Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

105.1 Open Tempo FM (formerly 104.1)

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

realistically there is no way to track any stations listeners..
    WLR and Beat get a survey company to do their listenership.. ive never been called, had me door knocked on or even seen an online survey that was part of their summing up how many listeners they have.
    So i would imagine its even harder for a pirate to judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

0rt wrote: »
    realistically there is no way to track any stations listeners..
    WLR and Beat get a survey company to do their listenership.. ive never been called, had me door knocked on or even seen an online survey that was part of their summing up how many listeners they have.
    So i would imagine its even harder for a pirate to judge.

The licensed stations are monitored under the Joint National Listenership Ratings (JNLR) survey which is done independently by the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland. However, while this is the bible by which stations measure everything and set their ad rates etc, it is an extremely crude measurement device. The sample is just 200 people in the listening region and the questions just record whether or not a respondent actually listened to the station at all on one day. So if you were in the car and listening to RTE 1 and happened to switch to WLR at 2pm to listen to the news and switched away again straight after, it would still count towards WLR's listenership as well as RTE's.

As for app downloads - many people download station apps but how many actually use them - I currently have WLR, Today FM, BBC, RTE, Newstalk and Sky News but rarely listen to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 FestyOSemtex

Heathen wrote: »
    Yes.... every weekend without fail, and no, i am not a presenter posting to boost ratings or anything, i am just someone who appreciates real music and not the easy to digest commercial crap that licensed stations are obliged to play every hour of every day... Open tempo is a very welcome change to my ear drums!! I was a massive fan of the super pirates of the 1980's when i lived in Dublin, because of the choice they offered, this station does a great job of providing an alternative to those who care about what comes out of the radio in the car or at home.

H

+1

I also remember the pirates of the 80s and they provided an alternative to the stale fare offered up by the mainstream established stations. Open Tempo is doing the same service 25 years on, providing that alternative. Beat and WLR do not cater for a significant section of the 15-40 demographic into which Open Tempo has exploited that absence and carved out a niche. WLR has not altered their line up in 20 years and on some shows the playlist reflects that. Beat FM as a previous poster said, just plays recycled chart music non stop. No thanks.

Open Tempo has provided us radio listeners with a much needed choice. I'm no fan of House or Techno mind you but the person who said that the Sports Show was "absolute cringe" needs to get a grip. In stark to its counterpart on WLR, 'On the Ball', Open Tempo's Sports Show has a specific emphasis on local sport which is very welcome. The music on Sunday veers from rock, heavy metal, motown, soul to alternative to Polish which is fantastic as the other stations never venture into this territory. Who else plays that choice? No one one only Open Tempo. Long may they continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

I love Open Tempo. That's all I have to say really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I generally listen to 3 main genres of music: Metal, Techno and Ambient. I can hear them all and more on Open Tempo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭decies

I just saw its now live on tune in opentempofm all one word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tenpole Tudorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

2 Streams now!
    The website says the second one is "used to stream live events, matches, gigs etc."
    Clicked and theres Chillout tunes on it... filling the gap between live broadcasts?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Good to hear that these guys are back!

Advertisement