Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

petrol pump was pulled out of the ground!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭huggy15

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Huggy15, can you make your point without the language and insults?
    sorry, but some of the other people on this seem to have difficulty voicing their own opinions in a mannerly way

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Didn't you miss the noise of the petrol bring pumped into the car?

Didn't you miss the noise of the petrol bring pumped into the car?
    radio was on so i wouldn't have heard it

dclifford wrote: »
    Please, please tell me that you asked for the €5 back. After all you never got any petrol and none of it was your fault. You might want to ask the solicitor where you stand on the matter of them not giving you a full refund. :D
    yeah after i had finished arguing with the manager i demanded my fiver back :-P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

You drove off, without checking any of your mirrors, while the nozzel was attached to your car. You can mouth off about health and safety and break-away valves to your hearts content, it wont detract from your negligence, which what you would be sued for. -

If he takes you to court and he will sue for negligence -general damages such loss of amenity/business effacancy, inconvienence etc and special damages totaling the cost of repairs etc. He will win the case and the amount awarded will be reduced in line with any supposed contributory negligence on the petrol stations behalf (The kid, the health and safety). You will have to pay this figure and any legal costs incurred by the petrol station. The costs will hurt alot more than losing your no claims.

Or you can settle out of court and stop playing the victim on an online forum.

Cheers for the laugh though.
    huggy15 wrote: »
    read the whole article before you start working your mouth off fool. what are you on about kid and all? i only came looking for advice and you gave it but no need to go about it like a twat

out of curiosity, what makes retroactive a twat? because he's after telling you what you didn't want to hear?

he is one of very few posters who hasn't left a pisstake answer and has offered genuine advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

Yeah essentially you are at fault. Have you considered taking responsibility for your own actions?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Jimbob 83 wrote: »

Im sorry if my first post came across as abit harsh but imo you are at fault, however you probably have a leg to stand on as the attendant(wannabe?) shouldn't have been there as it presents all kinds of insurance/health and safety issues.

I would fight my case, but i would also try and be more careful/observant in future for your own health if nothing else ;)

Ask for a copy of the video footage through a solicitor, that should help with your defense.

andyseadog wrote: »
    You drove off, without checking any of your mirrors, while the nozzel was attached to your car. You can mouth off about health and safety and break-away valves to your hearts content, it wont detract from your negligence, which what you would be sued for. -

If he takes you to court and he will sue for negligence -general damages such loss of amenity/business effacancy, inconvienence etc and special damages totaling the cost of repairs etc. He will win the case and the amount awarded will be reduced in line with any supposed contributory negligence on the petrol stations behalf (The kid, the health and safety). You will have to pay this figure and any legal costs incurred by the petrol station. The costs will hurt alot more than losing your no claims.

read the whole article before you start working your mouth off fool. what are you on about kid and all? i only came looking for advice and you gave it but no need to go about it like a twat

out of curiosity, what makes retroactive a twat? because he's after telling you what you didn't want to hear?

he is one of very few posters who hasn't left a pisstake answer and has offered genuine advice.

he says i am mouthing off about health and safety and pressure valves and the like, if he cared to read through he would have seen that it was not me making this argument. so if this is how it is and i am at the only one at fault then what would you do in my position? just lie down and face the music?

gatecrash wrote: »
    What petrol station was it?
    goal petrol station letterkenny

any Donegal members want to go check this out today?

he says i am mouthing off about health and safety and pressure valves and the like, if he cared to read through he would have seen that it was not me making this argument. so if this is how it is and i am at the only one at fault then what would you do in my position? just lie down and face the music?

he cleanrly means "you" collectively, as in all the people mentioning the health and safety sapect of what happened, not "you" huggy15 personally.

if i was in your shoes i have simply no idea what i would do. but i would find admitting liability hard to swallow. i'd probably arrange a solicitor and talk to them, then do something.

• Advertisement

Where To wrote: »
    What if someone left a carrycot behind your car and you reversed over it OP?

This is no different.

I'd say it's very different tbh. He may have checked his rear view, but obviously didn't check his wing mirrors very closely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

If this does end up in court I suggest you leave your ****ty attitude at home for the day along with the foul language.

read the whole article before you start working your mouth off fool.

Mr%20T%20A-Team.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Where's the goal filling station? Do u mean the Go filling station on pearse road?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Sorry op, but in my opinions it's your own fault.

I double check if there is a pump inside after I already paid! And I was the one to fill it in!!!
    It's just like common sence.

Common sense..... not as common as you'd imagine :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

andyseadog wrote: »
    gatecrash wrote: »
    What petrol station was it?
    goal petrol station letterkenny

any Donegal members want to go check this out today?

I had a look at the donegal forum earlier on. No mention of a pump being destroyed.

Kevwoody wrote: »
    Where's the goal filling station? Do u mean the Go filling station on pearse road?
    yes that's the one!

Sacramento wrote: »
    Where To wrote: »
    What if someone left a carrycot behind your car and you reversed over it OP?

This is no different.

