Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crime Writers

Options
  • 23-06-2012 8:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭

Only recently introduced to this genre. Do you read any crime / thriller books? Having read books by the following: Val McDermid / Jo Nesbo / Michael Connelly / John Connelly etc. Am always suitably disturbed by their story - creeps me out

What makes them write this stuff? Are they talented, or are they physcos?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I'm a big fan of Lee Child novels. Have read them all. One of them will actually be made in to a movie starring Tom Cruise later this year or early next. Really not expecting it to do the book it is based on justice.

As for why the writers do it, because they want to, they can, and they make a living out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,459 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Lee Child, had forgotten about him.

Which book is being made into a film?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,436 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

John Connolly is very good.
    You should check out the Alex Cross novels by James Patterson. They're really good and a few have been turned into movies with Morgan Freeman in the lead role.

One Shot*. So, not his best work in my opinion by a good way. Not his worst though. His worst, IMO would be The Visitor. Not bad, just the weakest he has done.

Other than Lee Child, the Dexter novels are great. The first novel is similar to the first season of the show, but is different enough one must read it if they intend to go on with the others. And it definitely is worth going on reading the others. Very different than the show itself. The show itself is great. Just read the books too.

Edit: It is being released as Jack Reacher not One Shot it seems - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0790724/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

The Bible is a good read.

I don't know who it's by though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

Dean09 wrote: »
    You should check out the Alex Cross novels by James Patterson. They're really good and a few have been turned into movies with Morgan Freeman in the lead role.

Compared to John Connolly I find Cross' books very wishy washy, ditto Patterson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

A lot of crime is by the numbers stuff that doesn't appeal to me. Patterson and Grisham and the like.
    James Ellroy is the best crime writer i've read. Just fantastic.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    One Shot.

Other than Lee Child, the Dexter novels are great. The first novel is similar to the first season of the show, but is different enough one must read it if they intend to go on with the others. And it definitely is worth going on reading the others. Very different than the show itself.

Spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,459 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

One Shot. So, not his best work in my opinion by a good way. Not his worst though. His worst, IMO would be The Visitor. Not bad, just the weakest he has done.

Other than Lee Child, the Dexter novels are great. The first novel is similar to the first season of the show, but is different enough one must read it if they intend to go on with the others. And it definitely is worth going on reading the others. Very different than the show itself.

Read 61 hours enjoyed it, but was disappointed by the end of it.

Shryke wrote: »
    A lot of crime is by the numbers stuff that doesn't appeal to me. Patterson and Grisham and the like.
    James Ellroy is the best crime writer i've read. Just fantastic.

Ta, will check out Ellroy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Not into the fiction and read one book from Lee Child and thought it was very far fetched and predictable. Storyline wasn't great either, but being on long cross Asia bus journeys I had no choice :)

I'm more into the likes of Master Detective, True Crime, Murder most foul etc. They are horrible stories sometimes, well I suppose always but very interesting at the same time. Don't read them too much but if i'm getting on a plane that would be a good choice for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

Try some PD James.

James has a unique experience in the Home Office and a generally sharp eye so the focus on detail in the books is fairly good

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭babyfratelli_x

I love Crime novels, Michael Connelly being my favourite author, but I also read a lot of John Grisham. Karen Rose and Karin Slaughter are alright aswell. And I really enjoyed the Millenium Trilogy by Steig Larsson.

Must read some Lee Child books this summer.

Linwood Barclay is a fantastic writer, I would highly recommend his work to anyone - not gorey, but he will fcuk with your head

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

A serious literature conversation in AH ?

I love Crime novels, Michael Connelly being my favourite author, but I also read a lot of John Grisham. Karen Rose and Karin Slaughter are alright aswell. And I really enjoyed the Millenium Trilogy by Steig Larsson.

Must read some Lee Child books this summer.

Baby, you gotta get your Val McDermid hat on, from reading your post, you'd like her, am Karin Slaughter fan too

mattjack wrote: »
    A serious literature conversation in AH ?

books being discussed ain't no serious literature!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Pantsface wrote: »
    One Shot.

