Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to live in cork city

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

edellc wrote: »
    i dont have a chip on my shoulder I can only go by what I was told by my OH who spent 9years in Mahon and has relatives living in Knocknaheeney who he avoids, I think its you my friend that has the chip as I said that I would prefer not to live there and obviously you come from there and are defending your area I get that but again get over yourself, I am asking for an honest option of where is a decent enough place to live in Cork not to be insulted for saying what I have heard about a place and if its wrong so be it correct me but no need to be insulting
    I actually lived in bishopstown but anyway thats irrelevant. I think a lot of people will feel that you want to live in a fancy area and get the tax payer to pick up the bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

No that is not what I want, and tbh I really dont care what you or anyone else thinks, I have worked and paid taxes for 20years and have been unemployed for the last year where I have needed assistance from the state, so what big deal there are plenty that make a career out of that, we are moving to cork as it has a better job prospect for my OH who can work with family and it is cheaper than living in Dublin, my job I can work anywhere but there are too few jobs here and too many people looking for them, so less competition in a smaller city like cork

I dont think it is fair to assume that I want to live in a well to do area at all, I just want to live somewhere that is not Ballymun in Cork as obviously being a mother you want to protect you children and I would rather them not be exposed to a harsh environment if I can help it, just because I am in need of state help for the last year shouldn't mean that I have to move to the roughest of estates and I hope you never find yourself unemployed and in need of state help and with the kind of ignorance and prejudice I have found from a number people on this thread

however this is not a thread about state benefits if you want that you know where to go, the thread is WHERE TO LIVE IN CORK CITY or is it that you you just cant get that

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

St Luke's is short of playparks (very little flat ground :-) ) but is actually a great area to live in. There are lots of families around, the area is reasonably affluent but there is plenty of rental accommodation because most buildings are very substantial. And you won't need a car at all - everything is walking distance. Train and bus station are only a short walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

I know of a ground floor flat that is going to be unoccupied shortly, the landlord will take RA
    I have no connection whatsoever with him, I just know about it and how to contact him.
    It is on the Skehard Road area.
    Would you be interested?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

op i think you should look in the douglas area, on Daft alot of them say no rent allowance but if you explain its only until you both find work most will take it briefly.

In douglas you have

Schools:

A Gael scoil, St columbas, St lukes, Eglintine primary schools,

Regina Mundi, Douglas Community, Christ the king, and city centre secondary schools available to you.

UCC and CIT would be the two main colleges

Buses:

The number 206 runs every 20ish minutes through douglas village to town and back to grange again. (it was every 10 minutes i think that changed)

The number 207 Donnybrook - Douglas Village - City center every 20minutes

The number 219 (south side orbital) takes you from south west to south east, Wilton/CIT to Douglas village to mahon point shopping center (arguably best/nicest shopping center in cork with shops such as debinhams, oasis, river island, monsoon, easons, omniplex...etc)

The carrigaline bus also passes through

Amenities:

Douglas park (which im recently told will be done up shortly and a new play park added for the under 5's)

Douglas cinema

Douglas pool (not the nicest but the 219 will take you to leisure world in bishopstown)

It has GAA clubs/Soccer clubs/rugby clubs/gymnastics/after school clubs a plenty

Restaurants you have so many food places to choose from, KC's chipper, Mc Donalds, East village, Amicus, Bully's, eco's, 4 star pizza, dominos pizza....too many fantastics places to name.

Bars again more bars/late bars/pubs...etc

2 Shopping centers (the newest is douglas village (Tescos, Post office and M&S) and the older douglas court (Dunnes, Next, New look) - both have webpages)

Grange has an aldi and a supervalu and is within walking/bus distance.

Douglas cabs

and

Douglas church.

it may sound perfect but like everywhere some areas are good some are bad, if you pick an old settled estate you should be just fine,

the village itself would have apartments but its surrounded by a huge number of estates, residential estates like 'shamrock lawn' are within walking distance to the village. others would be a downhill (uphill on the way back) 10-15 minute walk.

