Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

105.1 Open Tempo FM (formerly 104.1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Sully wrote: »
    Is there not a risk of this being shut down by the BCI?
    That's what made me wonder. On the other hand they might be suiting up to start as recognized Community Radio is such option exists.

Case study:
    http://www.bai.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/201006_driversofchange_vbai.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

They were doing a new sports show on Saturday.. it was actually pretty savage!

from facebook

"Featuring Partizan & Dr. Blue at the desk from the Radio DBSC crew.
    They will be discussing Football, Grid Iron & general sport."

http://www.fundit.ie/project/opentempofm---growing-and-expanding

4 days left lads.. ive pledged thisevening, not looking like they will make it, hopefully they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Many thanks to the folks at Open tempo FM for their extended interview and coverage of SAW Fest last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 FestyOSemtex

0rt wrote: »
    They were doing a new sports show on Saturday.. it was actually pretty savage!

from facebook

"Featuring Partizan & Dr. Blue at the desk from the Radio DBSC crew.
    They will be discussing Football, Grid Iron & general sport."

I second that.

I was listening to the Saturday Sports Show with Partizan and Tubby yesterday and it was absolutely brilliant. They covered the Blues, League of Ireland, gave great coverage to Waterford Junior League and in the second hour they had on boxing and rugby. The rapport between the two presenters was telling. They just semed to bounce off each other. I found some of the banter hilarious. Its so much better than its equivalent 'On the Ball' show on WLR which frankly speaking I find hard to listen to. I welcome Open Tempo as they have been like a breath of fresh air on the local radio scene that badly needs a shake up. Beat FM is rubbish.

I'll be tuning in next weekend. Keep up the good work lads.

• Advertisement

old gregg wrote: »
    Many thanks to the folks at Open tempo FM for their extended interview and coverage of SAW Fest last night.

Open Tempo do seem to be promoting alot of the local alternative bands and DJs in Waterford. They are tapping into something big here. Their Sunday programming (Stolen Prescription, Kitchen Sink, Polish Show and Jimmy Java) is just class. Sunday evenings after the footy and Sunday dinner are made for putting the feet up and listening to good radio. ye cant beat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

I have to say, i am not even a football fan but i have found myself 3 weeks in a row now listening to that saturday sport show and enjoying every bit of it... the banter and all that makes it interesting to listen to even though i know nothing about sportsball!!

The stolen prescription has been a must for me since it started on the station, i must say i'm a big fan of this station!!

Every Friday at 6pm, i preset the car stereo to OT for the weekend, and every Monday morning i sadly hear static and have to resort to the commercial vomit machine for another 5 days..

H

Heathen wrote: »
    I have to say, i am not even a football fan but i have found myself 3 weeks in a row now listening to that saturday sport show and enjoying every bit of it... the banter and all that makes it interesting to listen to even though i know nothing about sportsball!!

The stolen prescription has been a must for me since it started on the station, i must say i'm a big fan of this station!!

Every Friday at 6pm, i preset the car stereo to OT for the weekend, and every Monday morning i sadly hear static and have to resort to the commercial vomit machine for another 5 days..

H

Amen to that. I turned on the car radio this morning and it was either a choice of the Big Breakfast Blaa on WLR whose format like that of WLR hasnt changed in years. Its old and stale. Beat FM which is frankly rubbish and theres that uptight ponce Ray Darcy on Today FM. Dont get me started with Radio 1 or 2FM all government mouthpieces. Newstalk is owned by Denis O'Brien so nuff said.

Its no wonder that WLR has the highest listenership ratings in Waterford. It is not because of the quality of their content, its to do with the fact that there is no other competition locally. Open Tempo sounds like they are run by a sound bunch of lads with a passion for their work and radio. They should revisit the Beta Lounge session stuff that Jimmy Java frequently plays. Long may it continue.

Dacent music on the go now.. think im in a touch of a black spot, bit fuzzy but its grant out and about in the car :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Thinking about this more. A bunch of us recently voluntarily ran an international festival of experimental electronic music in Waterford. None of the local media were interested, the people of Waterford were mostly disinterested (including most on this forum), people around the world were very interested because it was the first of its kind in Ireland, national media were interested for the same reasons but Open Tempo really got behind us. We're really grateful and I hope they stay around and we're happy to promote them too. Great bunch of forward thinking folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

old gregg wrote: »
    Thinking about this more. A bunch of us recently voluntarily ran an international festival of experimental electronic music in Waterford. None of the local media were interested, the people of Waterford were mostly disinterested (including most on this forum), people around the world were very interested because it was the first of its kind in Ireland, national media were interested for the same reasons but Open Tempo really got behind us. We're really grateful and I hope they stay around and we're happy to promote them too. Great bunch of forward thinking folks.

It highlights the need for an fully independent alternative in Waterford. Controlled by a separate entity.

