Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Prison Service Jobs - PASO 3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

Got a call offering me my first preferance. I'm shocked...really didn't think I'd get it. Start training in October. Can't wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Yeboah

Was told there doing western prisons first etc and then dublin and midlands...said id wait until my preference came up..They didnt know when but am high on order of merit so hopefully Oct Nov like the rest of ye
    shawmor wrote: »
    I got told the same training in October or November.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 curtain12

Hi all got a phone call today offering me a position in 3 different locations which we not on my list I refused all 3 - I was then offered my first choice so Happy Days - first batch of training on 10th Sept - second to commence 3 weeks later best of luck to ye all!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭shawmor

I'm in the 2cnd group:) starting 3 weeks after the first.

I'm in the 2cnd group:) starting 3 weeks after the first.

Good stuff. Did they tell you that by email?

• Advertisement

Good stuff. Did they tell you that by email?[/Quote]

No I was talking to them on the phone today. The first group should be getting their emails next week if they are to start in 3 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Irishdelboy

Do every officer a favor and dont bother going for the job, we have enough windy sh1ts like you in the office already!! You'll only do what your trained.. won't back up a colleague?? just hope none of the trustees/ office cleaners decide to take a run at you cause maybe then the jailer will decide not to back you up!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Do every officer a favor and dont bother going for the job, we have enough windy sh1ts like you in the office already!! You'll only do what your trained.. won't back up a colleague?? just hope none of the trustees/ office cleaners decide to take a run at you cause maybe then the jailer will decide not to back you up!!

Irishdelboy is new here and obviously does not know how we get on here, as colleagues or future colleagues.

Maybe a weekend off might give him time to think.

Banned 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

Turner wrote: »
    Irishdelboy is new here and obviously does not know how we get on here, as colleagues or future colleagues.

Maybe a weekend off might give him time to think.

Banned 3 days.
    As much as i dont agree with the launguage I have to say i do agreee with the sentiments fully , These new people seem to think that they will not be considered Prison officers they are and will be .Remember they have to join the POA union ie THE PRISON OFFICERS ASSOCIATION this should say it all . So they will be expected to take hassle the same as the rest of us they are NOT SPECIAL just do a different job in the Prison service ;);););)

What a lot of crap!!! Read the original application folks our duties are outlined clearly!!! I have clarified our duties with HR plus union representatives so relax all ye newbies!

• Advertisement

curtain12 wrote: »
    What a lot of crap!!! Read the original application folks our duties are outlined clearly!!! I have clarified our duties with HR plus union representatives so relax all ye newbies!
    hahahaha come back in a year after you have worked where your sent and tell us the same could bet you are mighty dissallusioned by then , the prison service is a completly different entity . We will see. ;););)

We choose to apply for positions in the IPS because we actually want to work there regardless!!!;););)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ned12

curtain12 wrote: »

please read the following from the circular regarding this new grade

"The PASO 3 is a new entry level grade in the Prison Service specifically intended to
    carry out the administrative, and support duties required for the operation of a modern
    and efficient service."

take note of the wording support duties this covers them to put you in more or less any post in a prison.
    Your function over time will be to do a very difficult job for alot less pay than current officers are on now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭cosbloodymick

A word of advice to all new PASO's starting with the IPS.
    Make sure you have confirmation in writing of your chosen Prison. Without that you will find you may be placed in a location that you do not want with no chance of transfer.

P.S. Say goodbye to the use of your mobile phone for 8hrs of the day.

A word of advice to all new PASO's starting with the IPS.
    Make sure you have confirmation in writing of your chosen Prison. Without that you will find you may be placed in a location that you do not want with no chance of transfer

I thought they would give us it in writing, when they called us for training?:confused: Thanks for the heads up!

cordub wrote: »
    As much as i dont agree with the launguage I have to say i do agreee with the sentiments fully , These new people seem to think that they will not be considered Prison officers they are and will be .Remember they have to join the POA union ie THE PRISON OFFICERS ASSOCIATION this should say it all . So they will be expected to take hassle the same as the rest of us they are NOT SPECIAL just do a different job in the Prison service ;);););)

Not all of us think that. I posted earlier on the thread thread that I expected to do more than what was stated. One persons comments/opinions doesn't represent all of us.

Thanks to all the PO's who have made comments on this thread, as it is this first hand information we need to be aware of:).

I thought they would give us it in writing, when they called us for training?:confused: Thanks for the heads up!

They should inform you in writing of your destined Prison when calling you for training but may not. I would advise getting everything in writing when dealing with IPS as they tend to move the goalposts to suit themselves.

They should inform you in writing of your destined Prison when calling you for training but may not. I would advise getting everything in writing when dealing with IPS as they tend to move the goalposts to suit themselves.

Thanks I will make sure I get it before I start training and make sure everything from now on is in writing!!;)

I requested written confirmation of my chosen prison and the girl who rang me assured me that there was no need, that I won't receive any further contact until I am called for training but I was assured of a place in the prison I chose.

