Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to live in cork city

Options
  • 23-06-2012 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

Right so after a long 12 years in Dublin I have eventually agreed to move to Cork where the OH is from, he is from Mahon

I have no idea about Cork as in the suburbs and where is nice not so nice etc and tbh he is a bit clueless as well having lived up here for so long

When we get down he has a job waiting for him but its only part time at the minute so we will be looking to transfer our rent allowance so rental money is tight and restricted

We also have a toddler so living near amenities is vital for me

So what I am looking for is where is a nice enough place to live in Cork, not looking to live in Rochestown but would rather not live in knocnnaheeney either, any suggestions??

Also is there any playgrounds in the city as I have never seen a inner city park with one, like stephens green up here and my little one loves going to the park and playing on the swings

thats the first question

the second is this

I would love if we dont go to the city (he can travel with the job) to live by the sea, where in cork is a nice seaside town to live, it must have a train station and supermarket and primary schools....any ideas??

thanks in advance, its a big move for us and just want to get it right

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Best of luck Edellc, Im not much help when it comes to the city but you consider near Mahon to be near family maybe? baby sitting help is priceless IMHO. Some area s of Glanmire (near Mahon) are nice.
    Cobh is the only seaside I can think of with a train station. Midleton/Glounthane hav etrain stations too, Midleton is near sea but Ive no clue what it is like. Cobh is pretty.
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭omerin

edellc wrote: »
    Right so after a long 12 years in Dublin I have eventually agreed to move to Cork where the OH is from, he is from Mahon

I have no idea about Cork as in the suburbs and where is nice not so nice etc and tbh he is a bit clueless as well having lived up here for so long

When we get down he has a job waiting for him but its only part time at the minute so we will be looking to transfer our rent allowance so rental money is tight and restricted

We also have a toddler so living near amenities is vital for me

So what I am looking for is where is a nice enough place to live in Cork, not looking to live in Rochestown but would rather not live in knocnnaheeney either, any suggestions??

Also is there any playgrounds in the city as I have never seen a inner city park with one, like stephens green up here and my little one loves going to the park and playing on the swings

thats the first question

the second is this

I would love if we dont go to the city (he can travel with the job) to live by the sea, where in cork is a nice seaside town to live, it must have a train station and supermarket and primary schools....any ideas??

thanks in advance, its a big move for us and just want to get it right

not much difference tbh, why not slum it? :rolleyes:

and as for clueless, you can add ignorant aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭starch4ser

Stay away from Mahon anyway. They don't call it "Viet Mahon" for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

omerin wrote: »
    not much difference tbh, why not slum it? :rolleyes:

and as for clueless, you can add ignorant aswell

No need to be like that, OH has distant relatives from Knocknaheeny and they are knackers, I visited the place one and it was as bad as Tallaght here and there seems to be a bit of a war going on at the moment between two families or havent you read the news :rolleyes: Also he didnt grow up in Mahon as such just lived there the longest in his teenage years, none of his family live there anymore, If you think Im being ignorant then tell me why knocknaheeny its a good place to live instead of insulting and being unhelpful which if your from Knocknaheeney proves my point :p

Thanks Lisha, unfortunately his family no longer live in Mahon anymore they moved out the country, near charleville - well a 40min drive away and where they are there is no transport, you only get phone signal if you stand on one leg touching your nose hehehe you get he picture and there is no bus service and we dont drive at the minute, just no need as we live city centre in Dublin so never a necessity until now....so we really dont want to live that far out and it would be a nightmare for his job - the other lad is willing to collect him but I think that would be a bit of a big ask and if we where on a train or bus even then at least he could get into the city to be collected

Do you know of any coastal towns that have nice beaches that are severed by a bus route either or how do I go about finding out about them??

thanks starch4ser yeah we have no plans on moving to Mahon as OH says it rough as sandpaper and best avoided so I can only take his word on it tbh, we are just in the process of looking at the minute and wanted to see if any of you boardies had any good ideas or could help out with where you live or where friends of yours live that is nice and safe and not over run with drugs and knackers

IF OH is going to be dependant on bus links from seaside towns then I would look at bus eireann website and find seaside towns that way. Check time table for bus services to ensure there is an early enough bus to suit work.
    Id google towns then to get a feel for them. Do same on rail website.
    That is all I can suggest. HTH

TBH if it was me I would be looking at living more central (as close to work, worklift as possible ) as you are not driving at the mo and use the bus links to get to the sea when you want.

