Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this normal wear and tear?

Options
  • 23-06-2012 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have been in my current apartment for just over a year.

The sofa's in the living room are leather. When we moved in, the seat part of the sofa was badly worn (probably due to bad quality of the leather) and the leather had cracked and come away and they had covered it with a throw. The same thing is now happening to one of the arm chairs. I have stopped sitting on that arm chair now to stop it getting worse but it doesn't look great.

Are we liable for this when we move out or is it normal wear and tear?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Sounds to me (as a landlord) like it's normal wear and tear based on your description.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I agree- if the furniture were new a year ago then it would not be normal, but clearly it was worn and heavily used before you moved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Have you got photographic evidence or something written into a signed inventory to show the state of the sofa on the day that you moved in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

djimi wrote: »
    Have you got photographic evidence or something written into a signed inventory to show the state of the sofa on the day that you moved in?

Don't have an inventory but did take a photo of it a few weeks after we moved in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Definitely normal wear and tear, if you wish to cover yourself you could send a FYI email to the LL stating the chair is starting to deteriorate and have the appearance of the couch, but you are happy to cover it with a throw and carry on using it. (if you are happy that is, you could try asking for a new suite).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Monife wrote: »
    Don't have an inventory but did take a photo of it a few weeks after we moved in.

Well then you will be fine provided you can prove when the photo was taken!

Advertisement