Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England V Italy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

At least Young went for his, unlike Cole. Game of inches.

Pirlo :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Invincible

markie29 wrote: »
    Pirlo wiped the smug smile of Harts face!!...delighted

So much for all their penalty practise, delighted Italy won,were unlucky to not score earlier. That'll shut them up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Also, that English performance was no better then anything Ireland served up. Just food for thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Stevie g doesn't sweat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the right team won.

fúck the "Cruel on England".

pathetic from a "footballing superpower".

tactically inept too. how nobody was put on Pirlo for even part of the game, i don't know.

oh, and speaking of him, i fúcking love Andrea Pirlo. up there with Xavi as the best in that position in the modern era. maybe ever. and that's not just on tonight. tonight only further cements it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

niallo27 wrote: »
    That's what you get when you put a really sub standard manager in charge I'm afraid.
    That's what you get when you put an alright manager with sub standard teams with ideas above their station.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭rKossi

ITALY <3
    ti amo miglior team di ragazzi in tutto il mondo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

J. Marston wrote: »
    Pirlo's penalty...

griffins_balls_of_steel.jpg

Beat me to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Just hope after this game won't have to ever again have to deal with random retards talking about "Fast paced attacking English football" and "boring Italian catenaccio" lol :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Give him time. He'll turn things around...

I doubt it tbh. He has a defensive mentality and against teams like Italy or Germany- England would always be toast

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Invincible wrote: »

So much for all their penalty practise, delighted Italy won,were unlucky to not score earlier. That'll shut them up :)

Shut who up? The media have been far better than they normally are, they knew they were rubbish

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭rKossi

kitakyushu wrote: »
    I think Pirlo won it with that kick. It must have calmed the other Italians down a bit.

Yes king Pirlo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

SlickRic wrote: »
    the right team won.

fúck the "Cruel on England".

pathetic from a "footballing superpower".

tactically inept too. how nobody was put on Pirlo for even part of the game, i don't know.

oh, and speaking of him, i fúcking love Andrea Pirlo. up there with Xavi as the best in that position in the modern era. maybe ever. and that's not just on tonight. tonight only further cements it.

England are no longer a Football Superpower. Haven't been for 15/20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

Was rooting for England, but kind of glad they didn't win...it would, in footballing terms, have been a travesty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Also, that English performance was no better then anything Ireland served up. Just food for thought.

unlike Ireland, England have players on 200k a week at high calibre clubs.

and they are over paid tossers.

all of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Thought Hart was going to break into the Haka on his line there with the face pulling.

Three awful penos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Pirlo in a league of his own tonight. That penalty was one of the greatest I've seen. Just amazing. Delighted for him that he Italy won. He dragged them through on his own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Really summed up Young's game tbh. Didn't look one bit assured stepping up but fair play for taking it on. Thought Cole was outstanding all tournament felt bad for him but awful pen.

Overall better team won no question. Fancy Germany to beat Italy with little difficulty though but you'd never know

I'd say Pirlo's heart rate hardly rose then.

What a cool motherfúcker

Sympathy for england:rolleyes:

None whatsoever! If they had won- massive injustice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Exactly what was said in my house! Smug fcker.......... now not so smug :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Obviously time to leave this thread seeing as some idiots seem delighted to stick the boot in. Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Look's like someone's got a case of the Ashleys!
    Something patronising to say when someone misses a peno from now on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

my english friends facebook status
    Ah I love supporting England, much like making love to a woman it's 120 minutes of foreplay for 5 minutes of wham bam mam, ultimately ending in dissapointment, same in 2 years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Now we wont have to endure the English media talking **** for the rest of the year.
    Must turn over to Sky News to laugh at them:p

Maybe you wouldn't have to endure the English media full stop if you weren't so quick to turn over to them at the drop of a hat.

Take Pirlo out of this side. Would they be Euro's quarter final standard? Don't think so myself tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

There is only one man to blame for their exit and that's Hodgson.

He left Rooney up front isolated whilst also leaving Pirlo pull the strings .

If you play that negative and want peno's then you reap what you sow.

Well deserved win for Italy who should have stepped it up another gear and won it in 90mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

It's been said but Pirlo's performance tonight will go down as one of the best midfield displays at a major tournament. Head and shoulders above everyone on the pitch. Just brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

kitakyushu wrote: »
    I think Pirlo won it with that kick. It must have calmed the other Italians down a bit.

Definitely agree with this. So lucky to have him in there. They'll need to wrap him in cotton wool until Thursday. He is their only hope of getting past Germany. Without him they haven't a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

England were a joke.

Pirlo and Buffon, absolute balls of steel.

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    Thought Hart was going to break into the Haka on his line there with the face pulling.

