Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your bonfire stories 2012 23rd

Options
  • 23-06-2012 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭

Seems rather quite for a traditional bonfire night. Or am I in a cave?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

If there's light at both ends your in a tunnel
    If the light is only on one side your in a cave
    On the off chance if its night time check in a few hours time again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

soundsham wrote: »
    On the off chance if its night time check in a few hours time again

The official word until Mr Prenderville's show in the am, is it's been one of the quietest and incident free nights in many a long year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

I think the reason that it was so quite was because all the scum bags were tired after dragging all of their rubbish bags up to the various bonfires and throwing the bags in.

I actually saw something strange this morning while driving across a certain neighbourhood, there was a bonfire still smouldering and there were crows around the remains of the fire eating rubbish.

Bonfire night is not a tradition, it is simply a night used as an excuse for people in certain areas of this city to burn their domestic rubbish. Whether it be refuse, furniture, garden waste or the very strange metal objects, such as trollies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

the one in our estate used to be a bit of a free-for-all but the residents committee in fairness sorted it out. Initially the local Labour councillor sent leaflets around reminding residents that the estate was a bonfire free zone which was fine. But then the residents committee organised a bonfire burning only specially purchased timber and monitoring it to ensure nothing else was dumped onto it in the run-up to the event.
    They had music there also. The weather wasn't great which might have explained the small numbers this year too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Bonus_Pack

I recently moved to Cork and I am appalled that this barbaric behaviour is tolerated, and even promoted by residents committees, let alone the Police. Its farcical.
    If I decided to burn a newspaper in my back yard I'd have the Police knocking on my door and end up in court but these council estate dregs have free reign to burn anything and everything. Surely it is against the law.

Why will the Police not arrest and prosecute?
    Why will fire brigades just drive past and take no action?
    Why are TDs and Councillors not getting on this and demanding enforcement?
    Why, yet again, are the decent people getting the shaft and having to inhale toxic fumes while scumbags have free reign?

Who is the local TD & councillors for Mahon. I will be contacting them.

• Advertisement

Bonus_Pack wrote: »
    Who is the local TD & councillors for Mahon. I will be contacting them.

http://www.corkcity.ie/yourcouncil/electedmembers/

The bonfire is part of the mid summer pagan festival, it is celebrated in many cultures and has gravitated to different newer festivals and occasions and may be found celebrated at Halloween, Midsummer, Winter Solstice and so forth around Europe and the US.

Cork's strong tradition became a mid summer event thought to be after a City By-Law banned thatched roofs. The story goes that the roofs were slated and the thatch thrown into huge piles and burn to avoid fines and imprisonment ~ the mere possession of the straw was an offence.

Huh. Shure they used to offer virgin sacrifices in pagan times too, do you think we should allow that to go on aswell? Because it was ever thus is not an acceptable justification for it.
    Its barbaric, a health and safety hazard, and environmental hazard.
    How does it make Cork look to foreign tourists who come here? they'd be horrified and would never come back im sure.

At mahon fire, I saw a kids as young as 5 or 6 running around within meters of the blaze breathing thick tyre smoke and others pulling flaming sticks out of it and running off with them. Any parent who knowingly allows their child to be any way involved in this ludicrous spectacle needs to have The Social called on them.

Huh. Shure they used to offer virgin sacrifices in pagan times too, do you think we should allow that to go on aswell?.

Just because I report history, should not be taken as my endorsement of the occasion.

There were several Mahon Fires, the one on Ballinure Cresent was inspected by CO11-A2 and deemed to be safe and supervised. No action was taken.

Two other fires in Mahon were extinguished twice.

There were several Mahon Fires, the one on Ballinure Cresent was inspected by CO11-A2 and deemed to be safe and supervised. No action was taken.

But surely it's illegal to burn material in the open, regardless of whether it's paper, wood, furniture or tyres. As I said, if i decided to go out the back and burn a bag of rubbish I'd end up in court.
    I've herad stories of an aul wan who burned a few paper in the field and a helicopter landed nearby and a man hopped out. She asked if he had a problem, he said no but that she had a problem. Smacked a summons or something on her.

Fact. Burnign stuff in the open is illegal. Not to mention the risks outlined above.
    What do you make of the H&S and environmental risks. Smoke cannot be contained and is a danger. What if some oul wan down the road has asthma or something and gets an attack and dies? Who will take the blame?
    It shoud be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

"Illegal is a sick bird"....

Neighbours were lining up with their old furniture for the bonfire.
    They are still lighting them today.

• Advertisement

Funiture that you and I as taxpayers probably paid for, since most of these class lives in council estates.ugh.
    I bet if they had to pay for it themselves they would think twice.

I was talking to Co. Council housing officer last week and he said some of the carry on in council estates was beggars belief - staircases being cut down, and chopped up for firewood. Floor boards being used for same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

- staircases being cut down, and chopped up for firewood. Floor boards being used for same.

If you believe that, you'd believe anything
    Then again so far you've mentioned stories involving helicopters, kids chasing each other with flaming timber,
    asthmatics choking in their homes

Don't forget to add a few racial stereotypes while you're at it.

Surprised you couldn't see every bonfire from your high horse above the unwashed masses

If you believe that, you'd believe anything
    Then again so far you've mentioned stories involving helicopters
    I was told that it happend in tipperary.
    kids chasing each other with flaming timber
    So now your calling me a liar? I saw saw them running around myself and Guards and firement were just driving past. Didn't even stop.
    asthmatics choking in their homes
    Well if you saw the thick black smoke, you'd understand. They must have had plastic or tyre in the fire.
    Don't forget to add a few racial stereotypes while you're at it.
    What are you trying to insinuate? Your the one bringing up racism. I never mentioned anything of the sort.
    Surprised you couldn't see every bonfire from your high horse above the
    unwashed masses
    I'm not on any high horse, i'm just saying the facts of waht I saw and what i was told.
    The head man over the housing in another local authority in muster told me about the stairs' and floorboards being chopped up. And if you don't beleive that that is happening, well then you must have had a very sheltered upbringing. I spend 6 months living near a council estate while at college and I have seen things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

I spend 6 months living near a council estate while at college and I have seen things.

I lived 20 years living In a council estate, In a single parent family, I'm of mixed ethnicity and have had to build up everything I've now from absolute nothing
    all of which means I'm not fond of biased ignorance.

Considering you've only moved here, the stories you've posted above are 3rd hand at best if not completley fabricated
    and are spread to make people think they're better than whoever they don't like for reasons x,y and z

Can I recommend the Neil Prendiville and Joe Duffy shows to you? I think you'd really like them.

Again, they are not 3rd hand. Sure i already said that it was a senior council official who told me first hand of the stairs and floor thing, in addition to many other things. The other things I have seen WITH MY OWN EYES so i don't know where your going with accusing me of giving 3rd hand stories

And again, you are the one that is bringing up race as an issue, I never mentioned race or prejudice in any way until you brought it up.

OT: I've listened to neil prederville - it's like the Joe duffy show on steroids. That lad is fecking mental.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Bonfires aren't "barbaric" - there is a long tradition of marking St John's Eve with a bonfire across Europe.

The problem isn't the fire but with the activities that surround it. In some areas the fire is a magnet for the anti-social behaviour that goes on all the time.

Advertisement