Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CENS ear defenders

Options
  • 23-06-2012 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

Well Lads,
    I was rooting around and spotted these CENS electronic ear defenders which claim you can hear normally, that it actually allows you hear wing beats small noises better when hunting and stops the noise of a shot!!! These are priced at between Has anyone €550 and €650 in Dublin!!!!! Has anyone used these and what are they like? before I start saving to get them!!!
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I'm not sure I'd trust electronic ear defenders to be honest, they're not designed for high amplitude impulse noises (ie. gunshots, explosions, etc); they were mainly intended for constant low amplitude noises like engine noise in aircraft (which is where most of the R&D work was done on them). You get a mid-range pair of those and expose them to the noise of a gunshot, and they can take a few milliseconds to adapt to the noise. Your brain can't process the first few milliseconds seperately; it's too fast for both the ear and the brain, so you don't hear the strength of the initial bang and you think the defenders are working; but the hearing damage is done in the first few microseconds; so you're getting hearing damage but don't feel it until you start noticing the after-effects of the damage.

Personally, on the range I stick with passive ear defenders; I've always thought hunters should be using sound moderators.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Any reason why you want those type ?

I use a pair of peltor Active hearing muffs.... not sure of the model but I think its the Peltor Sporttac: Peltor Sporttac

There brilliant !

A feature I never use is but its got a stereo jack if you wanted to plug in an MP3 . Newer models have bluetooth as well

herea a link to a standard set on ebay: Link to ebay

GH

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dto001

Heres the link:
    http://www.censdigital.com/online_demo.html

I want these type because they are in ear and are not as bulky for hunting as they sit in your ear. another reason I want these as you aparently can hear normally ie during duck flights etc. plus a safety reason if you are shooting with friends you know where they are!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Sparks wrote: »
    I'm not sure I'd trust electronic ear defenders to be honest, they're not designed for high amplitude impulse noises (ie. gunshots, explosions, etc);

The peltor sportac ones are
    they were mainly intended for constant low amplitude noises like engine noise in aircraft (which is where most of the R&D work was done on them). You get a mid-range pair of those and expose them to the noise of a gunshot, and they can take a few milliseconds to adapt to the noise. Your brain can't process the first few milliseconds seperately; it's too fast for both the ear and the brain, so you don't hear the strength of the initial bang and you think the defenders are working; but the hearing damage is done in the first few microseconds; so you're getting hearing damage but don't feel it until you start noticing the after-effects of the damage.

I definitely wouldn't skimp on them either. Saying that though any sort of active digital system could easily cope with the above i.e. it doesn't react to sound it samples the sound first and then decides whether to feed it to your ear or not.
    Personally, on the range I stick with passive ear defenders; I've always thought hunters should be using sound moderators.

Can't argue there. There's no need for active stuff on the range and removing sound from the source (moderators) is the best solution for everyone.

When it comes to rough shooting with a shotgun in the field, the Peltors are awkward and I fear for them in the rain. They're great for hide shooting like pigeons and ducks but not so hot for pheasants when jumping ditches and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Sparks wrote: »
    I'm not sure I'd trust electronic ear defenders to be honest, they're not designed for high amplitude impulse noises (ie. gunshots, explosions, etc); they were mainly intended for constant low amplitude noises like engine noise in aircraft (which is where most of the R&D work was done on them). You get a mid-range pair of those and expose them to the noise of a gunshot, and they can take a few milliseconds to adapt to the noise. Your brain can't process the first few milliseconds seperately; it's too fast for both the ear and the brain, so you don't hear the strength of the initial bang and you think the defenders are working; but the hearing damage is done in the first few microseconds; so you're getting hearing damage but don't feel it until you start noticing the after-effects of the damage.

I have a pair of in-ear electronic ear defenders especially made for shooting, custom fit, have then a couple of years now, brilliant bit of kit. One thing great about in ear defenders is no sweaty ears from muffs:eek:, crystal clear conversations in the field, hear everything around you and does the job when you pull the trigger, got mine custom made in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dto001

Deerhunter Where abouts in Kildare did you get them and if you don't mind me asking how much did they cost?? and how long did they take to get??

Advertisement