Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crime Writers

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

I love Harlan Cobens stuff, anyone read anything of this?

Also there's an Irish writer Alex Barclay who I thought was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭smilerxxx

Just added john Connelly to my must read list. I have to recommend Mark Gimenez, I stumbled on one of his books and I loved it. I'm just waiting on the last one of his I haven't read to come back in at the library. The colour of law is the first one.
    He's a john grisham lawyer type but I prefer him.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭DFD

I love John Connolly, can't wait for his new book. Working my way through Michael Connolly in the meantime, Harry Bosch is brilliant.
    Karen Rose's books aren't bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vepyewwo

I would definitely recommend Jo Nesbo, a Norwegian author. He seems to always be compared with Stieg Larsson but he is a much better writer and his Harry Hole series are some of the best crime fiction books I've read for ages, real pages turners and an interesting central character.

One of the books in the series- The Snowman- is being made into a film directed by Martin Scorsese.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Pantsface wrote: »
    Only recently introduced to this genre. Do you read any crime / thriller books? Having read books by the following: Val McDermid / Jo Nesbo / Michael Connelly / John Connelly etc. Am always suitably disturbed by their story - creeps me out

What makes them write this stuff? Are they talented, or are they physcos?
    Pugins wrote:
    Don't like John Connolly at all.

Of the list of writers have only read Connolly & Connelly. What John Connolly writes seems closer to fantasy-horror with crime/investigation backdrop - we have very ott serial killers, other crazy characters of all sorts and several supernatural elements not normally present in crime fiction afair.

Maybe the question is more appropraite for that sort of thing than more realistic crime fiction without the elements in John Connolly books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

AH -> Books discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DFX2011

a must read for me is stuart macbride.. really addictive and dark humour..start off with cold granite and you will be hooked...

stephen leather is another addictive author especially the dan shepherd series

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Lector

If you're talking about Irish crime writers who avoid Oirishness, then you have to include the likes of Ken Bruen, Declan Hughes and Stuart Neville. And for humour in your crime, Colin Bateman is pretty good, especially his No Alibi books

Advertisement