Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Will Destroy You

Options
  • 23-06-2012 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else listen to This Will Destroy You?

Their first two most notable releases, an EP named 'Young Mountain' and their eponymous first studio album 'This Will Destroy You', could fall under the post-rock category, citing greats such as Godspeed You! Black Emperor as influences, while often being compared to fellow Texan band Explosions in the Sky during this period (much to their dismay).

I did really enjoy those releases, particularly 'This Will Destroy You', but it's their subsequent 2011 album 'Tunnel Blanket' that peaked my interest. The music is not easily accessible, it could be described as dark ambient, drone, doom, shoegaze, or as the band themselves have coined, doomgaze, a cross between doom metal and shoegaze.

The opening track 'Little Smoke' is initially quite ambient and brooding but it progresses into something far harsher. I love its heaviness, I think it's an amazing listen.

I think this combination of tracks, 'Killed The Lord, Left For The New World' and 'Osario', exemplifies the more atmospheric and uplifting elements to their sound, beautiful.

'Powdered Hand' is another favourite, it's slow and gloomy, featuring speech excerpts akin to GY!BE.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Heard about them plenty through last.fm, never given them a listen though.

Like the sound of that first video you posted, definite influences from GY!BE there, though there is a hint of doom metal as well.

Will listen to a few more tracks in the morning.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

tumblr_inline_n7mv60fXyX1qdpazi.jpg

01 – New Topia
    02 – Dustism
    03 – Serpent Mound
    04 – War Prayer
    05 – The Puritan
    06 – Mother Opiate
    07 – Invitation
    08 – Memory Loss
    09 – God's Teeth

This Will Destroy You are releasing a new album next week, entitled 'Another Language'. Apparently it's more upbeat and rhythmic than 'Tunnel Blanket', but they still use the term doomgaze to describe its genre. This is pleasing to see because I feel a strange sort of affinity for that kind of sound.

'Another Language' is out on Sept 12th.

Advertisement