Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Re-homing a rescue horse?

• 23-06-2012 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm on the look out for a horse and thinking of re-homing something from the likes of the IHWT. Has anyone ever re-homed a horse? Any info on this would be great.

Most of the suitable ones I've looked at are around 6 and unbroken. What are the pros and cons of breaking a 6 year old?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭Angelmangle

They retrain a lot of retired racehorses and while I personally love thoroughbreds they are not the horse for everybody, you really have to be a competant rider and know what you are about with them its not fair on yourself or the horse otherwise. But if you have the experience go for it, I'm sure they will assess your riding and your suitability before they let you take a horse.

As for unbroken 6 years olds, its the same. You obviously need to know how to bring on a young horse from being broken to continuing its education - again not something to be taken on unless you really know what you are about.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

Thanks for that.

I'm pretty competent, my last horse when I was a teen was a small thoroughbred, I know they're a bit 'special' sometimes :D

I have a soft spot for them. They're incredibly smart, but I agree they do need a calm and competent rider.

As for breaking I'd have a lot of help between friends who work breaking and bringing on young horses so would be fine on that front.

I guess with an ex -racer the main problem would be getting them used to a new way of going and building muscle and suppleness. Plus introducing poles and actual paces and transitions as opposed to just stop, go.

I just think it would be really rewarding (providing all goes to plan) to give an ex racer a chance as a riding horse.

What do you think would be the pros and cons of an ex-racer?

Is there anywhere else that retrains them other than IHWT?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ordinary star

I looked into rehoming before and found out that most of the horses for rehoming from the IHWT are not suitable for riding...

I think it sounds like rehoming an exracehorse is a better option for you, given that you are a competent rider!

I had lots of fun retraining an exracehorse of my own and had fun hunting, jumping and eventing before i sold him on as a riding horse! Best of Luck :)

Thanks for the reply Ordinary Star.

It is a pity most of the horses they have are companion only. Sad to think they've ended up like that.

I'd love to hear more about your re-training. Maybe I'll PM you sometime.

Seeing as you've done it before, what advice or tips would you give? Anything in particular to be careful about etc. I know each horse will be different and have different experience etc. but always interesting to hear a few tales from one who has been there and done it!

I'm basically looking for advice on the what not to dos, or what to watch out for. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Dita

Hi Heydeldel

I wanted to say that although I do not work for the IHWT I can confirm that they do have horses for rehoming that are not just companions, they have 80 - something horses up at their base and there are plenty that can be ridden and some that have just been backed.

I would urge you to keep an eye on their website as they are re-doing the rehoming section or even take a trip up to their base to meet the residents.

Best of luck

• Advertisement

Thanks Dita!

I did email them to find out a bit more. So waiting on a reply. I'd love to support them and the work they do.

I know the site says they have 90+ horses so I guess I'll find something suitable in that lot.

I'm working abroad at the mo and not back in Ireland till end of July so I'll have to be patient until then.

I'll definitely go up and have a look.

Cheers for that. I'll keep the thread updated on the developments. I might even blog about it, could be fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

There are a few other rescues with horses, OP. Hungry Horses at the Door, Cottage Rescue, ISPCA, Holly's (in NI but rehome to RoI) etc. if you don't find what you are looking for at the IHWT.

Brill, thanks!

I'll have a good look around before I commit. I tried a google search of places but as I'm in the UK all I get are British sites so that's great information.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

Just be very careful what rescue you go to. Somewhere like the IHWT is fine because it is well known and reputable, but unfortunately there are other rescues out there who are not so reputable. One poster here had an awful experience with a so-called 'rescue' and it turned out that the horse they got from the rescue was supposed to have been put down at an abattoir a few weeks earlier! :eek:

I had an ex-racer and we did a lot of Riding Club stuff, dressage and jumping. They can make great riding horses when they are retrained properly and brought on in the right home. Best of luck with your search :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

convert wrote: »
    Just be very careful what rescue you go to. Somewhere like the IHWT is fine because it is well known and reputable, but unfortunately there are other rescues out there who are not so reputable. One poster here had an awful experience with a so-called 'rescue' and it turned out that the horse they got from the rescue was supposed to have been put down at an abattoir a few weeks earlier! :eek:

What the ....? Have you got a link to that thread please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

I'll send you a PM, EGAR.

Hmmm,

So I was thinking about the re-homing. I wouldn't be able to sell the horse ( not that that's the plan but my line of work could be precarious, might have to live abroad again etc) so what do you do if you can no longer look after a rescue?

Am now thinking of getting an ex racer instead. There must be a few nice ones floating around??

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭missloulou

As far as I know if you cannot look after your rescue horse anymore you have to return it to the rescue. Sadly it has happened a lot recently.

That is unfortunate. It must be really hard to have to give a horse back, especially after putting in a lot of time and effort.

It would be similarly hard to sell on or let go of a horse you have put a lot of work, time, money not to mention emotional investment into either way I would have thought. At least if due to unforseen circumstances, you have to get rid of your horse you will know they are going to be looked after and rehomed properly. If you sell a horse on you have no real idea of where they will eventually end up. My worst nightmare would be them ending up on the meat wagon to the UK or in an abattoir here :mad:

At least sending back a rescue horse, you know they are going to be safe and properly rehomed. I always said that if something happened to me and I died before my horse I would want him to go to a rescue society for that very reason.

Oh totally. I sold my last horse just before my leaving cert ( good while ago now!) and have no idea where he is now. It was an incredibly hard decision to sell him then.I needed money for college so it was a decision I had to make.

Anyways, I was in contact with the IHWT and will prob go visit when I get home.

Of course its natural to want your horse to go to a 5 star home. I've been very picky about who bought my childhood pony and my horse. But such is life,we can't control everything.

Hi all,

What are your thoughts on an 11 yr old ex point to pointer?

Is 11 a little old for retraining? He might be pretty set in his ways at that age or maybe not?

Has he only ever done point to point or have they done some other kind of work with him? To answer your question, no 11 is not too old, but just be careful at that age that he doensn't come with bumps and bruises and other hidden injuries after such a long racing career. Make sure you get him thoroughly vetted :D

Hi AngleM,

He hasn't doe any other form of ridding than hacking and racing.

I'd def have him vetted. I've been in contact with his owner again she told me he had a slipped disc in his neck last year. She felt he wasn't jumping great and after a vetting they figured out it was due to a slipped disc. She says it hasn't caused a problem since and he's still a great jumper. But this made him understandably more cautious when raced and thus less competitive :confused:

So should that be a major turn off? Especially If I want to eventually ride him in a rounder outline where he'll have to use his neck differently?

When I go see him I have the opportunity to ride him in an arena and jump a little so I suppose I'll know then how he moves etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement