Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copper wire question

Options
  • 23-06-2012 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭

Probably not really an electrical question but I want to check anyway.

I am getting the occasional slug coming in thru the patio door and have layed a strip of thin copper wire under the door on the outside where they come in. Its the copper wire taken out of some tv cable and am told it might keep them out.

I just have the wire wrapped around a bit of the aluminium door to keep it in place.

It just crossed my mind to check to see if this is a safe thing to do if someone could clarify. thinking of things like lightning... thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Widescreen wrote: »
    Probably not really an electrical question but I want to check anyway.

I am getting the occasional slug coming in thru the patio door and have layed a strip of thin copper wire under the door on the outside where they come in. Its the copper wire taken out of some tv cable and am told it might keep them out.

I just have the wire wrapped around a bit of the aluminium door to keep it in place.

It just crossed my mind to check to see if this is a safe thing to do if someone could clarify. thinking of things like lightning... thanks

It wont have any implications for lightning etc, although at least that would clear every slug in the vacinity (lightening I mean:)).

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

Im curious as to how the copper wire stops slugs:confused:

Is this like a mini version of when you run a wire around the garden to keep the dog in?

Is there power to the wire?

genuinely confused....

paddymick wrote: »
    Im curious as to how the copper wire stops slugs:confused:

Is this like a mini version of when you run a wire around the garden to keep the dog in?

Is there power to the wire?

genuinely confused....

The copper wire acts like a very low power battery I would imagine, from the slugs slime etc acting like a battery electrolyte.

Probably work better if there were two separate copper wires very close together, but not touching.

Widescreen wrote: »

The only problem with a single wire, and the reason wide copper tape is available for this purpose, is slugs can probably get over it without touching it by arching their way past it. So either a wide strip, or 2 separate wires close together will work better.

Advertisement