Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crime Writers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Pantsface wrote: »
    John Grisham was my first introduction to the genre, and as I discover more and more writers, I have ended up avoiding him. John Connolly is your only man for proper scary fooked up crime books, I think he'd be my favourite

I've heard he's excellent alright. What would you recommend as a good book to start with?
    I read The Reapers first and thought that was very good.
    Also if you check out Michael Connelly, have a look at The Scarecrow. Loved that book.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

I've heard he's excellent alright. What would you recommend as a good book to start with?

Every Dead Thing - first in the Charlie Parker series. I only wish I knew this before reading his work. You're in for such a treat, I'm so jealous.

Dean09 wrote: »
    I read The Reapers first and thought that was very good.
    Also if you check out Michael Connelly, have a look at The Scarecrow. Loved that book.

hallaa!

loved the scarecrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

James Lee Burke is head and shoulders above most crime writers IMHO.

Heckler wrote: »
    New one The Wrath of Angels coming in August. Really like the Louis and Angel characters as well. Hope they feature in this one.

ahhh Louis and Angel are my favourite reoccuring characters in any series good call

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

A big +1 for James Ellroy.

And Thomas Harris, who wrote the Hannibal Lecter novels (Red Dragon, Silence of the Lambs, etc) - excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Heckler

thomasm wrote: »

Robicheaux is a fantastic character and Cletus Purcel isn't far behind. Outstanding books.

Denis Lehanes books with Patrick Kenzie and Bubba Rogowski are up there as well.

Robicheaux is a fantastic character and Cletus Purcel isn't far behind. Outstanding books.

Denis Lehanes books with Patrick Kenzie and Bubba Rogowski are up there as well.

Must look out for the Kenzie and Rogowski books, not heard of them before

Must look out for the Kenzie and Rogowski books, not heard of them before

Read them in order for best effect. You might have seen the movies Mystic River and Gone Baby Gone.

• Advertisement

Read them in order for best effect. You might have seen the movies Mystic River and Gone Baby Gone.

Not read the book, but thought affleck did a decent movie out of it - his follow up, The Town, was proof he isn't a one stop wonder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Michael Connolly - Excellent

Linwood Barclay - Exceptional Writer

Karin Slaughter - Excellent but read her novels in the correct order for maximum enjoyment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Need to finish reading all the crime books I got during my last crime kick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Excellent thread got some good additions for my library list.
    Thanks all

I loved Patricia Cornwells Kay Scarpetta book, was so disappointed when they finished, Southern Cross and the following were so crap. I was disgusted.

Lisha wrote: »
    Excellent thread got some good additions for my library list.
    Thanks all

I loved Patricia Cornwells Kay Scarpetta book, was so disappointed when they finished, Southern Creoss and the following were so crap. I was disgusted.

Honestly, Patricia Cornwall is like the yellow pack of crime writers, don't mean that in a bad way, have read her & enjoyed the books, then i discovered the likes of John Connolly, never looked back!

Honestly, Patricia Cornwall is like the yellow pack of crime writers, don't mean that in a bad way, have read her & enjoyed the books, then i discovered the likes of John Connolly, never looked back!

In my defence it was in my early 20s, they did have a formula-feel to them alright.
    John Connolly is excelent, I like both Kellermans, Karin Slaughter, I read Jodi Compton's Haileys WAr last week it was very good
    I must try Linwood Barclay, and get the scarecrow book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Lalaloca

I love the Ian Rankin Rebus books. The Dalziel and Pascoe recent books are an enjoyable read. I have read everything from PD James to Mo Hayder and once the book romps along at a reasonable pace without glaringly stupid plot twists you can have a lovely read. Far better than facing bleak house of an evening

Lalaloca wrote: »
    I love the Ian Rankin Rebus books. The Dalziel and Pascoe recent books are an enjoyable read. I have read everything from PD James to Mo Hayder and once the book romps along at a reasonable pace without glaringly stupid plot twists you can have a lovely read. Far better than facing bleak house of an evening

Have you read Pig Island?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

Really like Ian Rankin Rebus series, not so keen on new Complaints books with Malcolm Fox. Also like both Kellerman writers. Loved Bosch books by Michael Connolly except for that one set in Hong Kong. Reacher (Lee Child) are usually readable, have to suspend disbelief a little!

Don't like John Connolly at all.

Pugins wrote: »
    Really like Ian Rankin Rebus series, not so keen on new Complaints books with Malcolm Fox. Also like both Kellerman writers. Loved Bosch books by Michael Connolly except for that one set in Hong Kong. Reacher (Lee Child) are usually readable, have to suspend disbelief a little!

What !!!????!!!!

• Advertisement

No love for John Connelly ?

:eek:

HOW many of his books have you read?

good call

Kudos to an irish writer skipping all the obvious oirish ****e and writing some of the most hard-boiled mystery novels of the past 20 years.

they are like the coronation street of books, predicatable, dull, flashy & trashy - sorry! :o

they are like the coronation street of books, predicatable, dull, flashy & trashy - sorry! :o

Sometimes it is good just to be entertained, I also find them comforting in a weird way .........like comfy slippers

Agree with you on that one. First couple were ok 20 years ago same old stuff al the time.

good call

Kudos to an irish writer skipping all the obvious oirish ****e and writing some of the most hard-boiled mystery novels of the past 20 years.

He is streets ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Have you read Pig Island?

Was just about to post this :D

I really enjoyed Pig Farm

The treatment
    The devil of Nanking
    Tokyo
    Gone
    are all good but I have read all Mo Hayder and have not been disappointed.

Also liked "The Body Farm" Patricia Cornwell, others in the Kay Scarpeta went downhill

Forgot about Mo Hayder. Wow her first book Birdman was a killer. Such a creepy story and a great character in DI Jack Caffery. Followup books were good too.

Mark Billinghams Tom Thorne novels are really good too. Can be a bit grim but thats what the brits do best i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭merengueca

I love Christopher Brookmyre, crime with intelligence and wit.

My favourite has to be Sacred Art of Stealing, but not read one I didn't like.

+1 on PD James as well

Advertisement