Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rip off shop in dun laoghaire <SNIP>

• 23-06-2012 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Brother went in as gears broke on an old bike.
    He is not very street smart as he has some mental health issues.
    Looks like they totally tricked him. The bike was basically a piece of crap but they dissuaded him from doing the right thing which would be buying a new cheap bike and insisted he get it fixed. The price crept upwards all the time and eventually they said 130 and him being unassertive agreed. When he went to collect it, the cost had crept up again to 185.
    I guess he has some fault for not being very assertive but that's not really his fault as he has problems with this.
    I think he was taken advantage of.
    Pisses me off when people pick on vulnerable people because they see an opportunity.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

If he went in to get his gears fixed, what actually happened that it cost that much? Was there a number of things wrong with the bike, which they offered to fix and he agreed? If so, that is not a rip off. He agreed to it. If you bring in a car to be fixed and the garage points out other things that need to be fixed, is that a rip off?

What has his mental issues got to do with things? Unless he told it, how are they meant to know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

so reprazant , by your genius logic - if he had indicated he had issues - the bike shop should have said ,

'oh sorry mate - we wont rip you off then- we thought you were an average punter we could shaft '

the bike shop is obviously rip central.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

reprazant wrote: »
    If he went in to get his gears fixed, what actually happened that it cost that much? Was there a number of things wrong with the bike, which they offered to fix and he agreed? If so, that is not a rip off. He agreed to it. If you bring in a car to be fixed and the garage points out other things that need to be fixed, is that a rip off?

What has his mental issues got to do with things? Unless he told it, how are they meant to know?

Have to agree with this.

OP says the gears needed to be fixed. Were they adjusted? Replaced? How long did it take? How much were (any) parts?

You should not go throwing accusations around like that without a bit more detail. Maybe they are complete robbers, but we dont know that from what you have said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Ironmaiden11

There is a certain type of business person who sees an opportunity when someone who seems a bit vulnerable comes under their radar. And while it might be not illegal,
    In my opinion it's a low act to behave this way. While I understand businesses need to make money, I don't think they should change prices without consulting their client first. In fact I think it may be not lawful but I'm unsure and I won't pursue it at this stage. The bike cost 150 to buy about 10 years ago. Perhaps he could have tried to sell him a new bike? He did tell me he asked about this several times but was steered away from this option.
    I guess the shop stood to make more money doing " multiple repairs" on the old one of which few were evident except the gear thing.
    I'm not an expert in this area but something looks a bit dodgy to me.
    Anyhow that's me done.
    I won't be going near that shop for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Can you get a break down of what they did. What the parts cost. If they ripped your bro off, scream it from the rooftops, but if your arguement is it was an old bike and not worth that, its more difficult.

If your brother said "just fix it", then they did just that. If he asked for a costing and opinion if it was viable to do, then thats another thing.

Ask them for a breakdown of the bill.

• Advertisement

I did email them but they didn't get back to me at all. Maybe they will. It's always hard to make any case against repair people for obvious reasons. For the record he came in looking for a quote and asked themif it would not just be better to get a new bike. They advised that wasn't necessary(true but not the best advice). They took it and quoted 130 for all and when he arrived to collect it had changed to 185 saying they had to realign a wheel as it was slightly buckled, he also needed a new chain...etc. they went ahead and "fixed" these things without asking him in advance and changed the price. And of course you can argue that he needs to be more assertive ie. to get a complete quote, state he wants to be contacted if it will cost more, even get it on paper. I am trying to instil this in him but he doesn't have alot of confidence so it's not an easy task.
    It's up to individuals what they think of these types of situations. And everyone can have his point of view.
    I personally wouldn't be doing business with this shop in my lifetime but I'm sure many will. Thanks 4 replies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭Pa Dee

Brother went in as gears broke on an old bike.
    He is not very street smart as he has some mental health issues.
    Looks like they totally tricked him. The bike was basically a piece of crap but they dissuaded him from doing the right thing which would be buying a new cheap bike and insisted he get it fixed. The price crept upwards all the time and eventually they said 130 and him being unassertive agreed. When he went to collect it, the cost had crept up again to 185.
    I guess he has some fault for not being very assertive but that's not really his fault as he has problems with this.
    I think he was taken advantage of.
    Pisses me off when people pick on vulnerable people because they see an opportunity.
    How do you know they dissuaded him from buying a new bike ? Sounds fishy. If your brother wanted new bike why bring the piece of crap with him. Something doesn't add up here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I did email them but they didn't get back to me at all.

That alone is reason enough to criticise them.

Thats your own point of view.
    I have my own.
    Please, feel entitled to yours without objection:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    That alone is reason enough to criticise them.

TBH - email is not a good way of raising complaints. It can get filtered off to a Junk Mail folder, where no one will see it. The best way to complain is in person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

The shop you mentioned and name now removed to save you from a defamation claim, is considered to be brilliant and has been in business for many many years (at least 25) and has only done so by providing superb service and excellent value.

Maybe you would like them to let the bike back out with a buckled wheel or a faulty chain - but then you'd be complaining about that is this caused a fall or other mishap.

You came here and defamed an excellent store with absolutely ZERO knowledge of the beakdown or of what work was done.

Call into them, ask for the breakdown of repairs and then if you are not happy, have a gripe.

BYW - many people prefer to repair an old and trusted bike than pay for a new one - even if a new one would cost less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

When he went to collect it, the cost had crept up again to 185.
    Act polite, walk into the shop today, and get a full breakdown written down on what they did. And then let us know what they charged your bro for, and the people here can tell you if your bro got ripped off, or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

alphabeat wrote: »
    so reprazant , by your genius logic - if he had indicated he had issues - the bike shop should have said ,

'oh sorry mate - we wont rip you off then- we thought you were an average punter we could shaft '

the bike shop is obviously rip central.

It is about as genius logic as the op stating that the shop is a rip off when he doesn't know what they did, what they were asked for, what was said, what was agreed and what was actually wrong with the bike. There could have been a massive amount of things wrong with it.

The fact he had mental issues is irrelevant as there is no way of proving that the shop knew about it or took advantage of it. As for buying a cheap new bike, what if the cheapest bike they had there was €300? If that was the case, then the op would be on here moaning that they made him buy a new bike when they only needed to fix a few things.

Advertisement