Good luck,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Douglas - Grange - Frankfield.
    Bishopstown.
    Ballinlough.
    Blackrock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Confused a bit on this... Do you want to live in the city, or in the countryside by the sea? Cork is pretty big, you need to be specific.

There are loads of playgrounds. Cork is very well served by them. there are lists on the cork county council website, and also plenty in parks around.

You say not rochestown, mahon, or knocknaheeny. Mahon and knocknaheeny you say are too rough, why not rochestown? Too hilly? Too expensive?

Only towns east of cork have train stations, so you are limiting yourself hugely with this. Why is the train required?

What side of the city is work? You really will want to live on the same side, to avoid wasting your lives stuck in traffic. Dunkettle interchange is due to turn into a snarling mess next year when the N25 upgrade work is finished.

pwurple wrote: »
    Confused a bit on this... Do you want to live in the city, or in the countryside by the sea? Cork is pretty big, you need to be specific.

There are loads of playgrounds. Cork is very well served by them. there are lists on the cork county council website, and also plenty in parks around.

What side of the city is work? You really will want to live on the same side, to avoid wasting your lives stuck

I agree with Pwurple, Cork is vry big, I know you looked for location advice here but TBF, only you can choose your location.

As you are renting would you consider choosing some where just based on work and affordability and then when you are settled make a more permanent decision regarding where you would like to live. I would get On Daft or some thing else like that and start looking in areas that just suit work??

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

going from what you have said,midleton if you weigh up pros and cons of what you said,would by far be the overwhelming choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Midleton would be best, but where in the city is your OH going to be working? Do you have transport?

If you go to Midleton, then Garryvoe beach isn't far, but isn't served by public transport. It's a lovely beach though and you can walk for miles when the tide's out. There's also a small children's playground there as well.

If you need to be in the city, then I would keep away from Mahon too. I personally don't think it's nice there. Blackrock would be a better bet if you want to be in the South/West of the city.

If you know the North, then Ballyvolane or Dillons Cross isn't bad. There's a decent shopping centre there, close to town (207 gets you there in 10 mins or less). If you want to go a little further afield, then there's Blackpool which has a bigger shopping centre.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more info...

• Advertisement

Tallaght is huge and most of it is fine. You seem extremely stuck up and narrow minded OP. Not many landlords with property in seaside towns will be taking RA either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Glanmire - upper at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

OP, Mahon and knocknaheeny are fine in certain areas so quit being so stuck up. Besides the better areas willl not accept RA, why would they as there would o lot of professionals to rent in these places, so lose that chip on your shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

What about Youghal? It has a lovely beach and is only 30 minutes on the bus from the city centre. Kinsale is absolutely gorgeous, and also only about 30 minutes from the city.

As for inner city, how about Ballyphehane? It has almost everything, primary/secondary schools including a Gaelscoil, a PLC college, various shops and a supermarket, a park/playground, a gym etc. Its also only about a 15 minute walk from the city centre.

Best of luck with the move :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Ballintemple, Ballinlough, Ballyvolane. Avoid St Luke's by the way It's not a place where your kid's can go out to play, Nothing but concrete and junkie's.

RoverJames wrote: »
    Tallaght is huge and most of it is fine. You seem extremely stuck up and narrow minded OP. Not many landlords with property in seaside towns will be taking RA either.

I know Tallagh is huge and yes there is a lot of it fine but there is also a hell of a lot of it not fine, read the papers watch the news there is lots of drug problems and killings.

