Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mbuna chiclids in 25 gallon tank?

Options
  • 23-06-2012 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

i picked up a free 25 gallon tank two weeks ago.it will be tank number 4!!!
    i was originally thinking of putting a tiger oscar in it until i realised it wouldnt be big enough for a single oscar.
    im now wondering would it be big enough for a mbuna setup?
    basically looking for a very colourful tank.
    any recommendations on what chiclids do well together in this size tank?
    i will be get plenty of rocks and an external cannister filter if i go a head with it,just looking for advise first please as i have never kept chiclids before

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

A 110l tank would be small enough for that kind of set up

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Two kribensis or rams I think would be suitable, you could add some cardinal tetras or something then as well as background fish.

Kribensis are great fish, very colourful.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Denise90

Most mbuna need to be put in a harem (dominant male to a number of females) and can grow anywhere from 6 inches to 12 inches so I don't think a 25 gal would be large enough, even for the dwarf mbuna, like demasoni. Also they need swim space and rock hides.

However you're good to go on most dwarf cichlids if you want to stay away from normal community tanks. As said, rams, kribs, any of the apistogramma family (also very colourful)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭kingerae86

thats that idea out the window so,
    ill have to re think on what to put in it now

Advertisement