Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England V Italy

1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Gbear wrote: »
    Have I been wooshed?:confused:

That is seriously deft and subtle wumery if I have.
    You quoted exactly 10 words from wonderfullife's post. You read one of them incorrectly

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

ankles wrote: »
    so you have a squad of recently produced skilful ball players, not the old guard (Parker FFS) who are a busted flush. Now that could be an exciting team.

Parker's not young but he's hardly England's old guard. He won his position and I'd say was probably one of the first names on the sheet for an absolutely excellent season at Spurs. Also, the reason he did so well was because he provided cover for exciting attacking midfielders like VDV and Modric ahead of him. When we were playing both Sandro and Parker, he became kind of redundant as the 2 were doing similar jobs and that's what happened this tourney, Parker enables your attacking players to advance but England had no intention of advancing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

ankles wrote: »
    England should have the guts to pick their ball players, and ignore the old guard. remember when Germany picked their young players and threw them in last time? England should be playing (when fit), Wilshere, Cleverley, Rodwell, Oxlade Chamberlain and maybe Young (for the lack of anyone better) in midfield, up front Welbeck if you want ( as a United supporter I'm still not sold) and your pick of Lescott, Jagielka, Jones and Smalling at CB, with Walker and A.N. Other (Richards? Gibbs? ) at RB. Rooney of course as well. so you have a squad of recently produced skilful ball players, not the old guard (Parker FFS) who are a busted flush. Now that could be an exciting team.

Can't see Hodgson picking them though, or putting them in the right formation.

i'd genuinely question whether a large % of the players you named are technically superior to the current side. Glaring exception is Wilshere and Kyle Walker is potentially brilliant but the likes of Cleverley, Rodwell, Ox, whilst all promising, aren't the "new dawn" of "skillful ball players".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Clev is very comfortable on the ball, technically proficient, I haven't watched enough of Oxo to reallt judge, but from a technical level point of view he looks pretty sound, as does Rodwell.

They may not turn out to be better players, but they will certainly be better technically I bet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

09SJw.png

Just the one pass back from kick-off :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Renn wrote: »
    09SJw.png

Just the one pass back from kick-off :D

You should have done Pirlo v Hart. I heard he's the England playmaker these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

England have the players, but whilst they persist in playing 4-4-2, they wont progress

The best england teams and tactics were venables euro 96 team and Robsons 1990 world cup team (after the sweeper was introduced)

Nowt wrong with the players - just watch Utd as young bombs down the wing and crosses for rooney to score time and time again!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

G.K. wrote: »
    I'm not just talking about the Italy game. Over the whole Euros, Terry has made more blocks per game than any other player in the Euros bar 3 (2 of which incedentally are Sledge and Dunne). Whatever the context, his blocking has made him a critical player for England at this Euro.

Really the debate about Terry is almost entirely dependent on the system played.

Under Roy with a deep defensive line he will thrive and his body on the line heroics and aerial ability will count for a lot.

Under AVB and a high line we saw how his lack of pace could be completely exposed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

England have the players
    Sorry but they don't, they really really don't. Results do not lie, they are consistently found wanting on the international stage and shown up for the mediocre side they are.

Ashley Young is evidently a better player in the Premiership, like most of their first 11 V Italy, but that's familiar territory against the same faces every season. A world away from the tournament format where quality shines and, coincidentally, England don't.

Advertisement