I get that your from Tallaght so your instinct is to defend and thats fine I grew up not too far away from it in a council estate and am far from stuck up, but I know what its like to grow up in an area ravaged with drugs and other problems and even though the area has quietened down now, the former is not what I want my child growing up in if I can help it so get over yourself with your view of Tallaght take off the rose tinted glasses as it is what it is as per the media and that is all people can make a judgement on...It wouldnt be in the media if the people who lived there kept their noses clean either and yes not every one is scummy but there is a lot about tallaght in the news

votecounts wrote: »
    OP, Mahon and knocknaheeny are fine in certain areas so quit being so stuck up. Besides the better areas willl not accept RA, why would they as there would o lot of professionals to rent in these places, so lose that chip on your shoulder.

i dont have a chip on my shoulder I can only go by what I was told by my OH who spent 9years in Mahon and has relatives living in Knocknaheeney who he avoids, I think its you my friend that has the chip as I said that I would prefer not to live there and obviously you come from there and are defending your area I get that but again get over yourself, I am asking for an honest option of where is a decent enough place to live in Cork not to be insulted for saying what I have heard about a place and if its wrong so be it correct me but no need to be insulting

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    What about Youghal? It has a lovely beach and is only 30 minutes on the bus from the city centre. Kinsale is absolutely gorgeous, and also only about 30 minutes from the city.

As for inner city, how about Ballyphehane? It has almost everything, primary/secondary schools including a Gaelscoil, a PLC college, various shops and a supermarket, a park/playground, a gym etc. Its also only about a 15 minute walk from the city centre.

Best of luck with the move :)

thanks WhiteRoses will look into that was thinking Kinsale too its so pretty

We are not sure about the city or somewhere else, his work isnt too much of an issue as he works late into the night (very late) so he is likely to kip on someone couch rather than try get home so we can really live anywhere

I am just surprised by the lack of train service tbh, maybe just used to having numerous bus routes, the dart and the luas here and having the train to every part of the country, and I just presumed that Cork being the next big City and being a big county would have a good transport network which didnt require a car....We have never needed one up here, tbh no one up here needs one public transport is so good so there really is no need for the gridlock that is incurred and I really dont like adding to the pollution if I dont need to

thanks for all the good advice have made a note of all the places you good people have suggested and will be getting on daft to have a look and see what is there, not moving for another few months just trying to get ahead of the game and need to look into schools and playgroups too as its a big move and once he is in school we will be staying until he finishes primary so its huge

for the record I was not insulting any area of your city, just going by what I was told by my OH and his family who are from Cork and no better people to tell you what a city is like but the people who live and come from there, so I dont have a chip nor was I being ignorant just relaying the info that I was given by one of your own

I know Tallagh is huge and yes there is a lot of it fine but there is also a hell of a lot of it not fine, read the papers watch the news there is lots of drug problems and killings.

I get that your from Tallaght so your instinct is to defend and thats fine I grew up not too far away from it in a council estate and am far from stuck up, but I know what its like to grow up in an area ravaged with drugs and other problems and even though the area has quietened down now, the former is not what I want my child growing up in if I can help it so get over yourself with your view of Tallaght take off the rose tinted glasses as it is what it is as per the media and that is all people can make a judgement on...It wouldnt be in the media if the people who lived there kept their noses clean either and yes not every one is scummy but there is a lot about tallaght in the news
    thanks for all the good advice have made a note of all the places you good people have suggested and will be getting on daft to have a look and see what is there, not moving for another few months just trying to get ahead of the game and need to look into schools and playgroups too as its a big move and once he is in school we will be staying until he finishes primary so its huge

for the record I was not insulting any area of your city, just going by what I was told by my OH and his family who are from Cork and no better people to tell you what a city is like but the people who live and come from there, so I dont have a chip nor was I being ignorant just relaying the info that I was given by one of your own

You get that I'm from tallaght? I'm from cork ;) your OH and his family also seen incredibly narrow minded.
    You want to move to Kinsale on rent allowance? BEst of luck with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 chubchub

Buses travel on the hour to cork from charleville. There is also a train service from the town. I think not should look into facts a bit better.

