Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you think you are a good person?

• 24-06-2012 2:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭

Just a random After Hours thread. Have also included a poll :P

Do you see yourself as a good person?
    Perhaps a bad person?
    or perhaps its a 'grey area'?

For me,
    Used to be a 'nice guy' up until 23/24. Was naive and foolish. Always tried to be nice/do the right thing/etc ... now a few years on, well a big grey area. I still maintain that I should be courteous to those I meet/be around (until a reason suggets otherwise) But from life experiences my current view seems to be well ... being honest ... everyone is out for themelves. So that mentality shapes my actions. Which is now leading me down the 'why not be a bollix' path.

But thats me. What about you?

Are you a good person? 103 votes

Yes. I am a good person.
    0% 0 votes
    No. I believe I am not a good person.
    87% 90 votes
    Grey-area.
    12% 13 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

It would be a very split thing with me , most people would say I am a nice guy but then when I want something I would turn into the most ruthless person you could meet . To me everybody is in a grey area because no-one is ever going to be 100 % nice at all times because if you are you won't get very far in life . Well thats my opinion anyway .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

For me,
    Used to be a 'nice guy' up until 23/24. Was naive and foolish. Always tried to be nice/do the right thing/etc ... now a few years on, well a big grey area. I still maintain that I should be courteous to those I meet/be around (until a reason suggets otherwise) But from life experiences my current view seems to be well ... being honest ... everyone is out for themelves. So that mentality shapes my actions. Which is now leading me down the 'why not be a bollix' path.

You drive around in a van and shoot people for a living. How is that a grey area?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'm honest, trustworthy and loyal. All the the qualities of a loser. You've got to be a prick to succeed out there, its a desperate world devoid of all morals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I'm nice guy Eddie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Just a random After Hours thread. Have also included a poll :P

Do you see yourself as a good person?
    Perhaps a bad person?
    or perhaps its a 'grey area'?

For me,

Hang on now, do you mean actually nice or "nice," heavily in quotation marks and usually followed by "but...?"

I consider myself a fairly nice, considerate person, though not perfect. But I'm far from naive or foolish. Those things don't have to go together. You can be nice but savvy and know who to be nice to and indulge, and who to keep your guard up around.

Also, before you were 23/24, did your friends take advantage of you by often tricking you into drinking drugged millk in order to get you on a plane?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I pity the fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I'm mostly a good guy but I get a bit colder every year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

All those injections Hannibal gave you were bound to take their toll - ah, the life of a soldier of fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

I'm a grand lad most of the time but I do have prickish tendencies which let me down every now and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I believe I'm a good person most of the time, I'm not without some faults of course but I'm more good than bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I can always be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Used to be eager to please in work
    Thought it would get me noticed as a good employee

More fool me :rolleyes:
    Act like a doormat and that's how people will treat you

No thanks when it goes right, get all the blame when it goes wrong

I'm still nice but far less naive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I didn't use to be! I was such a bitch and would tear anyone to shreds behind their back. Horrible! But I copped on and haven't done that in a few years.

I'm a very good friend, always there when I'm needed, too good really cause I rarely get it back but will keep on giving.

I'll help anyone out if I can. I've done a lot of volunteer work. Starting to work at a dog shelter next week!

Probably could be better. Only give a little money to charity at Christmas, never to beggars. But when it comes to treating people well, I am very good at it.

Hearing nice things about myself makes me feel good :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

I'm honest, trustworthy and loyal. All the the qualities of a loser. You've got to be a prick to succeed out there, its a desperate world devoid of all morals.

This comment makes me sad......because I think it's true.

Except the loser bit....you're no loser DEFTLEFTHAND.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

"believe" I'm not a good person!
    I am what I am! no belief needed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

I used to be a good person and nice to women,they didnt like that, but then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Easier to be nice than not nice, that takes effort.

So im a nice guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Good? Im the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

This comment makes me sad......because I think it's true.

Except the loser bit....you're no loser DEFTLEFTHAND.:)

Your not a loser either, your just a better class of person. We're rich where it matters, we have our morals. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Morally, yes. there's a difference between between a good person and a pushover though. You can be a nice person without letting people walk all over you. I'll be as helpful and courteous to people and friends as they need, push my buttons and I'll wreck you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I'm a nice person and I wouldn't think twice about beating the shit out of anyone who disagrees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Fundamentally good and kind but have a vicious streak if anyone crosses me. Chosen method of retaliation is to pretend they are dead/don't exist. Not one to step over my dying granny for a payrise though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Good, without question.

I have met some people in my life who I would I say are bad, and I am far removed from them and am damn grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I don't think I'm a good person but then I'm not a bad person either. People place too much emphasis on what or who's good or bad. The reality is that the vast majority of people on this earth aren't good or bad, they're just people trying to live their lives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

No, I'm a bad person. I eat defenceless, innocent cows and chickens indiscrimately. I buy luxury items instead of giving it to starving children. I'm truly an evil cu nt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I'm a very cynical thinker. But I can't get myself to become a cynical actor.
    I don't do things that I suspect will hurt people or animals, nd try and help where I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

No for sure. Am a hater of all things life-associated. Life is over-rated. Down with that sort of thing. Careful now.

Ah, Hello Mick & Mary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I am generally a good person but that doesn't stop me from being a dickhead a lot of the time.

Actually I'm I really bloody good person. And I'm not tryna be all egotistical here but I know I'm very nice and take care to be as such!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I think the best way to find out if anyone is good, is to ask people who know them.

