Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs for individual personalities.

• 23-06-2012 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi,

I have seen some references on different threads about certain breeds suiting certain peoples personalities.

What suggestions do people have, like what dog breed would suit a lazy person, a hyper person or an anxious person.

Or does it matter.

I would have said a GSD would be the last dog for stress head like myself.

After giving it some thought I realised my GSD didn't suit my personality, but he has improved me.

My GSD's a little nuts, someone said he was depressed and highly strung and that if I was really calm around him he'd improve. I can be impatient sometimes and stressed.

So, I improved my behaviour, and of course, the dog also improved. I am now mindful how I speak and interact with the dog, he likes me to be calm and speak quietly to him. We can even walk better as he doesn't seem to pull on the lead as much. I got permission from a local farmer to walk him off lead in a field away from the road and animals, he loves it.

So, do you think there's a personality specific breed for people, iykwim.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Definitely I think that some dogs suit some personalities better than others. I could never have a Collie, I find them very needy and their constant need to be worked would drive me nuts. My terriers are independent enough that they'll chill out and entertain themselves a lot of the time, and don't constantly look to me for stimulation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

shuridunno wrote: »
    What suggestions do people have, like what dog breed would suit a lazy person, a hyper person or an anxious person.

To be perfectly honest all of the above personality traits are not compatible with dog ownership fullstop. With that said no-one has only one or only negative personality traits and its the full combination of personality, activity levels and lifestyle not just of the owner but the entire household that should be taken into account when choosing a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭pushkii

I think the dog you choose to bring into your life most often times has a similiar personality to you. And i do think that sometimes the dogs resemble you physically!!

Advertisement