Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I Put An SSD In My Laptop?

Options
  • 23-06-2012 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

Probably a stupid question but wasn't sure so I said I'd ask.

There seems to be an open slot for a hard drive in my laptop but when I got it I was told another one couldn't be added. So I'm just wondering if its possible to put a 128gb SSD into it. Pics are attached. Any help would be appreciated.

If it is possible to add an SSD I'm also wondering where I could get a 128gb one and a decent 1Tb external hard drive for as cheap as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

You should remove the first pic as it is displaying your Windows product key.
    Maybe a mod can do it??

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

yes you can get a crucial m4 or samsung 830 for like just over 100 for 128GB

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Chavways wrote: »
    SickBoy wrote: »
    You should remove the first pic as it is displaying your Windows product key.
    Maybe a mod can do it??

I'm on my phone now so I dont think I can remove that photi.Can a mod do it? I wont be able to do it until tonight.

Opening post reported :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Unfortunately removing attachments is an all or nothing affair. I've unlinked them so the OP will need to upload better versions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Unfortunately removing attachments is an all or nothing affair. I've unlinked them so the OP will need to upload better versions.

You can probably lock this.I've gotten the help I needed.Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

So I'm just wondering if its possible to put a 128gb SSD into it.
    Use the SSD as your main drive, and install Windows and your most used apps onto it, to get the full benefit from it. Ensure you look at what SATA version your laptop can take, and also keep an eye on the read/write speed of the SSD that you are buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

the_syco wrote: »
    Use the SSD as your main drive, and install Windows and your most used apps onto it, to get the full benefit from it. Ensure you look at what SATA version your laptop can take, and also keep an eye on the read/write speed of the SSD that you are buying.

Should I leave some spare space on the SSD like I would a normal drive so it doesn't slow down or just fill it up completely?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Should I leave some spare space on the SSD like I would a normal drive so it doesn't slow down or just fill it up completely?
    If using it as the Windows drive, leave a few GB's space that would be used by Windows cache.

Advertisement