Three awful penos.

Haha true. 1960s style of intimidating players during a peno shootout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

England need a manager like Wenger or Pep. they would although need 2-4 years to build a complete new english team from the ground up who will be taught how to play football properly with flair and passion.

Even if we diddnt get Roy and got Wenger, Pep or Morinho instead, it is not enough time to teach these players to play proper barca style football. I dont know if Roy is the right man to do it.

Can Roy now get rid of Rooney. terry and gerrard and stick to his guns with the youngsers and actually build a team around walcott, Ox, Wilshere, Henderson and TEACH them how to play possesion football?

Does Roy have the balls to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Really summed up Young's game tbh. Didn't look one bit assured stepping up but fair play for taking it on. Thought Cole was outstanding all tournament felt bad for him but awful pen.

Overall better team won no question. Fancy Germany to beat Italy with little difficulty though but you'd never know
    Cole was excellent, he should be the next England Captain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

mike65 wrote: »
    Hardly, he'll be in charge for at least one full campaign. I'd say that'll be the effective swansong for Terry, Gerrard and maybe one or two other old soldiers.
    It'll be a quite different looking squad in two years.

Terry is only 31. He will definetely play in the World cup if they get there.

Harry will be in charge by Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Leiva wrote: »
    There is only one man to blame for their exit and that's Hodgson.

He left Rooney up front isolated whilst also leaving Pirlo pull the strings .

If you play that negative and want peno's then you reap what you sow.

Well deserved win for Italy who should have stepped it up another gear and won it in 90mins.

Leaving Rooney on was probably the main error, nothing stuck to him, he had no legs to exploit Carrolls knock downs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Gif of the decade?

ixSNKeWYY7zCQ.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Be interesting to see the reaction had Balotelli taken a peno like Pirlo's and scored, like Liam was predicting. Don't think half the praise would have been given. Great penalty by a great player (Pirlo's) all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Most boring Euro quarter finals eeever. as Comic Book Guy would say!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

England need a manager like Wenger or Pep. they would although need 2-4 years to build a complete new english team from the ground up who will be taught how to play football properly with flair and passion.

Even if we diddnt get Roy and got Wenger, Pep or Morinho instead, it is not enough time to teach these players to play proper barca style football. I dont know if Roy is the right man to do it.

Can Roy now get rid of Rooney. terry and gerrard and stick to his guns with the youngsers and actually build a team around walcott, Ox, Wilshere, Henderson and TEACH them how to play possesion football?

Does Roy have the balls to do that?

You can't teach 20 years old how to pass the ball, hold onto possession and improve technique.

This is done when they are kids.

English players lack technical ability of their counterparts on the continent and South America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Absolutely delighted England didn't win! They were shocking tonight and didn't deserve to take it to penalties even.

Poor performance from every player on the pitch wearing white, on any other night it would have been 4/5-1 easily.

I can see Italy giving Germany a good run for their money now however.

Pirlo was pure class again tonight and surely is favourite for the player of the tournament now. He is a joy to watch, a player who is as fast as a slow puncture but when he is on the ball, he owns it. His range of passing was superb. Short, long, to feet, over the top. An absolute amazing performance. No single player has played anywhere near as well as him this tournament.

Has anyone got Pirlo's stats for tonight? Passing percentages etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The better team went through to play Germany

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Harry will be in charge by Christmas.

In your dreams.

Wait for the spin by the English FA- young promising team that was assembled in a fortnight, we expect great things from them in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

English media are really convincing themselves, the fans, team and Roy that they have been good in this tournament despite creating nothing tonight.

It will all end in tears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Better Team won tonight and I'm delighted...

England played very like Ireland tonight, didn't retain possession, gave Italy too much space and time on the ball...

Very poor side, but Italy shouldn't cause any trouble to the German's in the semi's

*400th post

• Advertisement

KINGVictor wrote: »
    In your dreams.

Wait for the spin by the English FA- young promising team that was assembled in a fortnight, we expect great things from them in the future.

We'll see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

As bad as Balotelli was for Italy, Rooney was a liability for England tonight. Gave the ball away and made a balls of england attacks on way to many occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

murpho999 wrote: »
    English media are really convincing themselves, the fans, team and Roy that they have been good in this tournament despite creating nothing tonight.

It will all end in tears.

Have you been watching BBC? They've been heavily critising their tactics and inability to keep the ball, one of them summed it up with "this is their level", and I think that's about right

Most boring Euro quarter finals eeever. as Comic Book Guy would say!

Tbh 04 was poor too iirc bar Portugal and England for drama really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

What's the reaction on the beeb and Sky? Are they admitting they deserved to lose or are they cursing their luck?

• Advertisement
Advertisement