7upfree wrote: »
    It highlights the need for an fully independent alternative in Waterford. Controlled by a separate entity.

Nail on the head. Aren't WLR and Beat FM from the same stable?

I switched the dial on the wireless to Open Tempo last Friday evening and it stayed there until the wee hours of this morning when I tucked in for the night. Again the quality of the broadcasts did not disappoint. House Nation, Saturday Sports Show, Go Bang Afternooner with a load of New Wave stuff, Sunset Sessions and yesterday the Kitchen Sink, Polish Show and Beta Sessions. Lets just say I put the feet up yesterday from 5pm till late and just listened to quality radio. There wasn't a scrap of washing up done.

Oh by the way, I follow them on twitter too and I was genuinely surprised to see that the Saturday Sports Show lads, Partizan and Mad Blaa have a podcast for their shows. Its right here - http://opentemposss.podbean.com/

Fair play to them. Keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭decies

To be fair the sports guys are very good but lol at the home town comments above , lads your trying to hard lol, best of luck anyways .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

:D

2cfvqb.jpg

Chaps could you get your website fixed, it look 1m 32 sec to load! That livechat on the front page is hardly required.

hahah smaller boobs!

decies wrote: »
    To be fair the sports guys are very good but lol at the home town comments above , lads your trying to hard lol, best of luck anyways .

Home town comments? Where are you getting that from? I have nothing to do with Open Tempo FM.

I am over on the 'Relationship Issues' forum giving out advice to lads with their relationship problems including one poor sod who's Brazilian lack is heading back to Rio next month. :pac:

Oh btw lads, when are ye getting the internet stream sorted?

still no dedicated stream by the looks of things..
    They been on all xmas tho! theres some great tuneage there now, Ikealad or something?

Sorry.. Ikeaboy!
    I just looked at their fb.

10:00 - 12:00 - Skye
    12:00 - 14:00 - Beta Sessions
    14:00 - 16:00 - Ikeaboy
    16:00 - 18:00 - Vinny
    18:00 - 20:00 - The Madder Blaast
    20:00 - 22:00 - Saturday Sports Show end of year special
    22:00 - 00:00 - The Shotgun

• Advertisement

Seems they got the streaming sorted out last week!
    Ive the android app here, streaming all the time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

does anyone even listen to this radio station. seems ****e to me!

how would they even know how many listeners they have?

guess im the only one :D

0rt wrote: »
    guess im the only one :D

been honest if these guys were making any impact to listens to WLR or Beat then they would be shut down already.

if listener number were going down it would effect wlr or beat advertising revenue and these boys would have been closed down long ago

the saturday sports show is absolute cringe i must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Gardner wrote: »
    been honest if these guys were making any impact to listens to WLR or Beat then they would be shut down already.

if listener number were going down it would effect wlr or beat advertising revenue and these boys would have been closed down long ago

No fan of them. But it's an alternative to WLR. Which a City this size should have as a given really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭decies

why do you think sports show is cringe worthy? What do people want in sport shows?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Shellakybooky

To be fair on the impact on wlr listener's I find it hard to see the likes of say a Bridie age 58 from Keanes rd who listens to the breakfast blaa, Deise AM or say Drive-time (which has been shuffling the same play list for the last 15 years) each day switching over to listen to UNTZ, Ikeaboy,Beta Sessions, Cold Kutz etc.

Beat is a different monster again. Generic pop 90% of the day with the chart toppers repeated almost on the hour every hour.

The people who like to listen to a wide variety of bands, DJ's, producers and genres and not what the charts have told us to don't tend to listen to WLR or Beat. I for one have more respect for my ears. What I think Open Tempo have done is given people who have been disillusioned with radio for years something to tune into, a change from the norm and a vastly superior place to listen to quality music from around the world and local artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

does anyone even listen to this radio station.

Yes.... every weekend without fail, and no, i am not a presenter posting to boost ratings or anything, i am just someone who appreciates real music and not the easy to digest commercial crap that licensed stations are obliged to play every hour of every day... Open tempo is a very welcome change to my ear drums!! I was a massive fan of the super pirates of the 1980's when i lived in Dublin, because of the choice they offered, this station does a great job of providing an alternative to those who care about what comes out of the radio in the car or at home.

H

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭joni1

Heathen wrote: »
    Yes.... every weekend without fail, and no, i am not a presenter posting to boost ratings or anything, i am just someone who appreciates real music and not the easy to digest commercial crap that licensed stations are obliged to play every hour of every day... Open tempo is a very welcome change to my ear drums!! I was a massive fan of the super pirates of the 1980's when i lived in Dublin, because of the choice they offered, this station does a great job of providing an alternative to those who care about what comes out of the radio in the car or at home.

H

Always tune in at the weekend's too...guaranteed some great tunes that you won't hear on WLR

• Advertisement

is there a way from tracking how many listeners they have or how many have downloaded apps etc?

Advertisement