Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Split Classes

• 23-06-2012 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

My child is just finishing second class and heading into 3rd having just finished in a split down class with 1st class. She has just brought home a school note advising that she is being split again downwards with 2nd class. Does anybody have any views on this. The note from the principal basically said decision was final and not open for discussion. Can anybody advise if schools have to have a policy or protocol in respect of how they organise their class splits. I am concerned that this isn't fair play. Surely she should have been mixed up rather than down. Some of the 2nd class pupils are being split up. Would appreciate any views or advice?

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 14,473 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Why should she have been split up, rather than down? Maybe the split is done alphabetically, or by age, or boys/girls... Or could be completely random. It seems they are just keeping the classes exactly as they were, just everyone moves on 1 year..

If you are concerned about the standard or level of education she is receiving then you could go speak to the class teacher and/or principal. You could also ask what is the policy on split classes and how the children are selected for the split.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Do you have a specific reason for why she should have been split into the older class? As Big Bag of Chips says, splits are done on stable criteria. The Department doesn't issue guidelines on this, so it's up to each school to decide themselves.

Splitting classes is almost the norm at this stage, and with cuts in teacher numbers it's going to happen more and more.

It would be completely unfair for any one parent to be given an option, this would mean everyone would have to be given the option, and this just isn't workable.

The fairest way is to split by age. It's not the most suitable way for a lot of children, but it means it's not up to anybody's opinion, just the age of the child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Conjecture in this thread about what is is fair and not fair, is neither here nor there. The school needs to be the one here to clarify the situation, and sending a note home with your child stating that this is not open to discussion, is a bit archaic, to say the least. Surely, they could have stated the reasons why so that parents would know. It is your right as a parent to go into school to find out the reasoning behind the decision making and the impact on your child and the class.

Of course, it is most likely that there is sound reasoning behind their decision but you need to find out exactly why from the school.

*Bee in my bonnet about half baked notes home from school - I got two such notes last week ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭muckisluck

it's amazing what people think is their right. It's certainly good practice for schools to keep parents informed but as to a parents right to know the reason for every decision!! I don't think so. There are too many decisions based on the needs of many to enable schools to give reasons to parents for everything. And as for age being the fairest way to split classes - isn't always true. Every situation needs to be thought out on its own merits and a decision made accordingly.

• Administrators Posts: 14,473 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I think a parent HAS a right to know the reasons behind decisions with regards to their child's education.

But... I don't think all decisions need to be laid out in notes home.

But if a parent poses the question to the school, they have a right to be told.... Of course they do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

muckisluck wrote: »
    it's amazing what people think is their right. It's certainly good practice for schools to keep parents informed but as to a parents right to know the reason for every decision!! I don't think so. There are too many decisions based on the needs of many to enable schools to give reasons to parents for everything. And as for age being the fairest way to split classes - isn't always true. Every situation needs to be thought out on its own merits and a decision made accordingly.

What nonsense!

Of course parents should know and it is their right to find out how their children are being educated and any decisions/changes that might affect them. Last time I checked, teachers and schools are paid by the taxpayers. If Ireland and its official bodies practiced more transparency and accountability in terms of what they do and the decisions they make, we wouldn't be in the mess we're in now.

Right across the board, it's time we woke up to the fact that we have a right to know how our taxes are being spent, how our schools are functioning and why the governing bodies: education board/ HSE etc. make the decisions they make..

Or should we just stay in the dark ages, cowering at the sight of any authority telling us what we should do, obeying without question - what absolute nonsense!

Having been a teacher for 18 years, I have the upmost respect for my students and their parents, and any decision/changes I make which may affect my class, I make sure that everyone is fully informed.

It is not rocket science. Good, clear communication is what's needed here.

Parents do have the right to know which criterion is being used to split classes in their child's school. It's much easier to just put it in as a line in the letter home eg Your child will be in Mr. X's class. Classes are split by age. Saves parents ringing up to find out why their child is in a certain class, and saves the principal from having to repeat the same answer over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Marath

Why should she have been split up, rather than down? Maybe the split is done alphabetically, or by age, or boys/girls... Or could be completely random. It seems they are just keeping the classes exactly as they were, just everyone moves on 1 year..

If you are concerned about the standard or level of education she is receiving then you could go speak to the class teacher and/or principal. You could also ask what is the policy on split classes and how the children are selected for the split.

In ans to your ?why split up as oppose to down. I am not speaking from experience as I have only one child but I have been told that if there is to be a split it would be better up rather than down. I gather 3rd class is very important year. I guess I don't understand why my child shd be split down 2years in a row and others sail thru without getting split at all. I have no concerns with the level of teaching she is getting. I will ck out the policy with the school. Tnx for your views.

E.T. wrote: »
    Do you have a specific reason for why she should have been split into the older class? As Big Bag of Chips says, splits are done on stable criteria. The Department doesn't issue guidelines on this, so it's up to each school to decide themselves.

Splitting classes is almost the norm at this stage, and with cuts in teacher numbers it's going to happen more and more.

It would be completely unfair for any one parent to be given an option, this would mean everyone would have to be given the option, and this just isn't workable.

The fairest way is to split by age. It's not the most suitable way for a lot of children, but it means it's not up to anybody's opinion, just the age of the child.

Splitting class may be the norm however splitting twice in a row seems unfair when others sail thru without being split and I don't know the school policy on how they do the split but it is not on age. Tnx for your views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Lalaloca

My son - age 9 - is going into a split class for the second year. While I was worried initially he has thrived. I have no idea of the basis of the split and ability wise it seems very mixed. At some point you have to trust that those trained in this area with experience of children generally and five hours of full on time with your child each day know what they are at. I am not a teacher but as a generality I would not suggest telling a dentist which of my child's teeth treat or a doctor what to prescribe. Let the teachers do their job. Wait and see before getting anxious.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Please don't use text speech in posts, as per charter.

Lalaloca wrote: »
    My son - age 9 - is going into a split class for the second year. While I was worried initially he has thrived. I have no idea of the basis of the split and ability wise it seems very mixed. At some point you have to trust that those trained in this area with experience of children generally and five hours of full on time with your child each day know what they are at. I am not a teacher but as a generality I would not suggest telling a dentist which of my child's teeth treat or a doctor what to prescribe. Let the teachers do their job. Wait and see before getting anxious.

Thank you for your views. I think you are straying off the point when you start talking about dentists and doctors! It's about fair play really. Why should some children sail throughwithout a split and others get split 2years in a row. I am sure we all trusted the banks in this country as well to make right decisions.

Marath you need to go and ask your child's school how they split the classes. None of us here can give you any definite advice besides this, as we don't know the exact situation.

Once a class has been split, it's more than likely they'll be split again during their years in primary school. A class is generally split because of size, so unless they lose or gain a lot of pupils, the situation is going to keep occurring.

The same pupils will end up being in the older/younger class each time because the school has to use the same criterion (age/name etc) each time.

There's no way of keeping parents happy with class splits. We tried different methods before settling on age, and there was always someone unhappy. I don't think age is ideal, but it's completely set in stone this way, and a lot more definite.

There are pros and cons to being in the higher/lower end of the split. The children are going to cover the same curriculum either way.

Advertisement