• Advertisement

Xantia wrote: »
    I know of a ground floor flat that is going to be unoccupied shortly, the landlord will take RA
    I have no connection whatsoever with him, I just know about it and how to contact him.
    It is on the Skehard Road area.
    Would you be interested?

thanks for that but no Im not going back to living in a flat, the ra is a temporary thing and i am not bring my family into a house converted into flats its the most depressing life to live and i did that for many years and will never do it again

dont mean to sound ungrateful as i am not but you can get a house in a decent area or even an apartment that accepts ra but i will never go back to a flat

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

Well if you go to daft.ie and do and advanced search you can exclude flats and include RA and maybe that might give you some help with your search.
    All the best...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ground floor flat in douglas wouldn't look too good today I'd say...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Ballinlough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

In Douglas you also have a massive swimming pool (currently anyway). Add to this when the village floods due to large newly built shopping centres blocking naturally flowing waterways you have a very large car park all around Cork South Central..yeah, move to Douglas ;)

• Advertisement

wohooo free swimming I am so there, we had the same here last year right outside my door no need to travel anywhere straight into your cossie and dive right in pity it was october but hey you cant have everything right :D

cheers for all the advice we are going on a recon mission in the next month or so to suss out places and see how the land lies with work and to visit the family, think it will be in the city more so then by the coast which is a shame as i would love to live by the coast but like i said you cant have everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

wohooo free swimming I am so there, we had the same here last year right outside my door no need to travel anywhere straight into your cossie and dive right in pity it was october but hey you cant have everything right :D

cheers for all the advice we are going on a recon mission in the next month or so to suss out places and see how the land lies with work and to visit the family, think it will be in the city more so then by the coast which is a shame as i would love to live by the coast but like i said you cant have everything

I was just about to reply make sure you live on the hills in Douglas if you decide to move here we just became a flood area :pac: - safe from her hill based home, hoodie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

I grew up and lived all my life very close to Mahon and it is certainly nothing as bad as you have been led to believe. It has rough and unpleasant characters like anywhere else but the majority are decent normal people. It also has a great gaelscoil and has boys and girls secondary schools locally(alternatively there is Ashton up the road which is mixed).

want to send them to a non dom school, but there doesnt seem to be lots of them in cork - educate together ones that is

the one on the link to cork city doesnt open up so i dont know it it even exists and where it is, there is one in carrigaline and then one in middleton and although middleton is great would like to be on the train line back home to dublin as i would be making regular trips and dont want to have to get train from middleton to cork city and then on to dublin with a toddler ever month that is just a nightmare bad enough going from dublin to cork without the added journey, so not driving is restricting us alot, but helping the environment so you cant have it every way, roll on electric cars :)

so yeah think the city is the best option for now

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

I live between Carrigaline and Crosshaven and we are close to great amenities and lovely beached at Myrtleville and Fountainstown. Can't speak for Knocknaheeny but I personally like Mahon which seems to have a nice community spirit but A chacun à goût as they say.

Carrigaline has an educate together school, good bus links and a wide range of supermarkets etc. Rent is cheaper than the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

omerin wrote: »
    not much difference tbh, why not slum it? :rolleyes:

and as for clueless, you can add ignorant aswell
    Knocka is pretty rough - why pretend otherwise? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

want to send them to a non dom school, but there doesnt seem to be lots of them in cork - educate together ones that is

the one on the link to cork city doesnt open up so i dont know it it even exists and where it is, there is one in carrigaline and then one in middleton and although middleton is great would like to be on the train line back home to dublin as i would be making regular trips and dont want to have to get train from middleton to cork city and then on to dublin with a toddler ever month that is just a nightmare bad enough going from dublin to cork without the added journey, so not driving is restricting us alot, but helping the environment so you cant have it every way, roll on electric cars :)

so yeah think the city is the best option for now

That one on the link is going alright but it is private, maybe about 2 grand a year i've been led to believe. Pricey stuff for a standard primary school education.

Advertisement