Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cloning & propagation

Options
  • 23-06-2012 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭

I have a Raised bed herb Garden out the back, I also have 2 boxes filled with Soil for Moroccan mint and the other filled with Mint,

zwj0uh.jpg

124bgjq.jpg

rk22aq.jpg

2m49fk8.jpg

33cr806.jpg

This my first time Growing home made Strawberries and
    was thinking of Cloning my Strawberries and moving them into my Shed,
    with heat bulbs, along with some Lemon and lime Trees to keep up with my Mojitos Drinking...
    As you can see my Mint was easy to clone jut cut a node and place it into a glass of water
    till the roots start to grow then plant,

but was looking at a better way of cloning
    was looking on Youtube hes using clonex
    would like to know is their any place where i can
    buy root growth hormone in Cork City
    any help would be greatful

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Sorry are you asking about cloning in general or about cloning strawberries specifically? Strawberries are the easiest thing in the world. When they throw out runners (which they already are at this time of year), peg down the tip either in the soil/compost or in a small pot. They will root in about 3 weeks(ish), at which point you can cut the runner and sever it from the mother. Let it grow on in the pot and plant it out in August (or sooner if it is thriving). Or pot it on into 2 litre pot. In one year I have multiplied 6 plants to about 70. From each of the 6 I took 4 runners last summer. From each of those I have taken 3 or 4 already this year :) Some in the tunnel, some in the ground.
    I don't know anything about rooting compounds but they certainly are not necessary for strawberries. Hope that's what you were asking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Well cloning in general

I like to get into it and move onto my flowers out in the front and bring my front garden up to what I would like it to be,

And I was reading that root hormone and root riot is a 90% succefully rate at growing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Cork24 wrote: »
    Well cloning in general

I like to get into it and move onto my flowers out in the front and bring my front garden up to what I would like it to be,

And I was reading that root hormone and root riot is a 90% succefully rate at growing

Yeah but that would only be based on the very best of conditions and could not refer to all types of plants.

I wouldn't worry to much about the brand name and it's claims for now just pick out what you want to propagate and learn as you go along.

As Redser said strawberries are so easy to split they don't require any hormone( or work really).

Not all cuttings require hormone, it would just be a waste of money really.

Apart from strawberries, what are you looking at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 mc gripen

You can get root hormone powder from woodies, think its about 5 euro for a tub of doff.

Advertisement