I'd say it's very different tbh. He may have checked his rear view, but obviously didn't check his wing mirrors very closely.
    i checked my rear view and driver side wing mirror, you see i looked over my left shoulder and to the left and seen there was no cars coming and the lad appeared to be finished

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

I really think the fault lays with both parties. Because the business let someone obviously unqualified, in fact not even employed by the business to perform tasks in public service (surely an insurance issue there for the garage to have some random person operating the pumps?) I think the garage wner has to bear atleast half of the cost fo fixing the pump.
    If I were the Op I would calm down, go back to the garage, sit down with the guy and come to a compromise before it gets out of hand. I think it would be reasonable that half the cost is borne by each. It would be different if you had put the pump intot he car yourself, if the garage guy is not willing to pay half the cost then I would then find the guy who put the pump into your car.. he physically put the pump there? You definately have some responsibility.. not checking your mirrors before you pull away from somewhere is a habit that might eventually kill someone, so maybe lesson learned? hths

• Advertisement

dharma200 wrote: »
    I really think the fault lays with both parties. Because the business let someone obviously unqualified, in fact not even employed by the business to perform tasks in public service (surely an insurance issue there for the garage to have some random person operating the pumps?) I think the garage wner has to bear atleast half of the cost fo fixing the pump.
    If I were the Op I would calm down, go back to the garage, sit down with the guy and come to a compromise before it gets out of hand. I think it would be reasonable that half the cost is borne by each. It would be different if you had put the pump intot he car yourself, if the garage guy is not willing to pay half the cost then I would then find the guy who put the pump into your car.. he physically put the pump there? You definately have some responsibility.. not checking your mirrors before you pull away from somewhere is a habit that might eventually kill someone, so maybe lesson learned? hths
    yeah i know im definitely partly to blame but as you say i think the owner definitely has to take some responsibility too. like what kind of reputable business has some randomer there to attend to its customers? if it was 50/50 in paying for the damage it would not bother me as much but he is putting all the blame on me, surely he is partly at fault for having some one un trained "working" there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Huggy, you are way more to blame in this alleged incident than the owner is. Face facts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭Pa Dee

It makes about as much difference as a fuel pump costs roughly
    explain yourself????
    Is it somehow possible you yourself are the simpleton who hangs around the garage ? Something fishy here....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Your totally at fault imho, and the insurance assessor will just view the camera footage, see you driving off while the pump is attached to your car and the claim will be passed to you I'd imagine.

The backround stuff about you allowing someone to put the nozzle in etc is irrelevant, you were the one who turned on your engine and drive away, thus causing the damage.

I'd be going back to the garage sharpish and trying to deal with it with the owner, regardless of him being unpleasant, if he wants he can put in for a new pump for 8 grand. You need to accept the situation snd manage it as best you can to minimise your exposure imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Pics or GTFO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

donna82 wrote: »
    I haven't read all the replies for this post because i don't see where people are seeing the funny side and mocking the amount of petrol put into the car. I can honestly say i don't think you were in the wrong here. 1. what manager of a fueling station allows some randomer hang around pumping petrol 2. why did he have to go in to switch on the pump when he doesn't work there surely he's not allowed behind the counter and 3. People that are accusing you of negligence are prats Im sure they don't always do the mirror rule every time they pull away from a pump especially if its a busy station. I've been to busy pumps and you just need to get out of the way to allow other cars in no time to do a full mirror check.
    And seriously who would leave a carrycot behind a random car infairness chances are you wouldn't see it if you did check all the mirrors. Next people will be saying you should have walked around the whole car before taking off. Gob****es.

Another female enters the thread :p

Anyone who doesn't do a 2 second mirror check before pulling off is essentially leaving their lives and those of everyone around them at risk.

Also is no reason to walk around the car either of the wing mirrors would 100% see the nozzle and hose, and if they are properly aligned you shouldn't even have to turn your head more than halfway.

Nothing annoys me more than other road users expecting other people to pick up their slack because they cba to do the simple things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

yes that's the one!

That just goes to prove how good your observation skills are, when u can't even see the 5foot high name on the forecourt!

Take your head out of your arse and take responsibility for your actions, and next time pump your own fuel u lazy ****

No need for that kind of abuse, take 3 days off

Hammertime wrote: »
    Your totally at fault imho, and the insurance assessor will just view the camera footage, see you driving off while the pump is attached to your car and the claim will be passed to you I'd imagine.

The backround stuff about you allowing someone to put the nozzle in etc is irrelevant, you were the one who turned on your engine and drive away, thus causing the damage.

I'd be going back to the garage sharpish and trying to deal with it with the owner, regardless of him being unpleasant, if he wants he can put in for a new pump for 8 grand. You need to accept the situation snd manage it as best you can to minimise your exposure imo
    thanks for the advice, im going to let it lie for the time being as im heading on holidays. going to wait and see what the guard says when he gets back to me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭Pa Dee

donna82 wrote: »
    I haven't read all the replies for this post because i don't see where people are seeing the funny side and mocking the amount of petrol put into the car. I can honestly say i don't think you were in the wrong here. 1. what manager of a fueling station allows some randomer hang around pumping petrol 2. why did he have to go in to switch on the pump when he doesn't work there surely he's not allowed behind the counter and 3. People that are accusing you of negligence are prats Im sure they don't always do the mirror rule every time they pull away from a pump especially if its a busy station. I've been to busy pumps and you just need to get out of the way to allow other cars in no time to do a full mirror check.
    And seriously who would leave a carrycot behind a random car infairness chances are you wouldn't see it if you did check all the mirrors. Next people will be saying you should have walked around the whole car before taking off. Gob****es.

Another female enters the thread :p

Anyone who doesn't do a 2 second mirror check before pulling off is essentially leaving their lives and those of everyone around them at risk.

Also is no reason to walk around the car either of the wing mirrors would 100% see the nozzle and hose, and if they are properly aligned you shouldn't even have to turn your head more than halfway.

Nothing annoys me more than other road users expecting other people to pick up their slack because they cba to do the simple things
    Makes sense insurance premiums for women will soon be increasing.

• Advertisement

yes that's the one!

That just goes to prove how good your observation skills are, when u can't even see the 5foot high name on the forecourt!

Take your head out of your arse and take responsibility for your actions, and next time pump your own fuel u lazy ****
    is that the best you can come up with you imbossil? who gives one sh1t what its called i know i don't

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement