Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Hunt - anyone heard from him?

• 24-06-2012 3:46am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

If there is one player out of the Irish squad that must be fairly pissed off it's Hunt i'd say. At least McClean got 10 minutes! Hunt got 0 minutes warming the bench. There were rumours a player had to be talked out of leaving the camp during their participation. Hunt? I cannot see how he did not get a single second on the pitch for the 3 games. Something wrong there. He is an established player. Anyone heard anything on radio or tv? I have not heard of Hunt speaking publicly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

A lack of Stephen Hunt was the least of our problems during our Euro Championships.

If anything, there are too many players of Stephen Hunt's level in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I remember him talking to newstalk on their off the ball show after the Spain game. He only was doing the usual disappointed/gotta look to the next game etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Jayob10 wrote: »
    A lack of Stephen Hunt was the least of our problems during our Euro Championships.

If anything, there are too many players of Stephen Hunt's level in the squad.
    Very unfair to Stephen Hunt IMO. Has always given it his all in an Irish shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Hunt is a very average winger. Both McGeady and McClean offer so much more than he does.
    Gibson was supposedly very upset about he lack of gametime. Rightly so too IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

I also think Hunt and the others should have been given some pitch-time at the Euros.
    Not that I rate him but by Game 3 it really made no difference and it's not like the first choice XI were exactly covering themselves in glory anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Can never understand the love some people have for Gibson, hes never done anything out of the ordianry in an Ireland shirt, at least Hunt is an impact player when he comes on a game, Gibson should be capable of putting his foot on the ball, slowing things, passing etc but he usually just trots round the middle and lashes 40 yarders miles wide and over. Having said that i think both should have gotten some game time given Traps BS excuses for not bringing other players because he had faith in his squad and wanted to be loyal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

He should be thankful he was brought. A very average footballer who does give his all, but in truth with any other manager I can't see how he'd have made it. He has nothing to complain about tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Can never understand the love some people have for Gibson, hes never done anything out of the ordianry in an Ireland shirt, at least Hunt is an impact player when he comes on a game, Gibson should be capable of putting his foot on the ball, slowing things, passing etc but he usually just trots round the middle and lashes 40 yarders miles wide and over. Having said that i think both should have gotten some game time given Traps BS excuses for not bringing other players because he had faith in his squad and wanted to be loyal.

Paul fcuking Green got on ahead of him. That's more people's problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

He runs his socks off, but does not possess the required level of skill. I doubt we will see him in an Irish jersey again, he will give way to younger players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

I actually now suspect Trap put Paul Green on vs Spain as nothing more than a "fúck you" to those in the media who had questioned the manager for bringing him along.

The fact Green wasn't even in the original squad tells you that even Trap didn't rate him, that he was way down the pecking order and was never (despite the conclusion some people have now half-heartedly reached) our "first midfield sub" in even Traps opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

SantryRed wrote: »
    Paul fcuking Green got on ahead of him. That's more people's problem.
    And again i completely agree with that, Green shouldnt have been in the squad let alone on the pitch.

Degag wrote: »
    Very unfair to Stephen Hunt IMO. Has always given it his all in an Irish shirt.

I don't think anyone is disputing that he gives his all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

back page of the mirror this morning.

AwKGcAQCIAIW_sD.jpg:large

Hunt, Gibson, McClean all not too happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Hunt has always punched above his level for Ireland (reminds me of Gary Breen), so it was a mystery to me that he did not feature in any of the matches.

I think he is 31, so he may never get the chance in a big tournament, again.

back page of the mirror this morning.

AwKGcAQCIAIW_sD.jpg:large

Hunt, Gibson, McClean all not too happy.

i'm presuming thats boll*x, i'd certainly hope McClean is not that much of an idiot.

In the squad all of 5 minutes and he's making a stink. Hope he's not believing his own hype, he's no Messi. He's no Damien Duff FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

The question is does his use of 'shambles' refer to his not being picked or some wider concern?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i'm presuming thats boll*x, i'd certainly hope McClean is not that much of an idiot.

In the squad all of 5 minutes and he's making a stink. Hope he's not believing his own hype, he's no Messi. He's no Damien Duff FFS

Thinking the same thing too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

he 100% said it, the context of what he meant is open to interpretation, but there can be very few meanings to be honest.

Advertisement