Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK plug

Options
  • 24-06-2012 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi,

If I have an electrical appliance with an EU plug. Can I just put a UK plug onto it ? Which would save me buying an adapter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

oorrccaa wrote: »
    Hi,

If I have an electrical appliance with an EU plug. Can I just put a UK plug onto it ? Which would save me buying an adapter.

You can simply cut it of and fit a uk plug ,wire the brown wire to the live (L) terminal,the blue to the neutral (N) and the green /yellow to the earth which is the top long prong of the plug.Dont forget to tighten the cable with the two screws at the bottom of the plug.make sure every screw is tight and secure before closing plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭oorrccaa

That's great thanks. Is it only with eu plugs you can do that or can you do it with say AU or US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

EU/UK/AU sockets are 230~ volts. US are on 110~ volts so you can't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭oorrccaa

So I can switch between UK, European, and Australian ?

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

You can change some US plugs, if the device has a transformer on it thta accepts ~110-240V 60/50 Hz input. Read the sticker on the power brick.

Obviously don't change a plug that has a transformer built into it though! (looks like a phone charger rather than a laptop charger)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

This article explains everything:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity_by_country

The vast majority of the world uses European-standard derived 220-240V 50Hz or 230V. Appliances sold in any of those markets will work perfectly in Ireland (or any other 230V country) with a simple plug change.

Plugs aren't exactly high-tech devices. They're just a relatively safe way of connecting your appliance to the electrical system without using bare wires :) ..

US/Canada and a few other places use 120V 60Hz
    Japan uses 100V 50Hz and 100V 60Hz
    and a few places use old 127V 50Hz/60Hz systems (parts of Latin America, Middle East, Caribbean etc.)

Advertisement