Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is workplace bullying?

Options
  • 23-06-2012 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Long time user here but have to go unregistered for this.

Been in a senior position in manufacturing for a long time and have always been looked upon as a decent worker.But now I have a problem with a co-worker.

This co worker and I have always gotten along quite well but lately hes been pushing his weight around with regards to tasks and jobs that frankly he cant be bothered to do himself.Hes not my senior line manager but is on the same level as me.
    Im not even sure how to describe the situation but lately hes been getting involved with tasks and directions that are supposedly part of my job description.

When I question him about this I get told Im not doing my job right in his opinion.Hes also shouted and roared down the phone at me,hung up on me and generally made me feel uncomfortable in the job.Yet the senior management seem to love this bloke,in my opinion only because he walks the walk and talks the talk.
    Im seriously considering resigning over this and want to know where I stand legally.I have been keeping a diary of every incident as advised by a colleague who is doing the same and is getting the same treatment from this same person.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

The company will need to have been notified of the bullying and been given a chance to rectify and failed for the company to be liable.
    So your first step is to talk to a manager or HR about the incidents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

I agree on that one. You'd want to get onto HR about the whole thing. Keep records of whats going on is a good idea. Are there not policies in the company regarding professional behavior etc ?
    If that doesn't help I'd speak to a solicitor, ( id nearly do that anyway) moreso to know where you stand on the whole thing. I wouldn't let it fester and eat your confidance either.
    Good luck

Rich;)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Op here again.

Its not getting any better.The advice to contact HR wont work.The company doesnt have a HR department.The problem is that this employee is the apple of the bosses eye and if I complain it could make life a lot more difficult for me.
    They will find a reason to get rid of me.I have seen it happen in the past and this company has numerous findings against it for both unfair and constructive dismissal but yet they continue to treat their staff in this way.So next question what constitutes unfair dismissal or constructive dismissal.Im seriously considering resigning and taking action against them.I feel I have no other choice in the matter as this place will bring me to an early grave.The stress and physical symptoms of that stress have me at the GP`s at least once or twice a month.

Is a job really worth all this?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

You're better off talking to a solicitor to see what cause you need to show for constructive dismissal. It's up to you to prove it, unlike an unfair dismissal case where the company has to prove they let you go properly and for good reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

Hi There,

Its hard I'd say. I agree with the previous person that you'd want to start talking to a Solicitor just to see where you stand.
    I know you keep a diary of situations, ever try to use your phone to record a situation if you think you are going to have abusive reply/situation ? The other person wouldn't be aware obviously, shirt pocket!
    On a different note, ....A job isent worth that much trouble, especially if your at the stage of seeing a Doctor. (Actually your Doctor would be a witness too to whats going on would he not??)
    To be honest I'd say if you could try to find another job. I know its all very well in the present climate but it does sound as though you have your wits about you and your not stupid. The relief that would give you , I cant imagine. Also, who wants to go down the route of litigation, the pawns never win....despite the pricks that cause all the discomfort...
    Sure look at the way the banks behave, the bosses are all still in power after all the **** that went on...
    Wont go on, or I could be here all day !!! I hope it works out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 clairebearxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭mm_surf

Lots of info here:
    http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Topics/Bullying_at_Work/

Note: It's only a failing on the employer's part if they fail to manage the bullying, not just if it occurs, i.e. it's not the same as being injured at work.

M.

I recently left a company where I was happy but unfulfilled for a new job, the work was perfect for me but my boss took a dislike to me from the beginning and I recognised he was a very disturbed person, classic bully of a type I'd come across years before.

He started making demands of me that he thought were difficult but I found easy, that really got him going. Closed door meetings, offhand statements, some of a personal or sexual nature, inappropriate threats, foul language and outbursts (usually directed at his phone, not me, but still very odd behaviour that made me uncomfortable), ended up being told regularly that I would be fired if I was judged to be not up to the job (judged by someone who didn't understand what I even did!) It was the usual bag of tricks these pricks do, but all very intimidating at the time.

I started feeling isolated, couldn't fit in, scared stiff of losing the job, knew I was in deep trouble, started stammering and making mistakes.

I won't bore with any more details but I had to resign after 3 months. Now no job, and probably no reference to speak of. I'm lucky though, I'm positive regarding my skills so I'll be okay I think.

In terms of where to turn, there's plenty of hands-off advice from the softly, softly much-begloved HSA type of organisations. The problem with this country is that there is no support network for people bullied in the workplace. And there is no independent advocacy system in place for vulnerable people, by which I mean any person at the wrong end of a power imbalance, including new employees.

I'm going to give this some more thought, maybe I can find time to be involved in something like this. Is there anyone else out there who thinks a support system is worthwhile or achievable?

Hi again.Looking for a bit more advice.
    Im the op in this thread and I thought Id update this.

I finally left this position in May.

What led to this was a final push by management in which my contract was changed without prior notice in a one line email to this other bloke that I mentioned in my previous post.

After this things went downhill completely as this other person technically took over my workload which to be completely honest had been going on from when I started this thread.

After this a p45 was issued without my knowledge moving me or my salary from one branch to another.

I gave my notice in May and left.
    Now heres where things get interesting.I wanted to walk away from this and put it behind me but since Monday I haven't slept a wink with worry.
    There was a stock count done a week ago that showed up discrepancies.I got a call from a friend in the company saying that they were blaming me on this which is complete crap since I had nothing to do with either company since May and had less to do with the first place since 2012

They have even went over my adverts.ie profile to see if I was selling supposedly missing stock on adverts.There was only one person in the company that knew my adverts,ie user name and that's yep you guessed it the person mentioned in my OP.

So my question..what would people here do?
    I still have another month left before the time for me to put in a constructive dismissal claim tuns out but my solicitor has now said that I also have grounds for a defamation case aswell due to this latest round of slating my character.

Im at my wits end here.

These allegations although completely untrue could destroy my future career.

Any advice?
    Thanks.

Advertisement