Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying yeast

Options
  • 23-06-2012 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I managed to buy brewers yeast today and am told it is active rather than spent, though I will test this tonight on a sample. I bought 250gr for €2.09, in Dun Laoghaire. I am not sure if posting where is allowed.

There are no details of what type of yeast it is etc.

B.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Can you describe the jar or product? Is it dried or liquid?

Brewers Yeast, normally sold in health food stores, is normally dead yeast, which is actually pretty nutritious.

I have a couple of basic cheap brewing yeasts around the house, usually of the youngs variety. They are cheap and cheerful, and save me from using bread yeast.

Would like access to proper beer yeast though, some of the London home brewers get theirs direct from the small breweries around here ....

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bjroche

Hi. It came in clear plastic packaging. It is dry and like the yeast that came with the kit. My understanding from the seller is that it is live and I will test it tomorrow and post then. B.

Its dehydrated live yeast then. It should have rehydration instructions.

If you need basic yeast, I tend to get some of the youngs generic wine and beer brewing yeast. You get it in small jars and it is cheap. There is a version that can tolerate high ABV also and it comes with its own nutrients.

If you are looking for a cheap, multi-use alternative to bread yeast, you can't go wrong with it.

If you are trying for particular flavours, you are better off using the yeast recommended in a recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The 250g size and cheap price would make me think this is a dietary supplement, rather than intended for brewing.

Country cellar was the only place I knew of in dun laoghaire selling brewing stuff, it is now closed.

I cannot say if it is worth using or not, or if it will even work.

To check if it is active you could add some to a small sugar water starter, before committing to a proper brew.

Yeah if you put some in a glass of warm water, with a bit of sugar in it, it will activate if its live yeast.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I get my stuff from here..delivery is a flat rate 4 euro so order loads is the key!

Advertisement