Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Programmable Logic Controllers in your Home?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Why are you not willing to say what you understand is the problem with this conforming to EN50131.?
    The standards are a freely available document so there is no issue quoting them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 homelogic.ie

Would you mind PM me a link? Up to now I was under impression that you have to buy one. And this is one of reasons. Thanks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You do have to pay for it . But the document is available to anyone who wants it. Its the dame as quoting from a newspaper etc. As you are coming on telling us what's allowed and what's not under the standards I presume you have your own copy.
    This is the second thread where you state reluctance to post on a public forum when you arequestioned on something.
    I take it your still not going to tell us where in the standards your referring to..

Recently I was involved in a project where security systems (alarm, CCTV, access control, fire alarm) had to be integrated with a BMS system to respond accordingly. BMS operator had to have remote access, operation and supervision of all systems. Original plan involved extracting signals to BMS on input/output basis (same as in this thread) but was appealed by security consultant, even when BMS had his own login procedure, and changing state of relays required code.
    Reason - BMS is not grade certified and arm/disarm code is operated by not identified sub system - code had to be send directly to security system. EN 50131-1 & 50131-3
    Solution - introducing module from alarm panel manufacturer connected to BMS data BUS (that's why I asked about data BUS previously).

So now I hope you understand why I have objected this type of solution proposed by 2011.
    As to EN spec, I had access to it whilst involved in project, but I don't have my copy as I don't need one, therefore I cannot quote from it.
    But, by all means please share your copy with public to verify what I have stated, because I might be completely wrong.
    I would like you to provide a link to this "freely available document", because as much as I would like to clarify this situation with a security professional, other forum users may have different opinion on the topic. On the other side I have a doubts of calling €200+ to buy document available to anyone who wants it - it may suggest that users can easily validate opinions stated in this topic.

Still no reference to what part of the standards you are referring to .
    I said the standards are freely available . You seem to be confusing this with free.
    I find it amazing that you come on here arguing re the standards and then admit you don't even have a copy of same.

• Advertisement

I have clearly stated before that I'm not in alarms anymore, and my opinion is based on knowledge and experience. I have also stated on couple of occasions to what part of EN I'm referring to.
    I might confuse free with freely, but in this instance is important that we are talking about something you have to pay for. I could say that new Samsung TV is not displaying HD signal properly, and you can freely verify it - just go to store and check it yourself - you don't have to buy one for yourself.

What is actually amazing is that you still didn't prove that I'm right or wrong, and you suppose to be an expert here.
    So please share with forum members you copy of paragraph 50131 -1 and 50131 -3 of EN regulation otherwise this discussion will never end.
    I would like to admit that I have no problem to take criticism if proved that I was wrong, and this whole thing was only due to my lack of knowledge. Every day is a school day.

I am not here to supply you with the standards.
    You come on and make the accusations . You then admit you have no copy of the standards and you are not involved in alarms any more. On top of that you try to argue you are not happy to discuss parts of the standards on a public forum but you are happy for me to supply you with the information you don't have.
    Is the line ,I don't want to discuss this on an open forum, going to be your defense for everything? If so ,you are not going to fit in very well on boards.

This is going in a very bad direction as I was afraid of. I'm not asking you to supply me with documents, but forum members so they can verify it. That's why I don't see point to continue this topic on public forum.

If I'm not in alarms anymore, does it mean that I can't state my opinion? Does it mean that all what I have learned in the trade is not important any more?
    If so then you are right - I'm not going to fit here at all.
    Still no answer form alarm professional about mentioned situation. I wonder why?
    End of story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

What is actually amazing is that you still didn't prove that I'm right or wrong, and you suppose to be an expert here.
    If a poster comes in making claims, the burden of proof would probably be more on them.

Thanks Robbie. TBH Im not interested whose right or wrong. Much of the standards can be open to interpretation all I am asking is what part of EN50131 he is interpreting as not allowing remote access in the manner suggested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

KoolKid wrote: »
    Thanks Robbie. TBH Im not interested whose right or wrong. Much of the standards can be open to interpretation all I am asking is what part of EN50131 he is interpreting as not allowing remote access in the manner suggested.

Yea its hard to see the problem posting items from a document or book of standards that can be bought by anyone that wants to buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Hicker09

Hey all,

I have a quick question. Im starting a project involving a logo 230rc. Can anyone help me sourcing one at a good price? Im looking for the starter box or news box 230rc. Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Stephen.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

Hey thanks, yeah i have been checking ebay and have seen this one but im looking for the starter box or news box with the PLC coms cable and software. I know i can get it in RS but was looking for a better price.

Stephen.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

I'd say the software will be expensive enough knowing Siemens. I know that a demo version is available on their website but you cannot upload/download. As for the cable you could make one up if you know the pin arrangement. Should be easy enough to find it out on the web.

I'd say the software will be expensive enough knowing Siemens. I know that a demo version is available on their website but you cannot upload/download. As for the cable you could make one up if you know the pin arrangement. Should be easy enough to find it out on the web.

Ok thanks, Yeah i have been using the free software and am pretty good with S7 so programming will not be a problem. I will keep an eye on ebay. Thanks again.

Stephen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

You could buy the new model logo,
    http://radionics.rs-online.com/web/p/logic-modules/7391381/
    it's more expensive but it's got more features
    and you won't need a special cable, it uses a standard ethernet cable.
    The software is not that expensive either, about €50

I got one of these Allen Bradley's recently, but didn't have time to have a play yet.

http://www.digeotek.com/review-of-micro810-plc-starter-kit

it's a similar unit to the logo, the software is free, it uses a standard printer cable, as a promotional pack it came with a 4 switch simulator board and a quality Victorinox swiss army knife, all for about €120 (I think)

You could buy the new model logo,
    http://radionics.rs-online.com/web/p/logic-modules/7391381/
    it's more expensive but it's got more features
    and you won't need a special cable, it uses a standard ethernet cable.
    The software is not that expensive either, about €50

I got one of these Allen Bradley's recently, but didn't have time to have a play yet.

http://www.digeotek.com/review-of-micro810-plc-starter-kit

it's a similar unit to the logo, the software is free, it uses a standard printer cable, as a promotional pack it came with a 4 switch simulator board and a quality Victorinox swiss army knife, all for about €120 (I think)

Thanks for the info. Where did you get the micro810? Would like to have a play with one.

Stephen.

Advertisement