Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best restaurant in Inishowen?

Options
  • 24-06-2012 4:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,621 ✭✭✭✭

What would you all say is the best quality restaurant in the Buncrana, Carndonagh, Culdaff, Redcastle area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,621 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No recommendations at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 OEMBS

Red Door in fahan is tasty but pricey, firebox grill next to it aint too bad either just bring a big stomach.:D

Have ate in the Firebox before and loved it.

Never tried the Red Door , will consider it. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Inish Gael

It would be difficult to beat Harry's in Bridgend or An Grianan Hotel in Burt for good food.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭appleb

Butter Bean, Carndonagh. Good food and reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Inish Gael wrote: »
    It would be difficult to beat Harry's in Bridgend or An Grianan Hotel in Burt for good food.:)

Harrys yes, but last time we ate in An Griannan, the food was cold and the manager didnt do a thing about it, wont ever be back!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Harrys yes, but last time we ate in An Griannan, the food was cold and the manager didnt do a thing about it, wont ever be back!:(

I can be hit or miss alright. I've ate in there and loved it and also ate and hardly eaten anything (and that's saying something).

When its good its very very good, but when its bad its very very bad. I'd settle for somewhere in between.

I think the Firebox Grill is leading so far. As I said, been before, but no-one has sold me on another restaurant enough.

By all means keep trying though.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

OEMBS wrote: »
    Red Door in fahan is tasty but pricey, firebox grill next to it aint too bad either just bring a big stomach.:D

Pretty much a +1 to that, those would be my top two in/around Buncrana.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

The tavern fahan (mentioned) is probably the best.

The harbour inn in buncrana isn't bad.. nice setting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rmchmufc

The Ubiquitous in Buncrana is very good I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭onway

My three favourites - Tavern, Harrys, Butterbean.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

I go with Harrys, excellent food and the most friendly staff i ever came across in a restaurant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

I go with Harrys, excellent food and the most friendly staff i ever came across in a restaurant

I agree, as an all rounder, pricewise, quality food, nice staff..it never fails imo.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭bombadil

I would have to agree that Harry's is the best restaurant in Inishowen... although the flame cooked steak in the Tavern is hard to beat! Harry's is very good value for money given the standard of food and great staff. I would also recommend the lodge in Ballyliffen for pub grub or the Red Door in Fahan for fine dining (although the red door is a little over priced!)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rmchmufc

Another one I like is the Italian restaurant Primavera, which is also in Buncrana

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭martyeds

Myself and the misses called into Malin Hotel a few weekends ago and were very impressed. Food was reasonably priced, staff were excellent also. Its a bit far north but if you are passing through the village its worth calling into.

martyeds wrote: »
    Myself and the misses called into Malin Hotel a few weekends ago and were very impressed. Food was reasonably priced, staff were excellent also. Its a bit far north but if you are passing through the village its worth calling into.

Yeah know it well, top spot. Does lovely grub.

Agree also... had forgotten about the Malin Hotel!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

I would personally reccomend the beach house in buncrana

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Harry's in Bridgend and the Tavern in Fahan would be my favourites followed closely by The Red Door in Fahan and The Beach House in Buncrana :)

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Update: went for the Firebox Grill, and again had an excellent meal. Can never find fault with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

NIMAN wrote: »
    Update: went for the Firebox Grill, and again had an excellent meal. Can never find fault with it.

Soooo what your saying is you asked for opinion's then went with what you knew anyway :pac:

Sadly yes!

I hadn't been to the Firebox in a while, and I also wanted to see if anywhere in particular got a lot of recommendations, which may have swayed me.

I had tried Harrys a fair bit over the last 10 yrs or so, and the OH had also eaten in the Beach House recently with friends, so the list was dwindling. As I say, we hadn't been at the Firebox in a few years and I decided to give it a go.

But thanks all for your opinions. I have a few places now in mind for our next night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Anyone ever eaten in Kealy's of Greencastle?

Kealys had a great reputation at one time but think it has gone down somewhat. Anyone I know that has eaten there in recent times said it was just okay and a bit pricey...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

rmchmufc wrote: »
    Another one I like is the Italian restaurant Primavera, which is also in Buncrana

Does anyone know if this is this run by the same people who used to have Primavera in Letterkenny?

(back on thread) There is supposed to be a great seafood restaurant in Greencastle...

The Primavera in Buncrana is not, as far as I am aware, owned by the same people that that Primavera in Letterkenny. Primaver in Buncrana has a good name for pizza locally!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭The Idyll Race

boxer.fan wrote: »
    Anyone ever eaten in Kealy's of Greencastle?

Last had a meal in Kealy's around five years ago, it was just great, don't know what it's like currently.

• Advertisement
Advertisement