Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Rifles,--What & Where to buy?

Options
  • 24-06-2012 8:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

I am seriously considering taking up shooting again after 20+yrs.I have owned a selection of shotguns and .22 rifles.This time I want to buy an Air rifle but I don't know exactly what or where to buy or how much. I have done some research but I'm still not sure whether .177 or .22 ? The Weihrauch range looks good (HW95k - nice), Gamo is the only brand in my local dealer, I have read very negative reports on BSA & Gamo.Has Ireland got a Weihrauch dealer ? I would rather buy something proper and decent that will last rather than waste time and money on something that would need upgrading or replacing in a few years. I am open to any suggestions and info. Thanks:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭beretta686s

yes i got mine hw95 through connollys in gorsebridge in kilkenny very happy with it haw a hw77 b4 that great guns both in.22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭rabbit assassin

I think firstly you have to ask yourself what type of shooting you will be doing and how often?
    If its once in a blue moon, the odd shot around the farm etc then Id go for a break barrel .177 as it is flat shooting and break barrel springers are generally cheaper than fancy pcp guns. If you are serious about getting back into the sport and want something reliable, accurate and that will do the job hassle free for a long time then go for a .22 pcp.

The .177 is a great calibre and has a fantastic trajectory, but I find that it over penetrates. I shoot rats around the yard with a .177 and it passes straight through them. Yes it does the job and kills them no doubt, but the .22 has a lot more energy and stops them there and then. I find the same with rabbits.
    You want €1000 to get you a good rifle and scope set up, but like everything else the sky is the limit.
    Also try to stick with good brand names like BSA, Weihrauch etc, there are some cheaper brands out there but you really get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Erk

I'd go for a .22 as it has the extra power compared to the .177. Also depends on how much money you have to spend on one. The break barrels are generally alot cheaper than the pcps. A new break barrel would be around €400-€600 and the pcps being €1000-€1300. Could get second hand ones for cheaper. Like Rabbit assassin said stick with good names such as BSA, Air Arms, etc. I had a BSA S10 FAC shot rabbits at 80 yards but i had to put ALOT of pellets through it to get the drops at all the ranges but still the pellet went through the rabbits head. Sean Harding has a good selection of air rifles new and second hand and can get in some for you. I'd go for the pcp as there better than the break barrel, quicker loading and less problems imo i found that with mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

The Weihrauch HW100 is regarded as probably the best all rounder PCP on the market.
    Its got a 14 shot flawless magazine and comes in full length or carbine.
    Fit and finish are top quality German engineering.
    The downside is that you get about 60 useful shots from a a fill so that means carrying a bottle in the car. Most people say you wan't be carrying 60 rabbits but there will always be a few shots for the fun of it.!
    Otherwise all the Weihrauchs springers are well built but don't discard the Air Arms pro sport ( the best looking springer imho ) or the Theoben range.
    The .22 vs .177 is an eternal debate but don't forget you can custom order a .20 HW - the best of both worlds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭021CRETE01

yes i got mine hw95 through connollys in gorsebridge in kilkenny very happy with it haw a hw77 b4 that great guns both in.22
    Sorry for late response, I rang the guy in Connollys and was very helpful and informative.I have in the meantime chosen to go for a .22LR instead (still in my system I suppose).Anyway thanks a lot for your prompt response.

• Advertisement

I think firstly you have to ask yourself what type of shooting you will be doing and how often?
    If its once in a blue moon, the odd shot around the farm etc then Id go for a break barrel .177 as it is flat shooting and break barrel springers are generally cheaper than fancy pcp guns. If you are serious about getting back into the sport and want something reliable, accurate and that will do the job hassle free for a long time then go for a .22 pcp.

The .177 is a great calibre and has a fantastic trajectory, but I find that it over penetrates. I shoot rats around the yard with a .177 and it passes straight through them. Yes it does the job and kills them no doubt, but the .22 has a lot more energy and stops them there and then. I find the same with rabbits.
    You want €1000 to get you a good rifle and scope set up, but like everything else the sky is the limit.
    Also try to stick with good brand names like BSA, Weihrauch etc, there are some cheaper brands out there but you really get what you pay for.
    Sorry for late response and thanks for all the helpful info.I have since decided to go for a .22 LR.
    Thanks again.

Erk wrote: »
    I'd go for a .22 as it has the extra power compared to the .177. Also depends on how much money you have to spend on one. The break barrels are generally alot cheaper than the pcps. A new break barrel would be around €400-€600 and the pcps being €1000-€1300. Could get second hand ones for cheaper. Like Rabbit assassin said stick with good names such as BSA, Air Arms, etc. I had a BSA S10 FAC shot rabbits at 80 yards but i had to put ALOT of pellets through it to get the drops at all the ranges but still the pellet went through the rabbits head. Sean Harding has a good selection of air rifles new and second hand and can get in some for you. I'd go for the pcp as there better than the break barrel, quicker loading and less problems imo i found that with mine.
    Thanks ERK for your prompt and informative response and sorry for my overdue response.I have since chosen to buy a .22LR and am still shopping.
    Regards

recipio wrote: »
    The Weihrauch HW100 is regarded as probably the best all rounder PCP on the market.
    Its got a 14 shot flawless magazine and comes in full length or carbine.
    Fit and finish are top quality German engineering.
    The downside is that you get about 60 useful shots from a a fill so that means carrying a bottle in the car. Most people say you wan't be carrying 60 rabbits but there will always be a few shots for the fun of it.!
    Otherwise all the Weihrauchs springers are well built but don't discard the Air Arms pro sport ( the best looking springer imho ) or the Theoben range.
    The .22 vs .177 is an eternal debate but don't forget you can custom order a .20 HW - the best of both worlds.

Thanks very much for all your info and time and apologies for my v.late response.I have done more research and decided to go for a .22LR instead so here goes my licence appln. for starters.
    Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

;) Most welcome. As you say you have previously owned a .22 so you know the pro's and cons. An air rifle is great however you want to shoot around buildings,into trees and on water.
    In general airgun stocks in Irish shops are meagre unlike the UK. Over there they have a thriving airgun scene with shops, HFT/FT, airgun clubs and healthy second hand trade in airguns. I'm blue in the face preaching about this so I'm gonna stop now.:D Its a good example however of how legislation can kill a hobby. ?

Advertisement