of the first part of the mobile no thus and 087 ******* number would become 0035387*******

Each country seems to have its own mobile code so it does not need to be given a country code to work out what place that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Okay, thanks, hopefully it's not needed as I'll be expecting a call but forgot to mention that I'd be away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

if someone on an irish network within ireland is dialing an irish mobile they just dial 086/087/etc as normal. it doesnt matter where the person that they are calling is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I do a lot of international travel and "00" isn't 100% correct. Where ever you are in the world you need to dial "the international access code" followed by the country code of where you are calling followed by the area code without the first "0" and finally the phone number itself.

In a lot of countries "00" is indeed the international access code but there are lots of countries where it isn't e.g. the in the US you have to dial 011, in Australia you'd have to dial 0011 and in Japan you'd have to dial 010. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_international_call_prefixes for a comprehensive list.

The best advice I can give you (which I follow myself) is to store all your numbers in the following format "+" then the country code e.g. 353 for Ireland then the area code with out the first zero e.g. 1 for Dublin then the persons phone number e.g. 9999999. This means you store numbers like this +35319999999.

Why should you do this? Because "+" is a "magic" number. No matter where you are in the world it represents the International Access Code. It's like a skeleton key. If you store all you numbers in this format you'll never have any problem calling anyone regardless of whether you are calling them from Dublin, Dubai or Dubrovnik. You simply look up the contact on your phone and hit call, SIMPLES ;)

Also, in case you're wondering, it doesn't cost any more to call someone using the "international" format number when you're at home.

Hope that helps.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Above is 100% correct. Barring your local Chinese takeaway, it's best to store even your Irish numbers in your phone in the format +353xxxxx so that you can call people regardless of where you are.

'00353xxxx' will work in most countries, '+353xxx' will work in all countries.

When someone in Ireland is calling a person with an Irish mobile who is out of the country, they do not need to use any international prefix, they don't even need to know that you're out of the country. They'll only know you're abroad when they hear the different ring tone and the call will cost them the same wherever you are though if you are out of the country and receiving a call, you will get a roaming charge for an 'incoming call' i.e. both the caller and the person being called will be charged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

coylemj wrote: »
    it's best to store even your Irish numbers in your phone in the format +353xxxxx so that you can call people regardless of where you are.

'00353xxxx' will work in most countries, '+353xxx' will work in all countries.

+1

Have all my numbers in that format, and like you mentioned never have any issues when calling home, abroad etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Thanks for all the help everyone, it's a relief to know that I shouldn't have a problem :) Very good tip about storing numbers in the +353 format too, thanks!

Advertisement