Spot on
    Couldnt warm to dexter at all....one of the few books i left half way tru and didnt finish. Its ironic that Childs Jack Reacher is going to be played by cruise....Reacher is noted in the novels as being very tall (6'7"?) while Cruise ......isnt!!
    John connolly is excellent, im not usually into supernatural type stuff but he is excellent, especially the Charlie Parker stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

All of the above are fiction writers. When you read one of their novels you always know in the back of your head that it's just made up. True crime books are the best to read and Ann Rule is the best writer of true crime.

Read 61 hours enjoyed it, but was disappointed by the end of it.
    My favourites by him would be Killing Floor, Echo Burning, Tripwire and The Enemy. Might be others, but I'd have to re-read them to give a definite on that, and don't want to be listing every one of his books, anyway. You can get excerpts from all his novels here. The Affair is the last one that has been released at the moment, with A Wanted Man next. The Affair wasn't written in a very Hollywoodized feel, but a couple of the ones preceeding it certainly do in comparison to how his novels were when he started out. That isn't to say they're bad, still find the plot of them entertaining and entertain me enough that I buy the new one fairly sharpish when it is released.

• Advertisement

Couldnt warm to dexter at all....one of the few books i left half way tru and didnt finish. Its ironic that Childs Jack Reacher is going to be played by cruise....Reacher is noted in the novels as being very tall (6'7"?) while Cruise ......cant.!!
    John connolly is excellent, im not usually into supernatural type stuff but he is excellent, especially the Charlie Parker stuff

Charlie Parker is best character ever - love him. Glad I haven't come across him on screen yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,436 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Dean09 wrote: »

Compared to John Connolly I find Cross' books very wishy washy, ditto Patterson
    I agree, the standard of writing just isn't as good but they're good stories so worth a read in my opinion.
    Can't beat Connolly though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

James Ellroy - "American Tabloid".

Absolutely fantastic !!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I read Michael Connolly quite often, the Harry Bosch series mostly.

I also enjoy Legal thrillers from the likes of John Grisham.

I read Michael Connolly quite often, the Harry Bosch series mostly.

I also enjoy Legal thrillers from the likes of John Grisham.

John Grisham was my first introduction to the genre, and as I discover more and more writers, I have ended up avoiding him. John Connolly is your only man for proper scary fooked up crime books, I think he'd be my favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

John Grisham was my first introduction to the genre, and as I discover more and more writers, I have ended up avoiding him. John Connolly is your only man for proper scary fooked up crime books, I think he'd be my favourite

I've heard he's excellent alright. What would you recommend as a good book to start with?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Heckler

My favourites by him would be Killing Floor, Echo Burning, Tripwire and The Enemy. Might be others, but I'd have to re-read them to give a definite on that, and don't want to be listing every one of his books, anyway. You can get excerpts from all his novels here. The Affair is the last one that has been released at the moment, with A Wanted Man next. The Affair wasn't written in a very Hollywoodized feel, but a couple of the ones preceeding it certainly do in comparison to how his novels were when he started out. That isn't to say they're bad, still find the plot of them entertaining and entertain me enough that I buy the new one fairly sharpish when it is released.

Reacher books are great in general but the last 3 or so were pretty ****e. The Affair in particular was crap. Even got nominated for a worst sex scene in a book. Earlier ones were the best, Killing Floor etc.

Tom Cruise playing Reacher is going to be a stretch. Gonna be like a mission impossible film i reckon.

John Connellys Charlie Parker novels are fantastic.

Heckler wrote: »
    Reacher books are great in general but the last 3 or so were pretty ****e. The Affair in particular was crap. Even got nominated for a worst sex scene in a book. Earlier ones were the best, Killing Floor etc.

Tom Cruise playing Reacher is going to be a stretch. Gonna be like a mission impossible film i reckon.

John Connellys Charlie Parker novels are fantastic.

they really are

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Raymond Chandler is great craic altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Heckler

[/B]

they really are

New one The Wrath of Angels coming in August. Really like the Louis and Angel characters as well. Hope they feature in this one.

Advertisement