Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts UCC - Advice needed - Economics and Maths.

• 24-06-2012 3:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Planning on doing Arts after the summer. Was wondering would anyone can tell me about Maths in Arts. Would I be able to teach it afterwards? Is it a rewarding subject to do in Arts?

Also debating about whether to choose Economics or English. I'm currently favoring Economics, but I haven't done it for the leaving cert. I was in one double class and found it incredible interesting. Would I manage Economics without having it done for the leaving?

On the other hand I love the English language. But, I'm not a big fan of dissecting plays and texts like we did for the leaving. I love the structure and history of the language and how it should be used. While I loved the poets I studied for the L.C, I was ambivalent to studying Hamlet. What would you be studying if you chose English?

I don't care about workload, if I enjoy the subject I'll manage just fine. I'm planning on becoming a teacher afterwards.

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Is it Maths or Mathematical studies you are thinking of doing through Arts - big difference between the two

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Adolescenteen

Is it Maths or Mathematical studies you are thinking of doing through Arts - big difference between the two

Maths. Out of curiosity, what is the major differences between two?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Maths. Out of curiosity, what is the major differences between two?

You would generally need to have done HL maths at LC to do maths, whereas ordinary would do for MS - I did MS as it was the only option that I had with my course, some of the modules you would do in year 1 of Maths, you wouldn't do until year 3 of MS

I found that very little of the material I did in my three years of MS to be directly applied to teaching. If you are definite about becoming a teacher, I'd tell you do English, as Economics is not a huge subject in schools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Would I manage Economics without having it done for the leaving?

It varies on the structure of the course and its intentions. The History Dept. begin the 1st year of history as a beginners course; everyone's in the same boat. I'm not sure if the Economics department run that same system.

Having a look at the book of modules (does what it says on the tin) it's hard to tell. http://www.ucc.ie/modules/descriptions/page016.html The ones with EC1--- etc., are relevant to first year. One or two seem like introductory courses. An Economics student would be in a better position to tell you. Why don't you search through the forum?
    But, I'm not a big fan of dissecting plays and texts like we did for the leaving. I love the structure and history of the language and how it should be used. While I loved the poets I studied for the L.C, I was ambivalent to studying Hamlet. What would you be studying if you chose English?

If dissecting and analysis isn't your thing then I would recommend to avoid English. There's a fair bit of focus on that for the subject. In 1st year you'll study drama, poetry, plays, film, etc. so it seems like it may not be your thing. That said, analysis is absolutely essential in subjects so it's likely you'll be doing that in anything you pick.

I'm not sure if they're in the same groupings but you could possibly pick English, Economics, Maths, and one other subject for first year. Then in second, you can drop two. 1st year gives you a 'feel' for the subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Adolescenteen

If dissecting and analysis isn't your thing then I would recommend to avoid English. There's a fair bit of focus on that for the subject. In 1st year you'll study drama, poetry, plays, film, etc. so it seems like it may not be your thing. That said, analysis is absolutely essential in subjects so it's likely you'll be doing that in anything you pick.

I'm not sure if they're in the same groupings but you could possibly pick English, Economics, Maths, and one other subject for first year. Then in second, you can drop two. 1st year gives you a 'feel' for the subjects.

I think I may veer away from English so. The problem is that English and Economics are in the same grouping, which is causing trouble. I'm planning on doing Maths, History, Studies in Psychology and either Economics or English.

I had a look awhile ago, but didn't really find anything. I'll have a bigger search now.

Thanks to the two you so far for replying. It is much appreciated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement