Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England V Italy

• 24-06-2012 10:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭

Euro 2012 quarter-final: England v Italy
    • Venue: Olympic Stadium, Kiev
    • Date: Sun, 24 June
    • Kick-off: 19:45 BST
    Coverage: RTE 2, RTE 2 HD, BBC One, BBC One HD, BBC Sport website and BBC Radio 5 live

England are expected to be unchanged for Sunday's Euro 2012 quarter-final against Italy in Kiev.
    Manager Roy Hodgson is likely to retain Danny Welbeck as Wayne Rooney's striking partner and leave both Andy Carroll and Theo Walcott on the bench.
    Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini will miss the tie because of a thigh injury with Leonardo Bonucci set to take his place against England.

My prediction - 2-1 England after extra time

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Is it like an unspoken rule that any title with England in it on the forum has to have that spelling?

England to go through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭carefulnow100

Any offical team news for the Italians released yet?

Ballotelli to start possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i think its best that england lose tonight with dignity,

cause i honestly think they'll be slaughtered & humiliated by the germans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

stovelid wrote: »
    Is it like an unspoken rule that any title with England in it on the forum has to have that spelling?

Agreed. Cringeworthy stuff.

As for the game 1-1 in 90 mins with England to win it in extra time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Need Italy to complete my quarter final accum so its Italy maybe after extra time and pens for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Have Italy in a sweepstakes so hope they go through, much to the dismay of my housemate. Although I do think England will go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Chiellini is a massive loss for Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Just have gut feeling that England will beat them.

Might need extra time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

fryup wrote: »

Agree. But you never know. It's a funny old game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Arf! That's an interesting way of hoping England lose! If they should edge past Italy the semi-final is like a "free game" - no one expects this Germany to be beaten by anyone except Spain (even then....)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Looking forward to Ballotelli trying to trick Hart with the last penalty kick by doing an overhead scissor header.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Think we could have a 2-2 thriller in 90mins & Italy to sneak it in extra time or on penalties....

But any shots on goal would be an improvement from last nights shadow boxing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

2/1 with PP for a draw. I cant see neither of these teams going for it if it is level after half time. 0 0 could be a good bet.
    5/1 for 0 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

That was the thinking in 1990.
    But only got beaten on pens after matching the Germans for 2 hours.
    Even in 2010 had fat Frank's goal been allowed it would have been 2-2 at HT.
    Never underestimate England's resolve against the old enemy.

mike65 wrote: »
    Arf! That's an interesting way of hoping England lose! If they should edge past Italy the semi-final is like a "free game" - no one expects this Germany to be beaten by anyone except Spain (even then....)

nah, i like to see england do well in this competition..but i really think with germany's form and extra two days rest they'll hammer whoever they get in the semi's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Just have that feeling about England. Think they'll sneak it but there'll be plenty of nervy moments for them.

Tbh I think it would be unlikely that this particular team gets hammered by Germany. They hammer a limited Greek side and suddenly they're unplayable? While I think Germany are the best team in it, I don't think anyone will have it easy against England at this stage but time will tell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

nah, i like to see england do well in this competition..but i really think with germany's form and extra two days rest they'll hammer whoever they get in the semi's

Germany have a big advantage. But is the semi in Ukraine thus negating advantage with travelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Absolute rubbish. WIll have no bearing

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Cant see England posing too much of a threat. 2-0 Italy.

Need a draw to bring up a 4 game accum, so I know what I'm cheering for !

Could go any way though, hardest of all the quarters to call.

• Advertisement

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Absolute rubbish. WIll have no bearing

of course it will, are you trying to tell me that two extra days recovery will have absolutely no advantage for a team??? c'mon now

read this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Chiellini is a massive loss for Italy.

I reckon Italy will cope surprisingly well, actually.

In my view Italy should play 3-5-2 even though it looks as though they will be playing the diamond they did against you guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

The Germans didn't hammer the Greeks so I doubt they'll hammer a much more disciplined English side with much better players

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Fishooks12 wrote: »

The Germans didn't hammer the Greeks so I doubt they'll hammer a much more disciplined English side with much better players

I disagree, I think the Germans did hammer the Greeks, on another day they could have put 6 or 7 past them. They should have been 2 nil up after 10 minutes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I would fancy England to beat the germans IF they got there, the germans are getting a name for being bottlers near the end of competitions, the last 3 championships and 2 CL finals, the pressure to beat england comfortably might get to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

niallo27 wrote: »
    I would fancy England to beat the germans IF they got there, the germans are getting a name for being bottlers near the end of competitions, the last 3 championships and 2 CL finals, the pressure to beat england comfortably might get to them.

Interesting that you mention that.

For all the talk about German teams been hard to beat and that self belief their record in a Final is actually average.

They seem to overachieve with some teams and do well with strong teams that have had, but they do have a weakness in finishing off the job.

They have lost more major finals then they won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

The Germany B team beat Greece, so some of their team will have had an even longer rest by the SF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

1-0 to Italy in a game so boring that parents will use the DVD for decades to put children to sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That was hardly a B team, to describe it as such is a disservice to the players in question, Greece and indeed football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

That was hardly a B team, to describe it as such is a disservice to the players in question, Greece and indeed football.
    I think thats what happens when people listen too much to Dunphy and co who havent a clue about anything outside the PL.

Yeah you're right, benching Gomez, Podolski and Mueller wouldn't have weakened them at all, and these players certainly won't be any fresher in the semi-final as a result. But by all means continue to blindly miss my point to remain on your pedantic high horse.
    I think thats what happens when people listen too much to Dunphy and co who havent a clue about anything outside the PL.

I watched the game in Italy with five Germans, who all called the team their "B" team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Have a feeling this one will go to penalties, Italy to win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Chiellini will be a huge loss, Im still sitting on the fence with this one, depends on who starts up front for Italy I think, if its Cassano/Di Natale I think England will do better, the pace of Balotelli would cause them more problems I think.

Hoping for penalties in this one to give my bet a chance

I'm not sure Balotelli will or should start. Aside from the "they'll know how to wind him up" angle, there's the far more important point that Terry and Lescott will have far more experience playing against a "big man" centre-forward. He'll probably come on late on into the game to lob himself around a bit.

Had a little laugh on SSN just now, they are watching the players go for a stroll through Kiev, the players going in rows of twos and threes all in one big group, the reporter talking about how there is no factions, how everybody is together and the team is unified.............then you see John Terry at the very back, behind all the players :)

Means fcuk all more then likely, but was amusing given what the reporter was trying to show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I hope this 'two days extra' thing isn't put up as an excuse by England/Italy if they lose a semi.

Its the nature of these competitions that Group A plays on Day 1,5,9 and GroupD plays on Day 4,8,12.
    So theres an immediate 3 day offset in the schedule which must be closed by the time teams from these groups are scheduled to potentially meet (semi-final stage).
    The only real way around it would be to have Day9 and 10 as blank, and finish all 4 groups on Day11 and 12, and then have all the quarter finals over 2 days, with again an extra two blank days. A fairer schedule, but jesus who would want all those extra blank days?

FWIW, Spain overcame being drawn in GroupH at the 2010 World Cup (i.e. a more compressed schedule than other teams) so its not really that big an obstacle.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I'm not sure Balotelli will or should start. Aside from the "they'll know how to wind him up" angle, there's the far more important point that Terry and Lescott will have far more experience playing against a "big man" centre-forward. He'll probably come on late on into the game to lob himself around a bit.

Cassano or Di Natale don't have the pace these days to trouble the centre backs, the trickery of Balotelli would be an advatnage I feel. All players know how to wind him up sure, doesn't mean he isn't worth his place, he tends to turn up when he is motivated. (Why always me?)

A game against England would surely motivate him?

I don't view him as a "big man" centre forward, maybe I'm wrong, I still see him as being reliant on his pace and trickery at the moment, he is strong, sure, but he has plenty more strings to his bow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Putting money on under 1.5 goals at 6/4.

kryogen wrote: »
    Cassano or Di Natale don't have the pace these days to trouble the centre backs, the trickery of Balotelli would be an advatnage I feel. All players know how to wind him up sure, doesn't mean he isn't worth his place, he tends to turn up when he is motivated. (Why always me?)

A game against England would surely motivate him?

Yeah that's a good point. But of course, you get him too motivated, he'll probably ninja-kick someone in the temple and get sent off. Interesting to see what happens.

I don't view him as a "big man" centre forward, maybe I'm wrong, I still see him as being reliant on his pace and trickery at the moment, he is strong, sure, but he has plenty more strings to his bow

Nor do I, but it seems to be more the way he's deployed when playing for Italy. He took in a lot of long balls in the Spain match, and I thought he did the job quite well.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

I can see Italy winning this one comfortably. I think this Italian side is a lot better than people give credit. That said Chiellini is a huge loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

I need an England win to finish off my accume and would be much more confident if young and milner where dropped, particularly young.
    Should be a good game either ways

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

The England team gets a lot of respect from your average punter over here. The commentators and pundits big them up as well. You would wonder if that general attitude could potentialy translate through to the players who might play with an element of fear and hesitation. If Italy are confident and play to their strengths, an Italy win, but I honestly feel England will do this tonight.

population wrote: »
    The England team gets a lot of respect from your average punter over here. The commentators and pundits big them up as well. You would wonder if that general attitude could potentialy translate through to the players who might play with an element of fear and hesitation. If Italy are confident and play to their strengths, an Italy win, but I honestly feel England will do this tonight.

A loro non piace "calcio inglese", gli Italiani. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

A loro non piace "calcio inglese", gli Italiani. ;)

They do not like playing against it but they do have respect for it

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭bookie basher

italy definitely have an edge in midfield, better passers and extra numbers in midfield mean gerrard & parker will have to chase alot, theirs not alot of pace on either side, balotelli for italy & wellbeck & young seem the only pacy players.
    everyone is tipping a tight game & im no different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

kryogen wrote: »
    Cassano or Di Natale don't have the pace these days to trouble the centre backs,
    Di Natale still has pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

I need an England win to finish off my accume and would be much more confident if young and milner where dropped, particularly young.
    Should be a good game either ways

Young was much better against Ukraine. Milner has been pretty awful in this tournament, no doubt, and I usually like him for City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Di Natale not having the pace these days :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Yeah you're right, benching Gomez, Podolski and Mueller wouldn't have weakened them at all, and these players certainly won't be any fresher in the semi-final as a result. But by all means continue to blindly miss my point to remain on your pedantic high horse.

I watched the game in Italy with five Germans, who all called the team their "B" team.

They were wrong. It wasn't a b-team by any means, it was a team designed to beat Greece.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Italy 2 England 1

• Advertisement
Advertisement