RoverJames

i was going to write a reply but deleted it because your not worth it

most people who find themselves on RA these days are not on through their own fault,we are moving from Dublin as there is no work here not in my OH field anyway and there is in Cork/Kerry so its you that is being judgemental and nasty , maybe its you that needs to educate yourself and stop being so ignorant

RoverJames

i was going to write a reply but deleted it because your not worth it

most people who find themselves on RA these days are not on through their own fault,we are moving from Dublin as there is no work here not in my OH field anyway and there is in Cork/Kerry so its you that is being judgemental and nasty , maybe its you that needs to educate yourself and stop being so ignorant

Ignorant? Kinsale is a highly sought after residential address, not much down there for folks on RA, that's fact, nothing at all to do with me being nasty.

If you find residential property in Kinsale where the landlord is accepting RA the place will be a kip :)

RoverJames wrote: »
    Ignorant? Kinsale is a highly sought after residential address, not much down there for folks on RA, that's fact, nothing at all to do with me being nasty.

If you find residential property in Kinsale where the landlord is accepting RA the place will be a kip :)

Not to mention an atrocious road to get there, Slow bus and it's a very clannish overpriced place, Fine for a day trip but not to live there.

Rover James why have yo dragged the thread into a slagging one, you are the one that called my ignorant for just repeating what I was told by a cork person, I asked for people options as to where decent places where to live in cork and you have been insulting and rude

I have now put you on my ignore list so I dont have to read any more of your threads

also your ignorance is nothing to do with kinsale its due to your prior comments and if you cant read and remember your own insults...enough said :rolleyes:

you have totally dragged this off thread :mad:

You should have a good look around on Google Earth and Streetview as Cork is stuffed with little streets and cul de sac's that you would never notice while driving around.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

starch4ser wrote: »
    Stay away from Mahon anyway. They don't call it "Viet Mahon" for nothing.

Nothing wrong with Mahon. No Worse or Better than any other area in Cork really.

As for the OP might I suggest Youghal or Midleton in East Cork.
    Best thing to do is to come down for a while and look around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Xantia wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with Mahon. No Worse or Better than any other area in Cork really.

I have to disagree with you about Mahon, some parts are as bad as you will find anywhere in the country not just Cork, in fairness it's not all of Mahon, there are some nice spots down there.

Youghal and Middleton would be handy places where the op might find landlords that accept rent allowance more widespread.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

Xantia wrote: »

Midleton wound be far more suitable than Youghal as OP has no car. Midleton is on a direct rail line to Cork, as is Cobh, Carrigtwohill, etc. As Midleton (and Cobh) is the terminus, you're pretty sure to get on no matter how busy it is.

Youghal is only accessible via bus, and unfortunately the route can be very busy at peak times. We're the next stop beyond Youghal and it often passes through here full, unable to take further passengers. You wouldn't want to be relying on it to get to/from work if you're travelling at busy times, though its usually fine off-peak.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

OP, there is a good transport network, but it is mainly bus based... Not train.

You will find plenty of places that take RA in the inner city itself, where you can walk everywhere. There are playgrounds in fitzgeralds park, library for the kids.

If you want the burbs, I'd say bishopstown or ballintemple would be next best bet. Maybe togher. Buses are very frequent. I don't know how many children you have... Is a child seat on a bicycle an option for you? Plenty of primary schools in those.

If you want village outside the city, then cobh, midleton and carrigtwohill are probably what you are looking for. I like carrigtwohill. Modern train station, good schools and a very nice playground there. Small town though. There are parts of kinsale that take RA, but they are fairly far up the hills, and not really small child appropriate I think. Also, it is a tourist town, full of tour buses and drinking parties.

Advertisement