Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is now the time to move?

• 23-06-2012 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Just looking for people's opinions on what to do.
    I'm one of the lucky people who has been offered hours again for next year in the school I was in. Not full hours (which I was on) but have been told it will be more than 16. The thing is I'm not entirely happy in the school and it's over 2hours from home and the other half. We wld love to live together but obviously distance is the not practical, so I am considering moving closer to home
    I'm just looking for people's opinions as to whether now is the right time to make this move? Is there likely to be many jobs in the next few years when those who were due to retire have more than likely gone this year? Or should I just count my blessings and hold onto the hours at a time when getting your own hours is slim? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Murzie wrote: »
    Just looking for people's opinions on what to do.
    I'm one of the lucky people who has been offered hours again for next year in the school I was in. Not full hours (which I was on) but have been told it will be more than 16. The thing is I'm not entirely happy in the school and it's over 2hours from home and the other half. We wld love to live together but obviously distance is the not practical, so I am considering moving closer to home
    I'm just looking for people's opinions as to whether now is the right time to make this move? Is there likely to be many jobs in the next few years when those who were due to retire have more than likely gone this year? Or should I just count my blessings and hold onto the hours at a time when getting your own hours is slim? :confused:

Murzie, how long have you taught there and is there a break? (are you close to getting a CID?) Is it a VEC? What subjects are you qualified to teach?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Murzie

Starting second year there in sept if I go back, no break. No its not VEC. I teach two core subjects but didn't teach one of them in this school. But did take on re classes and resource

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

If I were you I would sign the contract you may even manage to get 18 hours if they top up with sphe? There is no harm
    in applying for jobs in your desired location and see what happens! If you have the
    money I would do the icepe online special needs course as maybe it would increase your chances?
    http://www.icepe.ie/cert-dip-special.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Unless you have another job in the pipeline you'd be unwise to turn that job down. Build your experience. It's easier to find a job when you have a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

When you say "the other half", I hope you mean wife/husband or at least long term girlfriend/boyfriend if you're considering turning down a 16+ hour contract to be close to them. Otherwise you're mad to even consider turning it down with no alternative job lined up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement