Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you manage your recovery??

Options
  • 23-06-2012 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Im wondering how ye all manage your recovery effectively? I made the decision at the start of the season to race more as last year I trained 90% of the time and only raced about 10%. So far this year iv'e been racing about 40% to 60% training. I have raced every saturday for the last three weeks and plan to race again this saturday coming. I have have been doing one long easy session of each discipline during the week and then race on the weekend. I feel fine during the week on the long easy sessions but I'm finding my legs are still in bits come the weekend wen i race, not able for the speed and intensity.

Recovery:

Stretching
    Compression tights post race
    Recovery drinks (kinetica)
    Icing post race to prevent injury
    Cant take protein shakes, hate the taste of them ALL!!

Anybody have any tips or advice to add to the list to help speed recovery along?? :) What works for you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

tbh that's sounds like over-racing. I suppose it comes down to do you want to potentially reach the limits of your ability and race well in 2 or 3 a year or just finish. If you are racing every Saturday you wont be doing yourself justice with the times you'll be posting but for some thats fine. If its purely for enjoyment without lofty goals its fine (to an extent! you could end up sick/injured)

Sorry that doesnt really answer your question.

Maybe throw in some massage to the mix. Im currently trying to get one every 3 to 4 weeks to keep me ticking along, maybe increase the frequency and get one the day after each race (if funds allow of course!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

subscriber wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Im wondering how ye all manage your recovery effectively? I made the decision at the start of the season to race more as last year I trained 90% of the time and only raced about 10%. So far this year iv'e been racing about 40% to 60% training. I have raced every saturday for the last three weeks and plan to race again this saturday coming. I have have been doing one long easy session of each discipline during the week and then race on the weekend. I feel fine during the week on the long easy sessions but I'm finding my legs are still in bits come the weekend wen i race, not able for the speed and intensity.

Recovery:

Stretching
    Compression tights post race
    Recovery drinks (kinetica)
    Icing post race to prevent injury
    Cant take protein shakes, hate the taste of them ALL!!

Anybody have any tips or advice to add to the list to help speed recovery along?? :) What works for you?

Not doing more races than my body can handle would be number one on my list of recovery tips.

Advertisement