V480 wrote: »
    I requested written confirmation of my chosen prison and the girl who rang me assured me that there was no need, that I won't receive any further contact until I am called for training but I was assured of a place in the prison I chose.
    As the lads said earlier in our experince of 20+ years dealing with the prison service the rules change depending on who you are AND THE GOAL POSTS most definatly change a lot,please be warned all. GET EVERYTHING in writing and also when you sign up to various things read the forms lots of us got caught to sign up to social clubs etc and never realised never read what we signed :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Well its up to yourself if you are prepared to accept a verbal assurance of choice of prison. However, ask yourself why they refuse to give you written confirmation of prison choice? My advice is to insist on written confirmation and if they still refuse ask your union to make representations for you on this matter. Better be safe than sorry.

You're missing the point. You are going to be working an extra four hours a week, that's why you are getting an extra 69€ in your pay packet. You are not getting paid a premium for evenings or Saturday work. You are basically just getting paid for working 4 extra hours, at the same hourly rate you are on now as a CO... i.e. €17.50

With the new PASO 3 grade, the max salary is just shy of €42,000 where as a conventional Prison Officer max basic salary with no over time included is just over €43,000 (and they have all the sh1te to deal with!!) €42,000 is an expensive yellow pack so!!

I think a lot of people, myself included are looking for a change from their present job, to try something new and different, and this gives us that opportunity. If it's not what we want, we get to rejoin the general civil service after a year.
    Nearly every point in the above statement is incorrect but most of these points have been corrected by other posters except for one point. The poster above thinks that they can rejoin the general civil service after a year while the circular may state this a Governor can refuse to release staff for a number of reasons.Therefore you could be waiting longer than a year to return to you old grade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

cordub wrote: »
    GET EVERYTHING in writing and also when you sign up to various things read the forms lots of us got caught to sign up to social clubs etc and never realised never read what we signed :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

+ 1

Same advice has been given out to people joining various organisations - between union dues , sports and social , widows and orphans , this charity , that charity , christmas fund , etc and so on and so forth the various deductions can amount to fair chunk of change.

As someone once said to me - '' in the first 2 weeks lots of people will come in to speak to you , the one thing they have in common is the desire to separate you from your money ''.

Delancey wrote: »
    + 1

Same advice has been given out to people joining various organisations - between union dues , sports and social , widows and orphans , this charity , that charity , christmas fund , etc and so on and so forth the various deductions can amount to fair chunk of change.

As someone once said to me - '' in the first 2 weeks lots of people will come in to speak to you , the one thing they have in common is the desire to separate you from your money ''.

Thanks for making us aware of this:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭shooter57

I'm thinking about applying for this myself . I had thought about it briefly before , but I stumbled on this thread and found myself reading the protocol. I'm seriously looking into it .

Can any females who work in this sector give me any feedback . good or bad ? sorry males too please :)

Well its up to yourself if you are prepared to accept a verbal assurance of choice of prison. However, ask yourself why they refuse to give you written confirmation of prison choice? My advice is to insist on written confirmation and if they still refuse ask your union to make representations for you on this matter. Better be safe than sorry.

Thanks for the advice. The girl on the phone said that they are still waiting for all the medical/security checks to come back so presumably that would be their reason for not sending out written confirmation just yet. I would go to my union but I don't have one!

Thanks for the advice. The girl on the phone said that they are still waiting for all the medical/security checks to come back so presumably that would be their reason for not sending out written confirmation just yet. I would go to my union but I don't have one!

you should contact the poa since they will be your new union

shooter57 wrote: »
    I'm thinking about applying for this myself . I had thought about it briefly before , but I stumbled on this thread and found myself reading the protocol. I'm seriously looking into it .

Can any females who work in this sector give me any feedback . good or bad ? sorry males too please :)
    A quick summary for you some days are ok some are stressful some are boring and the odd time something happens that any rate of pay would not compensate for.:o

Remember if your a female and have kiddies that getting jobsharing coild be hard enough, there will also be no Flexi hours and the 8 to 7 pm days and saturdays might be hard to find a babysitter ,The job for a female is no harder for a woman than a man same ol boring routine day to day stuff to deal with . Not a lot of training for you would be needed after all the staff you will be replacing would have started in the offce with absolutly no training and with only spell check to help them spell . so that says it all too many brain cells are not required believe me :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Pro's. Increase in remuneration due to extra hours being worked.
    Possibility of attaining a position in a prison near where you
    would like to live.

Con's. Requirement to work some unsocial hours (evenings+Saturdays)
    with no extra payment for same.
    Loss of flexitime.
    Having to undergo a search every time you enter the Prison.
    The inconvenience of not having access to your mobile phone.
    No internet access.
    You will have a small degree of contact with offenders. This is
    unlikely to impact on you outside the job but it is something you
    will have to be aware of.
    If you are unfortunate enough to fall ill you will be hassled and
    intimidated by IPS.
    Possible hostility from existing Prison staff (there are idiots
    everywhere).
    You will be working under a lot of pressure some of the time.
    If you make a mistake with regard to the custody of offenders you may find
    yourself in front of a judge.
    You will be represented by the POA who have just shafted the
    existing Clerical Grades.
    In the future your job may "evolve" into areas that are not in the job description at present

Advertisement