Back on topic, Hell yeah ! I'm just the best ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I don't think there is such a thing as a good person, or a bad person.
    I am neither, I am both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

I'm a bit of alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

mikemac1 wrote: »
    No thanks when it goes right, get all the blame when it goes wrong

Nicely put. ;)

I do think I am a good person, not perfect by any means and I have made mistakes and have treated some people less than perfectly, but I've become a better person for having learned from those mistakes.

I think being 'good' is as much about being good to yourself as it is about being 'good' to other people. Sometimes I think people make complete 180s in their personality because after being burned due to their niaveness, they become absolute pricks to protect themselves. They haven't learned from their mistakes though, deep down they are still that insecure and naive person that got burnt.

Bit of a ramble, but I suppose the moral of the story is this: showing backbone does not mean being a prick, you can say your piece without being out of order. You just have to learn to cut yourself a break and to not be bitter about things that have happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I normal nice but it changes with the mood I'm in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

I'm bad, I'm bad, really really bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Grey area for me.

I consider myself nice, but maybe I think I just worry too much about what people think of me. But when I'm driving, I'm a grade A cúnt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

im a good person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭shuridunno

Everybody gets grey as they get older.

When you're young you see the good in people and it reflects through you.

Life lessons teach you otherwise and you see that you need to be a little bad to achieve things or get what is right for you.

I'm becoming a bad person, and I like her. She takes no prisoners and takes out those who get in her way, but politely:p

• Site Banned Posts: 222 ✭✭bee_keeper

I don't think there is such a thing as a good person, or a bad person.
    I am neither, I am both.

its easy for some people to be good and a lot less easy for others

i know good people who were convinced they were the devil incarnate by people with a malevolent agenda

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

shuridunno wrote: »
    Everybody gets grey as they get older.

When you're young you see the good in people and it reflects through you.

Life lessons teach you otherwise and you see that you need to be a little bad to achieve things or get what is right for you.

I'm becoming a bad person, and I like her. She takes no prisoners and takes out those who get in her way, but politely:p

You're worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭shuridunno

Freaky...
    Do you know me:eek:

I started going grey at 19. She's been my friend a while:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

I don't think that there are genuinely "good" people. Everyone is in the grey area, though there are surely different shades of grey.

I'm good to those I like, but if someone angers me or lashes out on someone dear to me I will unleash hell and forget about my good intentions ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

I think it depends on what your definition of ''good'' is. I've never murdered anyone or robbed them. I used to be quite kind and far too much of a pushover. Those days are over, I'm 23 and bitter and angry ;) Well, that also has to do with how people have treated me and how life has treated me. I am not a great friend, I don't trust people and I keep my distance. That being said, I would never screw someone over just to benefit myself and I don't treat people badly, I could just treat them better if I made more of an effort. Grey area for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭pushkii

Everyone has their good points and bad ones were only human. but on the whole im definitely good :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Yeah I think I'm a good person, sometimes I tihnk I'm too nice and need to be more of a prick and stick up for myself a bit more!!
    Especially with the ladies, I'm a walk over, just can't say no!!

Nicely put. ;)

I do think I am a good person, not perfect by any means and I have made mistakes and have treated some people less than perfectly, but I've become a better person for having learned from those mistakes.

I think being 'good' is as much about being good to yourself as it is about being 'good' to other people. Sometimes I think people make complete 180s in their personality because after being burned due to their niaveness, they become absolute pricks to protect themselves. They haven't learned from their mistakes though, deep down they are still that insecure and naive person that got burnt.

Bit of a ramble, but I suppose the moral of the story is this: showing backbone does not mean being a prick, you can say your piece without being out of order. You just have to learn to cut yourself a break and to not be bitter about things that have happened.

what makes you think that everyone who got burned made mistakes , thats someting which irritates me , when a decent person is victimised by someone with a malevolent agenda , the focus on improvement shines on the one who was wronged , as if they were somehow asking for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

bee_keeper wrote: »
    what makes you think that everyone who got burned made mistakes , thats someting which irritates me , when a decent person is victimised by someone with a malevolent agenda , the focus on improvement shines on the one who was wronged , as if they were somehow asking for it

I agree with you actually, and it's something I actually hate to see. Someone tells their story and the automatic response is usually "oh you must have been a doormat/had alterior motives from the start."

But look at it this way: 9 times out of 10, the one with the malevolent agenda as you put it, will never change. They're just bad seeds, and have probably left a wreckage of bodies behind in their path. They won't change, but you can. Don't be another victim, pick yourself back up and identify how you were wronged so for next time, you'll know better and avoid the bad ones like the plague.

I agree with you actually, and it's something I actually hate to see. Someone tells their story and the automatic response is usually "oh you must have been a doormat/had alterior motives from the start."

But look at it this way: 9 times out of 10, the one with the malevolent agenda as you put it, will never change. They're just bad seeds, and have probably left a wreckage of bodies behind in their path. They won't change, but you can. Don't be another victim, pick yourself back up and identify how you were wronged so for next time, you'll know better and avoid the bad ones like the plague.

point i was making is that victim blaming is extremley common and almost the default possition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

bee_keeper wrote: »
    its easy for some people to be good and a lot less easy for others

i know good people who were convinced they were the devil incarnate by people with a malevolent agenda

Sure what even is good or bad?
    Is it what your particular culture believes to be good?
    That same thing could be 'bad' in another culture.
    If you are 'good' or find it easy to be 'good', that could all change in an instant depending on your circumstances.
    Nobody can say a person is good or not because there is no such thing, only what your subjective perspective tells you is 'good' based on your personal experiences.
    You could well be wrong, and actually be 'bad' - who knows?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Yeah, I think I'm a good person. I'm not nice to the extent that I'll let people walk all over me and I'm able to stand up for myself, but in general I'm alright.

• Advertisement
Advertisement