Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bands/Artists with brilliant b-sides

Options
  • 23-06-2012 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭

So I'll start with my favorite ones.

Oasis for me have the best, classic gems that only seem to be known by fans who collect the singles.

D'yer Wanna Be A Spaceman
    Full On
    Let's All Make Believe
    One Way Road
    Shout It Out Loud
    Headshrinker
    Stay Young
    Going Nowhere

All those songs would grace other bands albums!

My second pick would have to be The Verve

Country Song
    So Sister
    Three Steps

Again the list could go on and on!

So, what Artists/Bands that you like have fantastic B-sides.....................

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Be Here Now and Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants would have been far better albums if they had included the B sides you've mentioned.

Angel Child is another great one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

More Oasis

Take Me Away
    Cloudburst
    Listen Up
    Fade Away
    Half The World Away
    Acquiesce
    Talk Tonight
    Rockin' Chair
    Step Out
    The Masterplan

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Radiohead:
    Pearly
    Palto Alto
    How I Made My Millions
    Polyethelene (Parts 1 & 2)
    Cuttooth
    Talk Show Host
    Gagging Order
    Indian Rubber
    The Trickster
    Lewis (Mistreated)

Stone Roses:
    All Across The Sands
    Standing Here
    Going Down
    Where Angels Play
    Something's Burning
    Mersey Paradise
    Groove Harder

Pixies:
    Into The White
    Wave Of Mutilation (UK Surf)
    Evil Hearted You
    Weird At My School
    Winterlong
    In Heaven

Elliott Smith:
    No Confidence Man
    I Don't Think I'm Ever Gonna Figure It Out
    A Living Will
    True Love
    Angel In The Snow
    Abused
    Some Song
    Brand New

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Teenage Fanclub
    My personal favourite is probably B-Side (come on, even the title is awesome) from the What You Do To Me CD single. However, most of the singles from Thirteen, Grand Prix and Songs from Northern Britain had absolutely killer b-sides. A lot of cover versions (Buffalo Springfield, Creedence, The Rutles) and some brilliant original material.
    Highlights: Burned, He'd Be A Diamond, Kickabout, Genius Envy, Golden Glades.

Smashing Pumpkins
    The Mellon Collie era, which were all gathered up (with extra tracks) for The Aeroplane Flies High box set. Bullet With Butterfly Wings had covers of Blondie and The Cure, among others. Tonight, Tonight had a batch of predominantly acoustic songs. Very eclectic, and songs I still listen to, even more than the actual albums.
    Highlights: A Night Like This, Dreaming, The Aeroplane Flies High, Set the Ray to Jerry.

R.E.M.
    Wall of Death (Richard Thompson cover, also included on the Beat the Retreat Richard Thompson tribute album), It's A Free World, Baby (inexplicably pulled from Out of Time at the eleventh hour, much to Peter Buck's chagrin), and - for novelty value - Love Is All Around, The Lion Sleeps Tonight.

Embrace
    Most of their early singles had superb b-sides (better than most of the songs on their second album, to be honest - they should have held them back):
    Feelings I Thought You Shared, Don't Turn Your Back on Love, Love Is Back.

Placebo
    They recorded some great cover versions as b-sides. Later collected on a bonus disc released with initial versions of Sleeping With Ghosts, reissued later still as an individual release on iTunes.
    Where Is My Mind (This Picture)
    Johnny and Mary (Taste In Men)
    20th Century Boy (You Don't Care About Us)
    Daddy Cool (The Bitter End)

Kate Bush
    The Empty Bullring (b-side of Breathing)
    Under the Ivy (b-side of Running Up That Hill: easily one of her best songs, inexplicably not included on Hounds of Love)
    Sexual Healing (b-side of King of the Mountain)

The Beatles
    Rain (b-side of Paperback Writer: generally regarded as one of the best b-sides of all time)
    You Know My Name (Look Up the Number) (b-side of Let It Be) (one of Macca's favourite Beatle tracks)

Pink Floyd
    Non-album tracks are few and far between, but two are worth mentioning:
    Candy and a Currant Bun (b-side of Arnold Layne)
    Careful With That Axe, Eugene (b-side of Point Me at the Sky, later made available on Relics)

Queen
    Queen singles tended to just have album tracks as b-sides, so there are only a handful of bona fide non-album tracks that appeared on singles. Of these, most are fairly disposable, but the following are worth a listen:
    I Go Crazy (b-side of Radio Ga Ga: probably their best b-side, though everyone in the band apart from Brian May hated it)
    A Dozen Red Roses for My Darling (b-side of A Kind of Magic - effectively an instrumental of Don't Lose Your Head from the Kind of Magic album, but a better track in my opinion)
    My Life Has Been Saved (b-side of Scandal, and better than the inferior version they rerecorded for the Made In Heaven album)

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭mosstin

Suas11 wrote: »
    Radiohead:
    Pearly
    Palto Alto
    How I Made My Millions
    Polyethelene (Parts 1 & 2)
    Cuttooth
    Talk Show Host
    Gagging Order
    Indian Rubber
    The Trickster
    Lewis (Mistreated)

Stone Roses:
    All Across The Sands
    Standing Here
    Going Down
    Where Angels Play
    Something's Burning
    Mersey Paradise
    Groove Harder

Pixies:
    Into The White
    Wave Of Mutilation (UK Surf)
    Evil Hearted You
    Weird At My School
    Winterlong
    In Heaven

Elliott Smith:
    No Confidence Man
    I Don't Think I'm Ever Gonna Figure It Out
    A Living Will
    True Love
    Angel In The Snow
    Abused
    Some Song
    Brand New

Other than Something's Burning which would have fitted well on Second Coming I think all of those tracks you've mentioned epitomise what B-sides are - pretty but unsubstantial.

• Advertisement

The Smiths
    Handsome Devil
    Jeane
    Wonderful Woman
    Accept Yourself
    Back To The Old House
    Girl Afraid
    Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want
    How Soon Is Now?
    Stretch Out And Wait
    Rubber Ring
    Asleep
    London
    Half A Person
    Sweet And Tender Hooligan

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

“How Soon is Now” was later released as an A-side, actually making the UK Top 30 & The Irish Top 5 in 1985. I have the original 7” single somewhere, thought it was brilliant and unlike anything else I’d heard at the time.

U2 have some savage B-sides as well such as:

Salomé
    Lady with the Spinning Head
    Love Comes Tumbling
    Summer Rain
    Spanish Eyes

Depeche Mode have some excellent ones too:

Happiest Girl
    Dangerous
    Sea of Sin
    Oh Well
    Ice Machine
    Shout
    My Joy

How Soon Is Now? was also number one in Dave Fannings' Fab 50 1984.

It was released as a single in its own right during February 1985.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Oasis have probably the best output of B=sides that I'm aware of and for a period from 1997 until 2002 their most inspried stuff was B-sides and they have aged better than the three albums.

Robin Hood by Ocean Colour Scene is a top notch B-side aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

33915.jpg

Suede's B-sides were always worth waiting for. As a kid I'd always get excited when they released a new single as I knew the b-sides would be deadly. They eventually put the majority of their b-sides onto a double album called Sci-Fi Lullabies. Disc 1 in particular is a work of art. For any casual suede fans who haven't heard many of their b-sides, you should really get this album.

• Advertisement

Dunno why they left off Painted People and a couple of others.

Advertisement